Sign in to follow this  
Trendy Brett

Dryad - Sharing the Design Team's Thoughts

Prior to the recent fixes to Hornet's Nest that brought the defense back into the limelight, Trendy's Design Team has been mulling over the Dryad and looking at ways to improve both her builder and combat aspects.

To give the community some insight into our thoughts, we've put together this post discussing possible improvements.

There is no timeframe for these changes, as we are still discussing and scoping the changes. But, we wanted to share our thoughts with the community before we started any implementation, and give you all a chance to voice your thoughts as well!

BUILDER

The dependency on World Trees reduces the Dryad's versatility in a multi-builder meta. We want to see the Dryad intermixed more with other heroes, and as a result, we need to modify how she relies on the World Tree as a core structure.

Our thought is to change the World Tree from a 'blockade' class structure into a 'aura' or new 'pylon' class structure. It's DU and Mana cost would be severely reduced (imagine it only being a 5-10 cost defense). It's primary function would be to provide its healing aura, and, the placement aura for the rest of the Dryad's defenses. While this removes the Dryad's only blockade from her arsenal, we're not particularly happy with how the World Tree has performed as a blockade anyway. This change should greatly increase her placement flexiblity, both in terms of where she can place her own defenses, and, how she can interweave her defenses with other heroes. We're pretty stoked about those possibilities, as we really want to see more Dryad-mixed builds out there, as well as seeing her defenses used at more than typical chokepoint placements.

We also want to diversify her defense's roles a bit more. She's got a lot of defenses that, well, really just deal damage. Hornet's Nest and Angry Nimbus are, in particular, a bit of overlap that we'd like to split-up. We're looking at revising the Angry Nimbus to function as a CC-class defense (like Frostbite Tower or Snaking Sands), giving it a more distinct role from the Dryad's other 'pump out the damage' defenses.

The Slime Pit as well might undergo a change, switching from your basic 'deal area damage' defense to a 'apply a long-lasting poison' to enemies defense, which would go great with forward-lane placements using her new World Tree flexiblity. 

Lastly, we're experimenting with the Harpy's Perch as an anti-air (only) tower, which would help separate it from the Hornet's Nest as well. The Harpy's Perch somewhat slides into that role in her kit now, so we're likely to try to emphasize it by improving its range and targeting against aerial enemies.

COMBAT

During combat, the Dryad has a few weakness we'd like to address, namely with Starfall. Targeting / firing Starfall interacts with the melee system in a clumsy way, and we'd like to improve that. Our current thought is to modify Starfall to fire immediately upon input, playing a quick animation that fires the projectile at a pre-determined location in front of the Dryad. This should allow her to interweave Starfalls into her melee combo with far more fluidity and far fewer button presses. While she sacrifices some of her range with this change, we think that the improvements in speed and usability are likely to be huge payoffs for a melee-centric character.

Her second change would be to how we handle her Corrupt form. We love her Corrupt form, but it doesn't have enough 'oomph' behind it. Rather than being a sustained state you can keep going for a long time (especially with shards/talents), we want this to be a shorter-duration effect that has real power behind it. The duration of Corrupt form would come down, but the Corrupt versions of her abilities would be notably enhanced. Rather than being a sort of semi-permanent state toggle, Corrupt form will function more like a temporary power-up, giving the Dryad more face-melting potential for shorter periods of time. Ides include removing the Celestial Power cost from her Corrupt abilities (making them cooldown-based and increasing their damage), but also notably increasing the Celestial Power costs to transform and stay in the Corrupt form.

There are a few other minor tweaks to her abilities (like improving Pure Powder Toss), but they're more like buffs than serious refactors. We'd like to know what you all think about these changes, so let us know your thoughts:

1. World Tree - Pylon Approach
  2. Angry Nimbus - CC Defense
  3. Slime Pit - Poison Defense
  4. Harpy's Perch - Anti-Air Defense
  5. Starfall - Instant Ability
  6. Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

I'm fine with the World Tree being required to build other defenses, but I don't really like how it's a smallish area around the tree. I would prefer to see something like each tree can support X number of defenses, or Y amount of DU so the trees still need to be built, and their healing/crit buffing aura could help you determine where to build them, but there would be more freedom in where the Dryad can build her defenses and can spread them out across the map more.

Or even keep the aura but change the defenses to use a "node" system where the 1st node has to be "planted" in the tree's aura and it does nothing except provide "power" to the 2nd node, which would be the actual defense. That way you could determine which tree powers which defenses, in the event that the tree is destroyed or disabled or something.

In Terraria slimes not just poison players. Also Spiked ice slime frezee the player , lava slime can burn player and corrupt slime reduce players light vision with darkness debuff.

Also with pylon approach for trees this means cyborks can disable them? How enemies interact with pylon type defences in shortly.

How health and power pylon shards works in future?

Also please give Lavamancer this kind of love <3

I like the variations on the defences. At the moment we rely on corrupt form to give them different effects (extra target on hornets, pierce on harpy, slow on slimes, and very rare CC on nimbus).

I'm all for changes to World Tree. 

With the changes to the world tree. i'd like to see revamped shards and such. For example I use health pylon on my blockades as I tend to put them behind my blockades. The problem I would run into is that the "new" world tree would not be considered a blockade and thus not be able to use the shard. Will we be getting new and improved shards to help them out?

@LineDrill quote:

In Terraria slimes not just poison players. Also Spiked ice slime frezee the player , lava slime can burn player and corrupt slime reduce players light vision with darkness debuff.

I think different colored slimes applying different status effects would be cool. I can't think of what colors we currently have, so some of these will have to change, or new slime colors could be created:

• Red/Fire/Lava Slime - Applies instant fire damage - Consumes oiled effects to ignite enemies for high damage per second but with a short duration
  • Green/Jungle/Poison Slime - Applies a poison effect - Is lower in damage per second than Red Slimes, but lasts for a longer duration and does not consume any other status effects.
  • Light Blue/Ice Slime - Applies instant cold damage - Consumes drenched effects to freeze enemies.
  • Blue/Water Slime - Applies drenched effect and slows enemies.
  • Yellow/Storm Slime - Applies instant storm damage - Electrocutes drenched enemies.
  • Black/Oil Slime - Applies Oil effect
  • Purple/Pink/Curse Slime - Applies an armor/resistance debuff
  • Rock Slime - The Oxymoron Slime - Deals crushing damage - consumes freeze effects to apply Shatter.
  • Parasol Slime - The rarest slime, applies any 2 of the above effects chosen at random.

For the Nimbus changes, to give it more CC it should have its damage drastically reduced and with reduced damage it needs to have reduced DU cost. The Cthulu shard for Nimbus never made any sense to me. It's a small chance to do a rare CC on a single-target enemy that is being pounded on by Nimbus and is about to die anyway. There is like no point to the CC that it does provide currently.

Over all I like all of these changes. 

Tree, Nimbus and Starfall changes sounds good and seem  to adress at least my own issues with them.

Slime Pit changes... Not too sure here. I really like how they currently work. Had the dryad been designed more towards a multibuilder playstyle, this would easily be my most played aoe defence.

Harpy's Perch... OMG yes! Do it! Do it NAOW! Get to da choppa!

Seriously, an anti air alternative would be awesome! We should have even more choices for anti-air. It's the forgotten defense type.

Corrupt form.  I like the changes proposed. It sure would make the mechanic more interresting. However... At the moment the thing that makes the dryad defenses over all useable is the corrupt form. Placing a dryad defense without then actively playing the dryad and maintaining corrupt form just feel like a bad idea.

So while I like the proposed changes. And even if they do not go live. Please just add the corrupt form effects to the dryad defenses permanently. Allow them to work well even if you play another active hero. Allow them to work well even if your dryad build is focused on her normal form. It's just not fun to be forced into both a hero and a specific category of that heroes builds just because you use that heroes defenses.

You guys had the range of the world tree right when the dryad was first introduced.

Leave the cost the same, but significantly increase the range, and significantly increase the range upgrades between T2 and T3. This means that on small maps like siphon site D you'd only need a single T3 tree to power the whole map. Large maps like bastille might need 3-4 trees.

I'm very happy to hear you're taking a focused approach to giving the dryad's defenses distinct roles. I am not opposed to any of the defense design changes you've proposed, but I'll reserve full judgement after I've had a chance to use them and see if they overlap with defenses from other heroes.

If you do end up making harpies AA, either make the harpy fly or make the perch extend a good 15 feet into the air. That way it has a height advantage over the skyguard, but has slightly less range and is single target.

I love all of these ideas except for one, the corrupt form change. While i do feel the time inside corrupt form should be shorter and sweeter with more damage output to make it feel special like you said, the buffs that the form gives to defenses is too important to not have up.

The main reason we all strive to stay in the form as long as possible is strictly because of it, the speed buff to all of the defenses helps with the AI when it isn't performing very well and the extra damage buffs take the defenses from being mediocre to being great. I've seen another post suggesting the buffs being made the default passive and i have to agree, not being able to have the buffs up would be a significant hit to the Dryad's kit

I love the proposed changes!  I'm a bit hesitant about the harpy being only anti-air, but as long as the attack range/angle change drastically I would be on board with it. 

You are however missing the number one thing I want for the Dryad: in game explanations of her mechanics.  PLEASE add a library, encyclopedia, manual, or something along the lines that explains all your game mechanics, including hero abilities, towers, damage types, elemental types, combos, upgrades, enemies, etc.

To be honest, the tree could act as both; just use some way to toggle it between blockade or aura, with different DU costs; that'd be awesome.

Also harpy is really cool as she is, I'd just give her priority when there are air enemies, and if there aren't any, target ground normally. Versatility, yo!

Slimes are also cool as they are right now. Extra effects depending on the colour would be nice. The problem I see when making them poison is that we already have a completely, extremely effective tower that does that, and lanes also aren't long enough to make it worth it. You'd have to build by the spawn.

I think the ideas are good. The only real issue I have with the changes is if all of the proposed changes make it through, the only damage dealing defense we're left with is Hornet's nest. More importantly, we would be losing the utility of an AoE damage defense in slime pit. I actually quite like the design of the slime pit and hornets as they are today (excluding nimbus overlap)

So if the intent is to diversify, I suggest allowing the towers retain a good portion of their damage as opposed to being explicitly utility focused towers with limited damage as I feel that would limit the variety of builds you'd get out of the Dryad.

finally. ive been asking for starfall to fall immediately for a while now. thank you

I believe the slimes should be single target units that attach to enemies and keep doing damage over time and spawn a king slime while in corrupt.

The Nimbus cloud should be spawned and stay where the cloud is spawned and able to attack a wider area while it spawns little mini nimbus clouds to follow enemies while corrupt

corruption form should stay the same though.

while we are at it, could you guys use the same animations that the player using the dryad sees with the animations another player sees the dryad using? usually when I see a dryad, they are just flying in the animation of them just floating in place. I would like to see them tilt forward like it shows for the player using the dryad. and also have her able to look up and down (animation wise) like all the other characters?

Interesting.

Rather than Starfall on key-press, may I recommend Starfall on key-release?  On pressing and holding down Starfall, it will enable the indicator so you can see where it'll land (because this REALLY helps with knowing if it's going to hit the right part on a Roller), and when you release it actually fires.  When holding down, you can right click or escape to not fire the Starfall.  Something like that is how HotS does key-up firing (though you have to enable it in options) and it functions very nicely IMO.

I like the other ideas!  My only concern with Corruption changes is that lower duration means her defenses won't benefit for as long, so I hope that defense power during that time is also increased.  

Dryad doesn't need a barricade.  Everyone that has Dryad already has Squire, and his Barricades are bigger, cheaper(to upgrade), have a boatload more health, and could fight back anyway.  

EDIT: While you're at it, can you make the 4 key a building rather than an ability?  When I click 5 but i meant to click 4, it won't change.  But if I click 4, then 5, it changes.  Just a small QoL that gets annoying when I'm trying to set up my Dryad's defenses.  

@Trendy Brett quote:

There are a few other minor tweaks to her abilities (like improving Pure Powder Toss), but they're more like buffs than serious refactors. We'd like to know what you all think about these changes, so let us know your thoughts:

1. World Tree - Pylon Approach
  2. Angry Nimbus - CC Defense
  3. Slime Pit - Poison Defense
  4. Harpy's Perch - Anti-Air Defense
  5. Starfall - Instant Ability
  6. Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

I definitely like idea #1, as we already have enough walls anyway. Will make Power Surge harder though :)

For #5 Starfall, please make it instantaneous. If possible, make all the attacks consistent and instantaneous. Take the Huntress Oil flask - why does this one of all the initial hero abilities require multiple clicks? Instead of making us click Ability X once to start and then click again to activate, just make the first one start the animations and we can aim up until the last second (like how Piercing Shot or Concussive Shot work).

The only ones that can't work that way all the times are cases where you are creating a ability tower and you are aimed at a invalid location. For example, if I am trying to create an Abyss Stone or Abyss Fountain and am pointed at a valid build location, you can still create it automatically. But if I am pointing off the map edge or at an occupied location, then you could show the build screen and let me position it.

I can't say I'm a fan on these ideas to be honest.

Tree should be a proper blockade with extra range or the already discussed X Defenses per Y Tree's. It's the trade off from not having a " heal anywhere" skill like other's and needing to be at a certain spot to get healed ( not counting mushrooms ). 

Three of the Dryads damaging defenses are single target already. Confining us to just one is kinda meh. At the moment Nimbus ( bar the pathing issues) has the range while hornets have the DU cost, so they balance out depending on what you want to do on a certain map. Granted, Hornets almost always win due to cost, but that's almost the same issue as Flame Auras VS Everything else. They're just that efficient.

The Slimes already provide CC while in corrupt form and the nimbus applies Drenched . 

Corruption right now is fine and provides a good choice of builds between purification and corruption. Starfall being instant is a great QoL though.

In all honesty. Apart from world tree Range and maybe Harpies ( Skyguard competition imho would be a great addition), the Dryad is in a really really really good spot right now. If anything, I would say leave her as it is (but twink Tree's blocking + range ) and focus on the Lavamancer instead. I seriously don't understand why you would even consider revamping a class that just got buffed and it actually WORKS instead of one that sees little to no love :\

TLDR : I don't like most of the proposed changes and I'm really liking the current state of the dryad to see it change so much.

Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

I can't fully support this idea.I think corrupt form should make Dryad's defences and abilities do something different.Corrupt form shouldn't be just better version of purifation form.

Currently in purifacition form Powder Toss can heal you and slow enemies.In corrupt form powder toss no longer slow and heal but it can deal damage and root enemies.

Dryad's Blessing can work like that. In purifacation form dryad's blessing increase resistances nearby allies to with some percentage penalty.In corruption form no longer buff allies but it can deal damage enemies.

So this way player can choose which form is better for certain situations in the game.

@LineDrill quote:

Corrupt Form - Short Duration Power-up

I can't fully support this idea.I think corrupt form should make Dryad's defenceses and abilities do something different.Corrupt form shouldn't be just better version of purifation form.

Currently in purifacition form Powder Toss can heal you and slow enemies.In corrupt form powder toss no longer slow and heal but it can deal damage and root enemies.

Dryad's Blessing can work like that. In purifacation form dryad's blessing increase resistances nearby allies to with some percentage penalty.In corruption form no longer buff allies but it can deal damage enemies.

So this way player can choose which form is better for certain situations in the game.

I agree with this line of thought . Thats exactly how I see the Dryad to be honest. Purification form it defends, Corruption it damages. 

Having a short power up is just....bland and boring :\ we already do that more or less to buff up towers. 

Can we also get a tooltip info on the buffs or power ups the characters get ? Specially on PS4 sometimes unless I know exactly what they do, Mystic and Dryads buffs have no explanation whatsoever. 

on 5, quick cast would be amazing (shouldve been in the game since abyss lord release), but not just on dryad, making it toggleable in settings would greatly help abyss lord and possibly future heroes

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:
@LineDrill quote:

I think different colored slimes applying different status effects would be cool. I can't think of what colors we currently have, so some of these will have to change, or new slime colors could be created:

• Red/Fire/Lava Slime - Applies instant fire damage - Consumes oiled effects to ignite enemies for high damage per second but with a short duration
  • Green/Jungle/Poison Slime - Applies a poison effect - Is lower in damage per second than Red Slimes, but lasts for a longer duration and does not consume any other status effects.
  • Light Blue/Ice Slime - Applies instant cold damage - Consumes drenched effects to freeze enemies.
  • Blue/Water Slime - Applies drenched effect and slows enemies.
  • Yellow/Storm Slime - Applies instant storm damage - Electrocutes drenched enemies.
  • Black/Oil Slime - Applies Oil effect
  • Purple/Pink/Curse Slime - Applies an armor/resistance debuff
  • Rock Slime - The Oxymoron Slime - Deals crushing damage - consumes freeze effects to apply Shatter.
  • Parasol Slime - The rarest slime, applies any 2 of the above effects chosen at random.

Just letting you know on what the actual Terraria slimes are and what they can do...

Blue, Green, & Purple Slime (Basic Forest Biome slimes)

Red & Yellow Slime (Basic underground Slimes)

Black slime (Blinds) Mother Slimes (once killed, breaks or spawns into three baby slimes) (Cavern slimes)

Ice Slime (Chill) & Spiked Ice Slime (fire projectiles that Freezes) (Ice Biome)

Sand Slime (having sand texture) (basic)

Jungle Slime (basic pale green) & Spiked Jungle slime (fires projectiles that poisons) (Jungle Biome)

Lava Slime (Immune to lava) (Underworld)

Dungeon Slime (has a golden key in it) (The Dungeon) 

Pinky (pretty tiny, rare and stronger that basic slimes)

King Slime (Boss) & Spiked Slime (what spawns out of the King Slimes when it takes damage, works exactly like spiked ice/jungle slimes except without debuff) 

Umbrella Slime (just carrying an umbrella) (Rain-Spawned)

Toxic Sludge (poisons) (Underground Hardmode Slime)

Corrupt Slime (similar to Mother Slime though a harder version, once killed breaks/spawn two to three Slimelings) & Slimer (Winged Slimes that flies once killed for the "first time" the Slimer drops to the ground without its wings as those were destroyed the the "first time" killing) (Corruption Biome)

Crimslime (spawn in random sizes) (Crimson Biome)

Gastropod (fires lasers) & Illuminant Slime (Glows and gives of after images) (the Hallow Biome)

Rainbow Slime (having the Hypno tower skin texture) (Hallow biome when it's raining)

Its great you are having another look at this character. She is my least used character.

I like the sound of it all plus the slime ideas from other people's posts.

Not too keen on the harpies perch idea. How about they favour air targets and on doing so fly up (like another persons post above) to deal with air targets when in range. Would not only look good but shows the player they are doing their job.

However taking away their ability to attack ground targets would make them obsolete when I can place an Skyguard, poison dart, cannons etc where ever I want without the need for a tree to deal with air targets.

Nimbus certainly needs to be cheaper.

Hornets nest I don't like using because its really hard to see if they do anything. Tiny hornets amongst all the enemies, my heros attacks and damage numbers get visually lost. Only by looking at the nest do I see they have done damage. I would love more visual umph on the little fellas. 

@Alonzo quote:

Its great you are having another look at this character. She is my least used character.

I like the sound of it all plus the slime ideas from other people's posts.

Not too keen on the harpies perch idea. How about they favour air targets and on doing so fly up (like another persons post above) to deal with air targets when in range. Would not only look good but shows the player they are doing their job.

However taking away their ability to attack ground targets would make them obsolete when I can place an air guard, poison dart, cannons etc where ever I want without the need for a tree to deal with air targets.

Nimbus certainly needs to be cheaper.

Hornets nest I don't like using because its really hard to see if they do anything. Tiny hornets amongst all the enemies, my heros attacks and damage numbers get visually lost. Only by looking at the nest do I see they have done damage. I would love more visual umph on the little fellas. 

What about Skyguards? As long as Harpies can do the same with the range, they can be a good alternative. Sure, it depends on the tweak to the World Tree build range to make their positioning useful but it would be good to at least have something different than the Skyguard.

Nimbus needs it's AoE back to justify the price.

And...Have you tried using Hornets? How can you NOT see what they're doing as they completely decimate everything they sting ? O_O. 

Yes. Of course I have used them. This is my opinion that I share. You opinion differs. 

What a shock on a forum. 

Hornets are visually boring when compared to other defences. End Opinion.