Sign in to follow this  
MaJean

Infinite Onslaught -thoughts.

I think everyone wants the ability to pick the map in the new game mode.  If they did not have that I am sure a lot of people would just quit upon the release of it, because the lack of choices throughout the entire Chaos Trials has been complained about ad nauseam.

I do like [[44100,users]]'s mention of picking the reward you want to work for, which was in the previous onslaught.  That part of the previous mode was very nice and allowed you to work toward what you wanted.

I also like [[43588,users]]'s idea about the 'keystones' like D3.  That would be a great way to allow for 'checkpoints' while allowing players the ability to push for greater challenges.

Hmm... These are some interesting desires and concerns.

It's too bad nobody working on this new thing reads these and understands where the community is coming from.

Darn.  ;)

@Elandrian quote:

Hmm... These are some interesting desires and concerns.

It's too bad nobody working on this new thing reads these and understands where the community is coming from.

Darn.  ;)

I knew this thread was not in vain, thank you Elandrian and the rest of the crew for listening to our concerns and desires...squire_small.png

We just spilled coffee on our plans, which were all in Elandrian's notebook (an amalgamation of game design and recipes utilizing pickles). We're now just going to make a pickle-themed version of all our content. Coming April 2018, Pickle Defenders: The Vinegar'ing, with enhanced smell-o-vision.

Sounds fun:)

@Lawlta quote:

We just spilled coffee on our plans, which were all in Elandrian's notebook (an amalgamation of game design and recipes utilizing pickles). We're now just going to make a pickle-themed version of all our content. Coming April 2018, Pickle Defenders: The Vinegar'ing, with enhanced smell-o-vision.

SYNhYtD2G2Fbymrw weekend imgur pickles thing GIF

Based on what's been said already, I'm also concerned about a marginal increase ad infinitum.

That being said, I would also get some twisted joy out of something like that because it would be hilarious to show up to a chaos 7 map with my fancy schmancy 140k relic from wave bajillion in onslaught and one shot everything with explosive traps like HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?!

Scaling is going to be one of the chief issues to overcome, and there's no panacea or silver bullet for it. If the scaling is too low, players that don't have the time to invest in endless progression will get left in the wake, if it's too high, it trivializes existing content even more than it is already. Players want to get stronger and they want to have fancy shinies to work towards, but the ones that play DD2 also tend to want to hit their head on the wall for a while before that happens. We're weird like that.

@EloquentEsquire quote:

Based on what's been said already, I'm also concerned about a marginal increase ad infinitum.

That being said, I would also get some twisted joy out of something like that because it would be hilarious to show up to a chaos 7 map with my fancy schmancy 140k relic from wave bajillion in onslaught and one shot everything with explosive traps like HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?!

Scaling is going to be one of the chief issues to overcome, and there's no panacea or silver bullet for it. If the scaling is too low, players that don't have the time to invest in endless progression will get left in the wake, if it's too high, it trivializes existing content even more than it is already. Players want to get stronger and they want to have fancy shinies to work towards, but the ones that play DD2 also tend to want to hit their head on the wall for a while before that happens. We're weird like that.

Yeah....I was wondering about that too.....How does infinite difficulty works? 

1. Gear Difficulties where you need higher gears to progress? (which is going to be very bizarre and I hope it's not the case)

2. Is it all about the strategy? And will the difficulty will push you to the brink of no AFK-ing? -  one wrong move or placement or towers and pow! You're out. (which does sound cool)

Or it's no.2 PLUS there's going to be some insane shard powers as some reward to help combat the progressing difficulties? (even cooler)

I do hope Trendy will say that No.1 is NOT the case.......

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

1. Gear Difficulties where you need higher gears to progress? (which is going to be very bizarre and I hope it's not the case)

2. Is it all about the strategy? And will the difficulty will push you to the brink of no AFK-ing? -  one wrong move or placement or towers and pow! You're out. (which does sound cool)

Or it's no.2 PLUS there's going to be some insane shard powers as some reward to help combat the progressing difficulties? (even cooler)

1. Where I understand you hope not this is often the progression path in so many games these days.  Even now that is the case; even now (Chaos).
  2. That would be great however just overload one lane at a time to force the player to help otherwise defenses will have a much higher change to take high damage.
  3. More shards - First they need to fix the dryad and the many other shards that are useless.

@Kambien quote:

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

1. Where I understand you hope not this is often the progression path in so many games these days.  Even now that is the case; even now (Chaos).
  2. That would be great however just overload one lane at a time to force the player to help otherwise defenses will have a much higher change to take high damage.
  3. More shards - First they need to fix the dryad and the many other shards that are useless.

Though I am aware that's the progression path, but to me, adding gear progression in an infinite difficulty is going to make future update challenges redundant, as that's going to be similar to the uncapped Ascension point system when the Trials update just rolled out.

Overloading one lane at a time does sounds pretty cool if that's what you meant.

And I agreed on your point for shards too, they actually need a substantial amount of fixing, shard slot arrangement too.

Off-topic but because someone mentioned Dryad - how exactly is she supposed to be good on the Power Surge incursion? It seems like one of those "common knowledge" things that's just not true (like George Washington's wooden teeth, fun fact - they were actually mostly sheep teeth!).

I'm either doing something horribly wrong or spamming flamethrowers is just better on Power Surge.

@EloquentEsquire quote:

Off-topic but because someone mentioned Dryad - how exactly is she supposed to be good on the Power Surge incursion? It seems like one of those "common knowledge" things that's just not true (like George Washington's wooden teeth, fun fact - they were actually mostly sheep teeth!).

I'm either doing something horribly wrong or spamming flamethrowers is just better on Power Surge.

I think it's the fact that her World Trees don't disappear like all the other defenses do.

As long as they understand that onslaught with infinity waves is a horrible idea, no one has time to spend 2 hours straight doing 100 waves. And instead go down the road of something like D3 Greater rifts and not  something only no lifers can play for many hours straight can do only.

@EloquentEsquire quote:

Oh!

Well jeez, I don't know how I didn't notice that or if it was patched, then. Strange. Guess I need a Mulligan on that one.

LOL yup! Grab a dryad, give her a totem with fortify, then spam auras then GG. Maybe bring along a friend to DPS to lower your stress levels, too. :-)

i missed the Onsloutgh Mode, Infinite Play was Fun to me. Today only do Trials is boring, hope there do soething for the endgame.