Sign in to follow this  
geo981010

Loot Progression - 10 reasons why we need a fast fix, and a fast fix or two

Here is 10 links from posts since last week of people having loot progression problems:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147934/farming-equipment-help

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147889/how-can-i-cross-from-c6-to-c7

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147832/convoluted-looting-system

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147769/game-has-turned-to-poopy-hug-pee-pee-with-this-new-loot-progression

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147790/loot-progress-wayfarer-weapons-do-not-work-well-together

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147783/regarding-loot-progression

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147786/how-a-get-better-loot-c4

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236110/discussions/0/1473095331504266247/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236110/discussions/0/1473095331495050269/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236110/discussions/0/2579854400746948969/

How many other people got stuck, but then went online and used Juicebox's or other guides to get gear? How many of them just quit before doing that, or quit after they realized how you will need to mule or sacrifice DPS for a hidden Item Power stat to get better drops? Trials came out in February, so this issue is now over 6 months old and has been an active topic the entire time. It has been a year, and the game has been released.

In all those posts, pretty much no one is arguing that the current system is good or even acceptable: as best, some will claim that it is better than before (I agree, but having a convoluted system in Beta is understandable temporarily) or will just give "Play and you will get better gear" statements. But all those people posting they were playing and for various reasons just stopped progressing, and you really can't figure out why with the in game information you are given.

The game has been released, and if you are just playing casually the Trials + no loot progression are going to burn out most players really quick. You can't expect people to know that a legendary weapon with great stats and 3 shard slots and a great shot pattern that is far superior to anything else for your DPS is in fact a surefire method to stop your loot progression. It doesn't make any sense unless you start dealing way too much with invisible variables and how they affect the game.

So please Trendy - change something now. It doesn't have to be a long term fix, but something with the next patch that makes it basically impossible to stop progression for anyone with brain cells.

Suggestions:

1) Change the drops to increase off your max equipped Item Power, instead of the average.

2) Show Item Power, and make it clear that you need to keep this value increasing in game. 

3) Change the game back to just giving loot based on whatever Trial you are in

If Trendy has plans on changing this, it would be great to hear them. Thanks!

Update: more links of people stuck since initial post:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147939/just-equip-or-need-to-upgrade

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147926/looking-for-a-c7-carry-pc

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/148016/i-cant-progress

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/148047/question-about-lootitems

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/148063/question-gear-progressions

I totally agree.  There's so many things lacking in game explanations, but loot is by far the worst offender and what keeps this game from feeling complete, since it is very much not self-contained.

To be clear, Trendy ([[166314,users]], [[4370,users]]), I don't want a faster loot progression.  If you use a spreadsheet/know what you are doing, the progression is surprisingly short.  I want a less obscure loot progression.  I feel like Trendy has consistently misheard our complaint about the loot system to be "it needs to be faster" rather than "it needs to be more clear", although I feel like we've always said the latter.

There have already been some updates concerning loot. It is good to see that loot problems have already been in TE's focus.

Loot & SurviveLet the loot test beginnHarbinger with better loot progressionLoot Update

From what I see and read the loot still is a problem though.

Actually I'd like to join in testing this for a bit so I was able to give better feedback. Sadly DD2 would punish me hard for being a tester: I have managed to have no Ascension level yet. Once I start to gain Ascension levels I never can get back to a real new start at DD2, I won't be able to restart with friends because I cannot delete my Ascension points.

I have asked in the forums, got no answers by any devs or moderators - just answers by community members who told me to play and just reallocate my Ascension points and instead of using them I should just ignore them and act as if I had none.  Well, this is a bad joke just - the answer as well as this situation in the game itself. Start playing and never be able to restart from scratch. 

I wonder how early loot progression is being tested after all of the willing testers must already have a really high Ascension level.

Item power was weird from the very beginning. It was not really possible to reproduce how item was calculated since a lot of players received better weapons with lower iPwr than their current ones. Maybe the current progression system is a lame try to discourage leechers from joining higher difficulty games without contributing anything. Maybe the game designers really think this is a good progression system. Maybe this is fun for the players. I don't know since there is no real information regarding this.

Not sure how it is considered an improvement to let people unlock weapons by playing a specific gamemode once so they can purchase the weapon from vendors. This means to me they must think their gamemodes are no fun and browsing vendors' range is a lot more entertainment than playing a map.

Actually people should not be dependent on third party information sites. The system should be clear and intuitive. This is not the case. Trying to be different is not always a great solution.

@Dreizehn quote:@Dreizehn quote:Maybe the current progression system is a lame try to discourage leechers from joining higher difficulty games without contributing anything. Maybe the game designers really think this is a good progression system. Maybe this is fun for the players.

Try to DISCOURAGE leechers? The only way I can progress is BY leeching! My team is decked out in the best stuff I can find by leeching off other people in Chaos 2 and 3, all of it FAR better than anything I can earn by myself in Chaos 1, but I can't solo ANYTHING in Chaos 2 with my gear!

Let me repeat that for emphasis: Chaos 1, which I can build and solo effortlessly, gives me no gear progress, but the gear I get in Chaos 1 IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO COMPLETE A SINGLE WAVE IN CHAOS 2! This problem is exacerbated by the fact that marks and ORBS drop about ten times more frequently than totems, while I need totems to boost my barricades so I can try to survive longer!

The gear progress scheme needs to be made clear, with IN-GAME INFORMATION telling people what the maximum stats are on gear dropped per trial increment. Furthermore, that aforementioned maximum from the previous trial increment MUST BE SUFFICIENT TO COMPLETE AT LEAST ONE WAVE OF THE NEXT DIFFICULTY SO GEAR FROM THE NEXT TRIAL INCREMENT CAN BEGIN DROPPING!

I'm A-96 and I can't complete anything beyond C1 because the loot system is obscenely obtuse.

@Dreizehn quote:

There have already been some updates concerning loot. It is good to see that loot problems have already been in TE's focus.

Loot & SurviveLet the loot test beginnHarbinger with better loot progressionLoot Update

Only one of your links is relevant to the discussion at hand (that is, the loot system based on the chaos trials the OP talks about).  The problem with the loot system based on the chaos trials is that how to progress is totally unclear to players.  All the things in the Loot Update were nice upgrades, and I greatly appreciate them, but they failed to address the core problem.  They tried to make the loot system more interesting and faster, while ignoring in game explanations for how it works.

@Voldine quote:

Try to DISCOURAGE leechers? The only way I can progress is BY leeching! My team is decked out in the best stuff I can find by leeching off other people in Chaos 2 and 3, all of it FAR better than anything I can earn by myself in Chaos 1, but I can't solo ANYTHING in Chaos 2 with my gear!

Let me repeat that for emphasis: Chaos 1, which I can build and solo effortlessly, gives me no gear progress, but the gear I get in Chaos 1 IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO COMPLETE A SINGLE WAVE IN CHAOS 2!

Here's the argument about discouraging leeching: if I can get carried in C7 and get C7 gear, then I can just skip all other chaos tiers.  So yes, the current system discourages that kind of leeching by making it impossible to skip the tier-based progression.  I'm not saying this is a good way to do it (there are plenty of other ways to prevent tier jumping), but it has some truth to it.

However, there are tons of players on these boards who have progressed from C1 to C2.  There are tons of youtube tutorials of people doing it, even recently (Juicebags for example).  If you can't do it, it's because you are using sub-par towers and/or sub-par placement, or you don't understand more basic mechanics of the game (like relics/shards).  It's also possible that because of the convoluted gear system, you don't have max C1 gear, progression just stopped because you were going off stats instead of sell value.

I would say a great deal of us have progressed C1-C7 without leeching and before reaching ascension level 100. So it is definitely possible. 

However, i agree with you in the sense that it should be made more apparent to novice/casual players. I used excel spreadsheets and spent every defender medal/piece of gold to continuously upgrade my gear and promote faster progression. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the two chaos tiers that actually brought a challenge to this game, you should too. It most likely comes down to your ability to repair barricades/deal with threats and overall building strategy. Try out different towers, join groups of people that are doing the same chaos trial as you and learn from them, beat the first three waves and kill as many bosses as you can for a chance at loot upgrades and progress a little bit at a time. 

I feel that as with many things we are looking at the tree and forgetting about the forrest

I believe the problem, is how we progress.

At this moment it is too much tied into this trials and we re losing so much in it.

I believe in other modes it would shine.

I fear that Trendy if they change it too much for Trials, and probably why they aren't doing it, will totally misbalance it, when newer modes get out.

I want to say that for me it is better to keep the iPWR stat hidden so people will not get too much obsessed, as it is happening now.

A few things that could help, explain the upgrades better, in game, that by upgrading gear you progress.

Discount the upgrade cost of gear to a tenth. When I see in my first steps of the game, that 360,000 are required to upgrade a legendary, and not only that, that if I choose to invest that amount, the return I get if I want to sell that item to upgrade another one, or if a new legendary dropped, is nothing like the amount I invested.

Also, introduce a 4th stat to mythics too, with only 30 upgrades, to seem as an upgrade to the 4 stats of legendaries, and people do not get too much attached on them.

Even better, push the Epics and Powerful that drop with only 3 stats, to drop at higher progression, so people feel they are an upgrade too, so when they do get the next legendary,it is a substantial upgrade over the one they left behind.

Third, something that has been discussed before, introduce a system similar to Destiny's infusion, where even if you have upgraded an item to its max upgrades, you can bring it up to higher gear, by infusing newer better gear on that older gear, similar to what we had the enchantress for.

This are just a few ideas that I feel would help

@lekkin007 quote:

To be clear, Trendy (Lawlta, Iamisom), I don't want a faster loot progression.  If you use a spreadsheet/know what you are doing, the progression is surprisingly short. 

I definitely agree with this, and should have said that in the original post. Right now, if you do the mule right and don't hit a snag, you should be able to go from max CT3 gear to max CT4 in under 5 maps. That is perfect - you only have 4 Trial maps to play, and after you beat all 4 of those maps you should be able to move up to the next Trial. They are not end game, so don't make us grind them. The only thing that is problematic is the shards, as you will need to grind CT3/CT4 for long amounts of time to get the necessary shards but that is a different problem.

@Dreizehn quote:

It definitely is still a problem for lots of people. There have been lots of changes, but while there were some steps forward there were several steps back. When I went through CT3->CT4 gear in March, you pretty much had to use medals/gold to upgrade, and it was best to just keep one character in deck as your loot depended on the average of all your character's gear. So changing the system to only work on a single character and not requiring upgrading gear were good changes.

But along with that, the following was also changed:

1) gear used to get set attribute values based on the Item Power, but now the stats float by 15% or so. Excepting the gold cost, you really can't tell which item has higher Item Power and people get stuck because they are keeping gear with higher stats but lower Item Power

2) Gear with 60 upgrades would basically give you +40% to your gear, and that was basically enough to take you to the next tier of gear if you upgraded a full suit all the way one time. Now you get way less from upgrading (+7% stats or so), and sometimes a full suit does not even increase drops for the next wave.

So net effect the system is faster for people without upgrades if you know the mule tricks, but more ways to get stuck and much more expensive to upgrade your way with gold/medals. 

It is hard to justify a system where lowering your DPS can very likely increase your future loot drops, but now we can say that we have had this for a year. The last patch did nothing for it, and I haven't really heard any concrete plans on how to make this better. There were several newbs and several Defense Councilors in the posts saying that were stuck, but not a single Trendy response on it.

We don't even have an official description of how the system is working - most of the guides are just people running tests on loot drops, and trying to figure out the likely way things are working that describe the results. So a lot of the info ends up being wrong - people were arguing for weeks that for a slot/rarity higher of the primary stat meant higher Item Power instead of gold cost, people thought relics didn't matter for the Item Power average but it only is ignored if the relic slot is empty, etc etc. Lots of people have come to the forums and asked for help, and unfortunately received bad/incomplete advice and were still hosed.

@Derek564 quote:

I would say a great deal of us have progressed C1-C7 without leeching and before reaching ascension level 100. So it is definitely possible. 

However, i agree with you in the sense that it should be made more apparent to novice/casual players. I used excel spreadsheets and spent every defender medal/piece of gold to continuously upgrade my gear and promote faster progression. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the two chaos tiers that actually brought a challenge to this game, you should too. It most likely comes down to your ability to repair barricades/deal with threats and overall building strategy. Try out different towers, join groups of people that are doing the same chaos trial as you and learn from them, beat the first three waves and kill as many bosses as you can for a chance at loot upgrades and progress a little bit at a time. 

I read the forums, and had 100M+ gold so my gearing up was pretty simple. And if you read/watch a guide, you most likely will be able to do it pretty fast without any crazy grinding.  I usually enjoy a new Trial while I am figuring out how to beat it (Assassins not so much, especially as first when they line up and keep latching on before the nerfs).

But if the game really shouldn't need spreadsheets and mule systems and whatever to do what most other game has figured out better ways to do before - let our gear get better the more we play regardless of how we play. Especially if you are beating maps and not at cap, you should be guaranteed to get better gear to get you ready for the next map. There are lots of ways to get stuck now, and each one of them is a huge flaw that at least frustrate players and will likely cause some to quit.

@specialK quote:

I feel that as with many things we are looking at the tree and forgetting about the forrest

I believe the problem, is how we progress.

At this moment it is too much tied into this trials and we re losing so much in it.

I believe in other modes it would shine.

I fear that Trendy if they change it too much for Trials, and probably why they aren't doing it, will totally misbalance it, when newer modes get out.

I want to say that for me it is better to keep the iPWR stat hidden so people will not get too much obsessed, as it is happening now.

A few things that could help, explain the upgrades better, in game, that by upgrading gear you progress.

Discount the upgrade cost of gear to a tenth. When I see in my first steps of the game, that 360,000 are required to upgrade a legendary, and not only that, that if I choose to invest that amount, the return I get if I want to sell that item to upgrade another one, or if a new legendary dropped, is nothing like the amount I invested.

Also, introduce a 4th stat to mythics too, with only 30 upgrades, to seem as an upgrade to the 4 stats of legendaries, and people do not get too much attached on them.

Even better, push the Epics and Powerful that drop with only 3 stats, to drop at higher progression, so people feel they are an upgrade too, so when they do get the next legendary,it is a substantial upgrade over the one they left behind.

Third, something that has been discussed before, introduce a system similar to Destiny's infusion, where even if you have upgraded an item to its max upgrades, you can bring it up to higher gear, by infusing newer better gear on that older gear, similar to what we had the enchantress for.

This are just a few ideas that I feel would help

I definitely agree Trials is too central right now, and I am hoping that works out. I would really like some roadmap on their plans for it, as I am worried we are going to wait until year end for something that is well intentioned but fundamentally flawed like the current loot system or Trials or etc.

I would be fine with Item Power not being worth being obsessed with, but right now since it controls future drops its the most important stat and its invisible. You need higher Item Power gear to clear the later Trials, so you need it increased.

I am not sure how much they can do right now with making it so new drops are always visibly improved without making it so you get to max gear in just a single map. I supposed they could make stats be 5% higher than the average (right now it is sometimes 10% boost but most of the time only 1 or 2%), and then decrease the stat range variance and decrease loot amounts. You could still get stuck with a Wayfarer weapon or not replacing a relic for a tower you are not building with or whatever other traps exist. But this would slow down loot collection when you are at cap, unless they increased loot drops in those cases.

I agree 100% with the upgrade gear cost - it is especially crazy for CT1 gear to expect 360k per piece to upgrade stats 5%, knowing that next wave you will throw the gear away or sell it for a couple hundred gold. At the very least, upgrade cost should scale off what tier gear it is, so CT1 gear should cost much less but CT7 gear can stay around 360k.

And I like the Infusion idea, especially for Wayfarer weapons and fixed shards.

@lekkin007 quote:

@Dreizehn quote:

Only one of your links is relevant to the discussion at hand (that is, the loot system based on the chaos trials the OP talks about).  The problem with the loot system based on the chaos trials is that how to progress is totally unclear to players.  All the things in the Loot Update were nice upgrades, and I greatly appreciate them, but they failed to address the core problem.  They tried to make the loot system more interesting and faster, while ignoring in game explanations for how it works.

The links are related to what I have written above, which is related to OP's post, so I do see it related to the actual topic: I wanted to express that the status of loot/drops/progression has been a topic for quite some time (can be seen from the blog's/patch notes' timestamps) and there have been several reworks as well as an actual Loot Testing headline in Dev Log 49. These are examples to see that TE definitely tries to improve the loot system.

Everytime after they have worked on loot and have released an update about this issue, there have been some replies containing great feedback. I don't know why some of the obvious issues (can bee seen in OP's post) have not been resolved since it has been some time.

They have worked on overall stability and connection a lot - which is important, of course. Seeing they have now released leaderboards while loot progression is still frustrating may not be wise.

[[156333,users]] I think it would be a great improvement to the community if TE would just release the formular how iPwr is being calculated. This information does not give advantage to anybody and it may be helpful for those who are motivated to test stuff and look for bugs.

I agree its less than ideal, but I applaud them trying to end leeching.

Keeping the mystery a little I can understand also, but its frustrating and can spoil people's enjoyment when they never get any better because "better" gear makes them worse.

I wrote this up, hopefully it'll help some people:

Forum Gearing Guide

Am I the only one who liked the loot progression in DD1 and early DD2? 

Loot is so lackluster right now. I progressed from C1 to C7 endgame (with nearly capped relics and whatnot) within one week. Not to argue that that's too quick or anything (because it's a pointless arbitrary grind which I think should be removed altogether) but to argue that it should take longer than that to reach endgame because good loot should be very, very hard to come by, but it isn't, because it lacks variety. In DD1, loot didn't lack variety because items had 8 stats (which could also be negative stats and go in the -999 range), and Ultimate++ drops were very, very rare to come by. Thus, getting the perfect combination of 8 stats on an Ultimate++ item added a lot of excitement and incentive to farm. It'd take months to reach endgame, as it should.

But only this past month on DD2 I've gotten hundreds and hundreds of legendary drops, several each game, none of which I even bother looking at anymore because it's always going to be the same combination of stats on each item. I don't know why I play for anything else anymore other than arbitrary ascension levels which will soon be useless for me as well when I cap. Shards are so, so easy to get as well, and I'd argue that shards shouldn't even exist as items (rather, they should exist as tower skill trees). It's silly that you can buy them with gems because it creates a pay2win scenario. And it seems like Trendy is going to let you pick shards, too, eventually, so you don't have to farm C4 for C4 shards, which would make the game even easier. And reaching endgame will become quick and boring, with not much to do, when it already is.

Also, loot doesn't need to be "changed".  It simply needs a lot of explanation.  Once you understand it you will fly through all Chaos tiers, even playing casually.

And Fozzie is spot on, we may have what several consider to be the only end game - by their own stating, not Trendy's - and onslaught mode and the end game mode activities are not even released yet.  Also, trendy has announced onslaught is not end game.

@Fozzie quote:

Maybe when we get end game they will make getting great drops ultra rare.

Trials isn't end game.

@Kambien quote:

And Fozzie is spot on, we may have what several consider to be the only end game - by their own stating, not Trendy's - and onslaught mode and the end game mode activities are not even released yet.  Also, trendy has announced onslaught is not end game.

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142548/trials-the-endgame-update-new-power

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142955/trials-the-endgame-update-out-now-full-patch-notes

http://trials.dungeondefenders2.com/

End game? What?

@Kambien quote:

Also, loot doesn't need to be "changed".  It simply needs a lot of explanation.

Even with gear explanation, it doesn't change that I am able to nearly foresee every armor and relic drop I get now after just a week of playing in C7 -- because good loot isn't that hard to come by, because it's lackluster and always rolls the same combination of stats, because too many players seemed to have whined about getting useless loot in the past. I agree that while it perhaps shouldn't be "changed", it needs to be "added" onto with something that has RNG all over the place. Maybe if there were a few more stats other than damage and crit damage or there was a fourth shard slot with a locked shard (like the incursion weapons) you could ONLY get from playing. And the shard rarity for random shards on that fouth shard slot could be tweaked and all over the place (from common to extremely rare shards) thus making it hard for me to simply get that "perfect" item with all of the rolls, plus the shard slot, thus increasing endgame longevity via breadth (not depth), plus making blue items and mythic items not so useless. Add in gear bonus sets and more rare weapons that aren't useless and easy to get and the game should be good to go.

@Galbadine quote:Am I the only one who liked the loot progression in DD1 and early DD2? 

It was good for hard core players but pretty bad for others.  I think some compromise is needed so casual players can enjoy the game and get some progression but hardcore players can do the serious grinding.  Diablo seems to have worked out the formula.  Hopefully in the end game they'll also add some more hardcore loot rarity elements.

Here's an amazing thread on how to gear up. :-)

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/147945/gaining-gear-for-chaos-beginners

@Kambien quote:

Also, loot doesn't need to be "changed".  It simply needs a lot of explanation.  Once you understand it you will fly through all Chaos tiers, even playing casually.

The point of listing all those posts is a lot of people aren't flying through gear progression. People are figuring out how to beat the Chaos Trials by themselves, and then getting beat trying to figure out the loot system. If you look at the people posting, it is sometime newer players but it is also Defense Councilors who played DD1 so much that they put down a good amount of cash to get DD2 created.

Explaining things more would be better, but you will still get stuck if you decide to not upgrade your Monk's Boost Aura relic since you don't use Boost Auras now that you realize they stink. You will get stuck if you don't switch out that Wayfarer weapon quickly for an epic weapon that is no where as cool and brings your DPS down 20%+. You will get stuck if you get a near perfect Legendary armor that you don't want to replace for a crappy epic with less shard slots and lower stats and one less stat even on it. Etc etc...

I am not saying loot should progress faster than it is now for people who can run a mule, or that CT3 gear needs a stat boost, or anything about endgame. I just think the loot system should progress no matter what as long as a player is playing and winning, and not require gaming the system with a mule or other odd strategies that work for people who read the forums or watch the streams.

The Loot system fails the Keep It Simple Stupid design principal hard, and that is supposed to be one of the mantras programmers live by.

@Voldine quote:

I'm A-96 and I can't complete anything beyond C1 because the loot system is obscenely obtuse.

I hate to be mean but that just sounds like a you problem. You're clearly not building right - watch a video of a build and try again.

You can always beat the next tier up with gear that's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the max of your current tier. 

@Kambien quote:

@Spank My Neko quote:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142548/trials-the-endgame-update-new-power

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/142955/trials-the-endgame-update-out-now-full-patch-notes

http://trials.dungeondefenders2.com/

End game? What?

That was in alpha, pre-full release.  Also another little wonder of DD2 - it went from Alpha to Full release. ;-)-

I mean I know, I've played the game for quite a bit. But wouldn't you think it would've been called the "Release update" or something more appropriate or accurate.

In any case, Trendy referred to the Trials update as end game as per those patch notes and even through their twitter.

It might be more accurate to assume that trials is not the only end game content planned but either way, the other guy was wrong to say Trials is not end game. ;-)

@lekkin007 quote:

It's also possible that because of the convoluted gear system, you don't have max C1 gear, progression just stopped because you were going off stats instead of sell value.

If that were true then the stuff I got in higher tiers wouldn't show ANY improvement over the trash that drops in C1 for me, would it?

@Voldine quote:

@lekkin007 quote:

It's also possible that because of the convoluted gear system, you don't have max C1 gear, progression just stopped because you were going off stats instead of sell value.

If that were true then the stuff I got in higher tiers wouldn't show ANY improvement over the trash that drops in C1 for me, would it?

Lol, I was being gracious in giving you a way to explain your professed failure in C2 (since it would be the loot system fault), but as it stands it must be you who is stopping you from doing C2.  After all, plenty of us have done it already (myself included), without leaching.

@Voldine quote:

Let me repeat that for emphasis: Chaos 1, which I can build and solo effortlessly, gives me no gear progress, but the gear I get in Chaos 1 IS NOT SUFFICIENT TO COMPLETE A SINGLE WAVE IN CHAOS 2! 

Sorry to say but you need to improve your skills.  There is plenty of information about on progression and build guides to help you on dd2tools.com and this forum.  There are heaps of folks here who have soloed to C7 by gearing up to near max for their tier and then moving to the next tier so it's very possible.  It doesn't require a lot of active play or sharp reflexes or anything like that so anybody can do it.   Also don't forget about getting the right shards.  The buffs from shards are far more powerful than a few relic upgrades.

Relic drops are pure random and you will go through periods of sometimes having bad drops.  Don't worry, soon enough you'll be complaining about too many totems and not enough medallions.