Dryad - Sharing the Design Team's Thoughts

Tree Idea: I think the tree is almost finished, keep it a blockade and Improve its defensive aspect. But Change it to be more like the weapon manufacturer. Where you can place X amount of seeds (Nodes) that have an aura, within that aura you are able to build beyond the trees normal build aura. Base seed amount could be 2-3. You would reduce the tree Cost, and add the cost to the seeds. Upgrading would be like other blockades, able to be upped 4 times.

Shard Ideas: improved Seed Quantity upping it from 2-3 seed to 4-5 seeds.

Seed/ tree build aura increase X%.

Slimes Idea: I’d just add More Elements to it. Through a shard you can make it spawn a Random Element Slime that has different attack types and effect. Fire - Burn, Lightning- Stun, Water – Drench, Dark - Curse, Earth- Oil, Poison – Damage over Time, Ice – Freeze, Wind – Knock up, Slime mother-  bigger damage / spawns 2-3 small slimes (random element).

Harpy’s Perch Idea: I personally liked the idea of a Pierce tower, with attack speed, but I actually think this is what could be your cc Tower instead of the Nimbus. They could do a Wind attack that is like the Apprentice / Adepts Tornado ability in a straight line.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@FallenFenix1985 quote:

Tree Idea: I think the tree is almost finished, keep it a blockade and Improve its defensive aspect. But Change it to be more like the weapon manufacturer. Where you can place X amount of seeds (Nodes) that have an aura, within that aura you are able to build beyond the trees normal build aura. Base seed amount could be 2-3. You would reduce the tree Cost, and add the cost to the seeds. Upgrading would be like other blockades, able to be upped 4 times.

Shard Ideas: improved Seed Quantity upping it from 2-3 seed to 4-5 seeds.

Seed/ tree build aura increase X%.

Slimes Idea: I’d just add More Elements to it. Through a shard you can make it spawn a Random Element Slime that has different attack types and effect. Fire - Burn, Lightning- Stun, Water – Drench, Dark - Curse, Earth- Oil, Poison – Damage over Time, Ice – Freeze, Wind – Knock up, Slime mother-  bigger damage / spawns 2-3 small slimes (random element).

Harpy’s Perch Idea: I personally liked the idea of a Pierce tower, with attack speed, but I actually think this is what could be your cc Tower instead of the Nimbus. They could do a Wind attack that is like the Apprentice / Adepts Tornado ability in a straight line.  

i actually like all the ideas you gave especially the world tree one.

World Tree - Pylon Approach

My issue with this approach is the tree works very well with the Health Pylon and Power Pylon so my worry is by changing the classification from a blockade is losing those features. 

I love the idea of lowering the cost of the world tree because I feel the biggest challenge lately is the high cost.

Angry Nimbus - CC Defense

I would be interested to see how this works but I fear it not being able to do enough damage to flyers. Currently in C5 (my character has low C6 relics thanks to friends) I can comfortably set 2 nimbus clouds in a flyer lane and that can handle it but that's a cost of 60 each plus a tree of 30. I feel like their current use case is fine and with the reduction of the World Tree cost they would be more appealing to use. Also prioritizing flying enemies would be much appreciated!

Slime Pit - Poison Defense

If poison damage comes with the price of lowering their damage output currently I want no parts of that. I think a better way to buff the Slime Pit would be to get it's output on par with the Flame Aura. It cost 10 more to place and it's damage output should reflect that.

Harpy's Perch - Anti-Air Defense

Since the last damage buff the Harpy's Perch is great. I make sure to have 1 or 2 in the lanes that bosses spawn because of how big of a help they are. Prioritizing Flying Targets would be much welcomed changed here too.

Starfall - Instant Ability

Yes please do it now!

Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

To piggyback what someone else said. The reason why we try to stay in Corrupt form is to have the secondary effects on all the defenses. If there were an alternative way to get these effects (Perhaps a shard?) I'd be more welcoming to this idea however currently it just seems like something the Dryad could do without.

I apologize for my previous outburst, but please don't destroy the World Trees.

That is the one suggested change that is truely terrible and my GF refuses to play the game anymore.

I really don't think any tower should cost as low as 5 or even ten DU - it's a superficial way to shoehorn a tower into other builds, and at that point they lose their originality.

Everything else except for the Corrupt is actually a nice change, but we could at least tolerate the new Corrupt form if it was implemented well enough.

Could one of the changes to the Dryad please be for the Starfall to magically "ghost" through any overhead obstructions and actually land where the aim indicator is? It's so annoying when you really need her ability to deliver but you're screwed because it gets stuck on an overhead obstruction. I don't think any other heroes' abilities have this issue. There's no reason the Dryad's ability should be handicapped like this.

@Trendy Brett quote:
  1. World Tree - Pylon Approach
  2. Angry Nimbus - CC Defense
  3. Slime Pit - Poison Defense
  4. Harpy's Perch - Anti-Air Defense
  5. Starfall - Instant Ability
  6. Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

1. So I spent a week using the Tree as if were just a flower pot [Boost Aura]. It worked pretty well and I might just add a bit to the base range and lower the DU cost. But frankly... why not just let the dryad put her stuff anywhere she likes and make the 'Tree' a healing aura? Someone else already mentioned this. I'd second it.

Next I used it as a wall [yes, it's possible] and it wasn't really that fun past C4 [Lady Orcs just don't appreciate Trees.] The higher DU cost to reliably close off a lane can be problematic with lower stat relics. But slap both a Health Pylon and a Power Pylon and it's now my 2nd choice as a blockade. Whenever I plan to use two blockades... one of them will be a Tree.

If it were up to me, I'd change nothing regarding the Tree. Or at most.. make it a little bit wider [when I use it as an "aura", I'll turn it side to front]

2. Just have Cthulu's influence work more often OR works all the time but gets a buff when in Corrupt mode.

3. Well... ok.

4. Right now she's a castrated PDT [she?] with a wider field of fire. Give her a small chance to stun. Just don't turn her into another Hailstorm. With a small chance to stun mobs, we'd have a SGT that slows targets, Hailstorm that freezes [but has a much narrower field of fire] and now an tower that stuns with an even smaller field of fire.

5. Get rid of it altogether or just make it an ability that restores ability mana. Right now, I have to make sure I'm not under something or I'll miss the star.

6. Want to make some players angry? When you hotswap away from a corrupt Dryad, all her defences go back to "normal" otherwise this idea sounds ok too.

@Asphe quote:

@Trendy Brett quote:
  1. World Tree - Pylon Approach
  2. Angry Nimbus - CC Defense
  3. Slime Pit - Poison Defense
  4. Harpy's Perch - Anti-Air Defense

1. So I spent a week using the Tree as if were just a flower pot [Boost Aura]. It worked pretty well and I might just add a bit to the base range and lower the DU cost. But frankly... why not just let the dryad put her stuff anywhere she likes and make the 'Tree' a healing aura? Someone else already mentioned this. I'd second it.

Well, the Serenity Auras was actually a beast in the days of NM4. So powerful that you could tank a Roller. Put it with Idle Flow (Boosted Grasp) and Purge Evil (Rippling Explosions) and we'll be back to where we're started in Pre-Trials days.

A couple thoughts:

I'm a big fan of both of these. The Dryad is so, so clunky to use right now. So many button-presses. Having the starfall drop right in her path would make it much smoother to keep her ability power up while forging into a clump of enemies, or traversing across the map. Would be even better if she could collect her stars while flying. Couple that with her stars being able to "ghost" through overhead obstructions to actually land where she's at, like I said above, an using the Dryad would already be much more fun.

And turning corrupt form into a short-duration power-up would make using her even more fluid and fun. Especially if the Dryad's Blessing stayed active while crossing in and out of corrupt form (unlike now--yet another source of button-pressing).

@ttgjailbreak quote:

I love all of these ideas except for one, the corrupt form change. While i do feel the time inside corrupt form should be shorter and sweeter with more damage output to make it feel special like you said, the buffs that the form gives to defenses is too important to not have up.

The main reason we all strive to stay in the form as long as possible is strictly because of it, the speed buff to all of the defenses helps with the AI when it isn't performing nomao minimalistic camera apk very well and the extra damage buffs take the defenses from being mediocre to being great. I've seen another post suggesting the buffs being made the default passive and i have to agree, not being able to have the buffs up would be a significant hit to the Dryad's kit

These ideas is really good. However, it can remain some problems. And I totally agree with ttgiailbreak's opinion. You should consider his idea. Good luck!

Hi my first post, I have a few hundred hours of crystal defense (plus over 1000 hours in DD1) under my belt and I use the Dryad as my main builder so I wanted to chime in.

For the most part, the Dryad defenses feel good, probably over powered, but I really like them.

The tree is fine. It is a functional wall in cases where lady orcs cant run by, or a second wall where I would build two walls anyway to prevent breaches. It also provides a nice healing effect to my team, so worth the thirty DU that I would have spent on another wall anyway.

Bees are probably too strong. Thanks for the undocumented change in 1.1 where only one bee per hive can attack a given target btw.... That's not how bees work IRL, but I digress. With fifty range gambit plus deadly strikes, they cover a huge area. Big single target damage numbers and they hit three targets with three free shard slots!!!!!!! Puts mystic and everyone else's towers to shame.... They can easily cover two lanes, sometimes three. Please don't change them, they are my go to for single target damage. You should probably fix being able to go corrupt then changing characters while still keeping three bees....

Harpies are pretty useless. I would say the same thing about any projectile defense though.... Cannons, Skeleton archers, anything that can be reflected by a geode. Any of the other unique enemies can be worked around but geodes just make projectile based defenses useless imo. Plus the angle covered by harpies is so small. I've seen them mentioned as Dryad's anti air but I'd rather just build a skyguard tower in every case.

Slimes are great. There are two types of damage towers in any tower defense game. AOE and single target. Slimes do a great job of covering the AOE aspect for Dryad. Their main drawback is they need to be built near a tree. This makes front loaded damage perfect. Three slimes are up and ready to go, they do their thing, then more spawn and wait for the next target... Changing them to a poison tower doesn't make any sense.

Then there's the Angry Nimbus. There are a few issues with it. First off, because of the way upgrade scaling works, it's single target damage is less than the Bee tower after a couple upgrades. Second, it's unique shard is completely useless. I've watched closely and never seen it work. After a few rain storms any target is dead anyway so a charm means nothing. Finally, and I've tried this a few times... A single hornet's nest built right next to a nimbus out damages the nimbus every time. It's usually not even close. The main issue is the speed of the Nimbus. It just floats around toward a new target too often while the faster traveling bees have already gotten there and killed everything. So for twice the DU, what's the point?

I can see making a change to starfall. It is a bit clunky, but reducing a key stroke means limiting the targeting range. When I first started on chaos 7 I was self killing all of the kobolts with starfall. I'd build my normal defense then fly around waiting for kobolts, and starfalling them as they came out. I barely had the gear to beat C7 but because I killed the kobolts myself I could still win most of the time. Making it a single key press for its ability would make it a bit more useful for killing rollers, but limit everything else.

The other two skills are pretty useless since when on a dryad, you're trying to maintain corrupt form as long as possible, I've barely used either.

@BulletProof417 quote:

Then there's the Angry Nimbus. There are a few issues with it. First off, because of the way upgrade scaling works, it's single target damage is less than the Bee tower after a couple upgrades. Second, it's unique shard is completely useless. I've watched closely and never seen it work. 

Hello there! If I'm not mistaken, the charm only works when the Dryad's in her corrupt form.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

@BulletProof417 quote:

Then there's the Angry Nimbus. There are a few issues with it. First off, because of the way upgrade scaling works, it's single target damage is less than the Bee tower after a couple upgrades. Second, it's unique shard is completely useless. I've watched closely and never seen it work. 

Hello there! If I'm not mistaken, the charm only works when the Dryad's in her corrupt form.

Correct. 

Even in corrupt form the charm effect does nothing.  One reason its not noticeable is the nimbus locks on to one target and pours rain until that target is dead, weather it gets charmed or not.  With critical hits in the millions, anything will die in seconds anyway.  Even if a mob is charmed its dead before doing anything noticeable.  I thought it would be cool against kobolts, getting them to blow up in a crowd, but when the nimbus locks on to one the kobolt dies in seconds.  

I've also never seen it work on any boss mobs, I assume they're immune to the effect.

A solution would be to make the nimbus change targets if the charm works.  As of right now using the shard reduces damage output for no return, thus making it a poor choice....

And I'd rather have two hornets nests anyway =)

My two cents, love the ideas on the tree changes.  Particular the ideas that move it away from being a blockade to anything else (or even a different form of a blockade (not a tree)).  

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I made a post in suggestions awhile ago about the dryad, here's a small run down of what I suggested:

Replace mushrooms with tree as ability. Allow free placement of tower's anywhere but gains current currupt form buffs when near tree aura when placed down. When you corrupt, applies dot in the area instead of heal. Follow logic behind mystic du limit ignoring, and Lavamancer volcano relocations

All ability cost nothing, becomes cool down based.change celestial power to when you use your abilities, you gain celestial power, or when in trees aura. 

Corrupt form applies buffs to all tower's(stacking with tree buff) and you gain 15% damage boost, while taking 15% more damage. Shards can alter this.

Use nimbus as an aoe slow, removing slow from corrupt Slimes. Still drenches and causes thunder when corrupt.