Trusting sell values 100% will get you stuck.

Lower tier gear (green,blues, whites w/e) with lower sell value can be better than higher sell value legendaries or mythical. 

You are probably holding onto a bad legendary.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Trusting sell values 100% will get you stuck.

Lower tier gear (green,blues, whites w/e) with lower sell value can be better than higher sell value legendaries or mythical. 

You are probably holding onto a bad legendary.

Sell values won't get you stuck if you are doing it right.

Having a mule character equipping the highest sell value blues from each wave got me through very quickly.  Purples are the other choice for a mule, either way stick to one of the rarities and just keep equipping the highest sell values for that rarity, the sell values should increase even by a little.  My g/f to make sure it was going quick for herself had 2 mules, one for purple and one for blue, since I was building she didn't really need more than one character to dps on, she hit cap in most difficulties before I did.

TL/DR:  For gearing stick to one rarity (blues or purples) and equip the highest sell value gear you can find, you should see a steady increase in the sell values. 

As a side note, gear with lower sell values can and will still drop, just pay attention and equip the ones that drop with higher sell values.

EDIT:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PNFslftU37q0KKEY-2EaxasXFpg2wkGr2kcu8UJ1XqQ/edit#gid=0     

I used that doc to keep track of the caps and such.