Sign in to follow this  
EloquentEsquire

Initial Feedback - Normalized Gear

Can any of you supremely attractive defenders give me an honest assessment of how the normalizing has affected the Mastery Challenges? I won't have a chance to play this update until the weekend (and many tears were had), but I want a bit of planning on what I'm getting involved in.

Are orbs really out? Do your shards still make the maps a bit of a breeze on C1 (which I would honestly expect, the big test I think is going to be C5)?

Hype me up, friendos, and look forward to my overly sarcastic self running through the challenges on public matches this weekend (that is, if most of you even have any maps left to do at that point)!

In Mastery the stats of your gear will fall all the way down to around max campaign level and your ascension is 0. Despite this, it feels far easier than I would have expected. Having shards from higher chaos tiers pretty much cancels out the down scaling and ascension. Chaos 1 with Deadly Strikes and Defense Rates and a couple of Destructions and Vamps is pretty GG. All the failing I've done comes from the imposed challenges. All this being said, don't try to solo all 105 stars --- or at least expect it to be a very rough time. It's very clearly balanced for multiplayer. 

And yes orbs no longer drop. I still have one in my bag and I shall hold on to it for good luck.

Also trying to have 5 stars really underline all issues with the game such as cores taking mysterious damage from javelin throwers at crazy range or random "details" like that. I'm waiting to try the mode more to give my opinion but so far I'm not thrilled, the idea behind it is cute but I don't see the point of creating a new "gamemode" (which is nothing new since it's just chaos normalized with rules, but still chaos) while it could have been added to the core game to begin with. It also goes against the idea of progression that has been instaured in the past updates and now if mastery or chaos trials are expanded the other part will be useless as one invites you to "progress forever" while the other normalize you at all time. Both directions are so contradictory and still they seem to be pushed at the same time. The star system isn't bad though, but I think I'd almost prefer to have forced characters/build in mastery mode rather than using my characters but weirdly tuned down.

I'm enjoying it. Calling it a night at 95 stars. Played for a solid chunk of the afternoon. I solod all but some of the build in 30 sec ones, which are tough solo, but not impossible. It's not that much harder solo, most of the maps are just build Flame at spawn and afk. If you can't build flame, build wpn man. Replace walls with volcano/obelisk when you cant build walls.

@EloquentEsquire quote:

Can any of you supremely attractive defenders give me an honest assessment of how the normalizing has affected the Mastery Challenges? I won't have a chance to play this update until the weekend (and many tears were had), but I want a bit of planning on what I'm getting involved in.

Are orbs really out? Do your shards still make the maps a bit of a breeze on C1 (which I would honestly expect, the big test I think is going to be C5)?

Hype me up, friendos, and look forward to my overly sarcastic self running through the challenges on public matches this weekend (that is, if most of you even have any maps left to do at that point)!

You should definetely take a  look a attack rate and swap in some rate shards for this.