Sign in to follow this  
PandynatorDD

Leaderboards..

Not a fan, don't like it, don't find it much fun at all, in its current state.

• RNG.. How can we compete on a leaderboard if the outcome is determined by RNG?
  • Currently what you have to do to compete, is nail down a good strategy, which is fine. But to be a top contender, you just gotta grind it and hope RNG blesses you.
  • Bugs..  There are plenty, sure will maybe get fixed, next year some time.
  • Having to gimp yourself because certain shards or towers basically screws you.
  • Counter intuitive - I don't like how it rewards you for basically playing bad. First off you need to let sub cores die. Why? Make them give 100% XP each and maybe that would fix it. Maybe not, I haven't played enough. But playing bad, shouldn't be rewarded.
  • Score should give a significant amount of XP. I would say a perfect ish score should give 50% more total XP gained from the map.
  • Do we want leaderboards to be about how many Dark Mages and Malthius bosses we get? I don't. You can argue its good planning to keep them alive. Which I agree. But personally don't find it fun or challenging. Since the number of them spawn are random.
  • Where are the Hero damage awards? There are no awards for doing anything with your hero, except not dying.(solo)
  • Lastly a big one for me, too many different leaderboards. I would be much more inclined to try for a high score if it was a weekly event on a single map. Maybe even 1 map per difficulty. It would make it more focused and competition for them would be a lot higher, rather than 50 different ones where no one cares, other than a couple people trying to beat each other.

I understand its a first pass, but just wanted to share why I don't bother doing leaderboards as of right now.

I've maybe done 15 runs total trying to learn how to get a good score. But all of the above just makes me not want to spend time trying to do it.

I welcome all of you that actually enjoy it to chime in and tell me whats fun about it, since I really don't have fun doing it. Other than the added challenge of completing the maps. 

Personally  leaderboards should be balanced and not something you have to grind over and over to get the right combinations of all of the above.

I agree, but I don't want them to spend time on it right now.

Please just focus on endgame, Loot Progression, general QoL (including Trials + Incursions improvements), etc instead.

The weirdest part of leaderboards is that your build need to be LESS efficient to reach the highest score. I tried to do the yeti incursion as fast as  humanly possible (and also with almost every score multiplier) and ended with a mere 5k. That's like only 1/5 of the lowest score on the leaderboard. It doesn't make any sense xD 

LS-d63hNVGk.jpg

It´s fun because: (or at least it WAS fun untill I discovered how few and basic the awards are)

1. It´s something to do, other than log in and do dailies.

2. You can modify how difficult you want it to be, by choosing what awards to go for.

3. It really changes up how you build, when going for 7-10-13 different towers. New is good.

4. Timed challenges. Love it.

5. It takes skill to get your name up on the leaderboards. I dig that. With the added RNG of the Malthius' spawns it takes consistant skill. If you can do the maps flawless, the Malthius spawns will come within a couple of games. 

I definetely agree there should be more hero related awards though.

yep RNG is an issue, and im not a fan of the "use a million different towers" awards.

I gave up after 2-3 days when i realised how reliant I was on dark mages and malthius'.

Good post though [[43706,users]]

No need for Malthius or Skeleton to be in top 3..... misconception skeleton.png

@Zimmermann quote:

yep RNG is an issue, and im not a fan of the "use a million different towers" awards.

I gave up after 2-3 days when i realised how reliant I was on dark mages and malthius'.

Good post though pandynatorDD

@MamaTata quote:

No need for Malthius or Skeleton to be in top 3..... misconception skeleton.png

@Zimmermann quote:

Good post though pandynatorDD

all my #1's in the first 2-3 days were done with Malthius spawns + letting sub cores die.

Granted I was not using the 7+ tower bonuses and was doing it all with rank 1 towers (when rank 2 towers apparently gives a bigger bonus LOL)

So with that said, I think you need malthius to get any reasonable score these days (300k+) ideally more then 1.

Nah, at the moment (as Dreamanime found out), only getting Siege rollers is a bad RNG that gets you down... since they don't give you any boss kill points. So with any other mini-bosses, under 50% DU, 13 towers and some good timing one gets top scores. At least in my dreamland :D Cheers!

@MamaTata quote:

Nah, at the moment (as Dreamanime found out), only getting Siege rollers is a bad RNG that gets you down... since they don't give you any boss kill points. 

LOL that explains why sometimes with malthius' i still got low scores, I just thought it was buggy... but never considered the rollers. 

Screw that 13 tower types btw... utter cancer setups, i never used more then 3 towers, sometimes 4 if i built a SGT.

Well it is the first stage of the leaderboard, and they will work on it over time. Obviously like anything new it has alot of bugs, but many are now found so they can be fixed.

Overall i do like the leaderboards alot Gobu.

It is a challenge, sure RNG plays a role but like Majean says, if you are consistent in with your plan and do, then you get it in a few tries. I do have first placed in quit a few spots were i dont have any malthius or shaman farming in too. Also these issues are more prone to the lower chaos lvl for higher players. C5+ you have to counterbalance and plan a good strategy to get stuff going.

This is also what is fun for me, the whole planning and thinking. In a game where we had not to think in 1 1/2 years because everything was trivialised, the leaderboards are perfect (not for all obviously but for some) for endgame players to see what they truly know about tower mechanic, map placement, handling of wave control, how to manage DU, how to manipulate enemy AI and challenge each other. Alot of thinking goes in what to use, where to use or which bonuses to ignore (you want them all but at some point Gobu).

Issues which should change from my point of view:

• Subcores should provide an adequate Bonus modifyer, so that keeping them alive provides more points overall
  • Bosses should differ in how much points they provide (currently all boss types provide 150 points, if they provide any, alot (not only siege roller) provide 0 points, this is a bug and will be fixed)
  • Team play should be totaly different then it is now when it comes to score, currently it is like single player, just increased difficult mode because of monster scaling, you could rename it to single player+ ranking. There should be an bonus for how active the whole team overall is, not only for each member. Like if 2 people place defenses, this should be rewarded, if 2 people upgrade, it should be rewarded for both too. If different players kill stuff, it should also be rewarded for both!
  • The silly score system for upgrading towers need to change somehow in my eyes 20% for not upgrading and 10% for upgrading to T2 and 0 for T3+

Btw ranking display will get way more modes, and it will be easier to see where you are scored on different maps or where other are scored. 

On the main DD2 discord channel discord.me/dd2 Ice posted a preview of the upcomming search function (because it was postet in there i belive it is fine to link it here).

Completely depends on how you want to approach the leader boards. If you look at it as a buggy first variation of something to come, and a reason to play various game modes it is fun. At this state of the leader boards though if you try to perceive it as anything but a fun addition of things to come, you will be disappointed.

It clearly is not in a state to be treated with a competitive mindset yet. But gives you some variety on doing something other than grinding C7 looking for an upgrade that might net you .0001%  more dps.

I personally love them so far, have been having a ton of fun attempting to compete with Gobu. We discuss strats almost every day and almost always are telling each other how we beat each other out! I suggest approaching them with a mind set that it is just another way to get more replay value out of your game!

We all know they need work still, and so does Trendy! But that is no reason not to have a good time :)

I jumped into the leaderboard challenge yesterday and my first few attempts at it have been pretty fun. I agree that it shouldn't be down to RNG for the mob types and bosses but the different towers / use more towers is a pretty fun idea as it brings out the towers I never really use. 

One main issue for me though is that right now challenging the leaderboards forces everything to be done on wave 1 which makes it frantic but then from wave 2 onwards it's loses that feeling. 

Still for a first pass it's given me a reason to jump into the game again since most of my characters are at C7 already.