Sign in to follow this  
The Pink Raccoon

Boost Aura/Buff Beam towers are weak/cost too much.

As far as I'm aware, two of the least used towers in the game. Don't provide enough Oomph for their DU cost. They wouldn't be so bad if they functioned similarly to the DD1 EV Buff Beam: That being if it provided range, speed and resistance as well as damage. (I'm aware the Boost Aura provides resistance). I would love to use them more frequently, but I just can't warrant spending 40 DU when I could just place a Flame Aura or another Hornet's Nest and get loads more value. Not sure how the community feels about this.

Exactly right

They buff too little for their cost, and the boost aura default radius is too small.

As you say they should buff all stats, especially range and cost 20 DU

I think they should keep the buffs super low like they are now, just reduce the mana cost by half and give them range gambit.

That way they stay pretty optional because they do not term good damage into insane damage, but rather good damage into slightly better damage.

I have been using boost auras (not anymore since the LSA buff), but only in solo and only because I wanted more damage damage on my stack of 4 flame flame auras (square formation) while not switching heroes for speed farming. I had 2 choices, build a 5th auras or 1 boost aura, and i just found a better burst option was having 4 in a tight square formation for burning down everything so i just though why not add a BA give some crit damage (lets be honest DP is not even worth it) and a bit of a slow.

Do I recommend people this build? no its terrible it was purely a choice made for speed and practicality given my restricted choices.

@Zimmermann quote:

I think they should keep the buffs super low like they are now, just reduce the mana cost by half and give them range gambit.

I'm in 2 camps for this. If they're gonna stay as they are then they need scaling improvements. Also buff beam is the same scaling as Boost Aura at 50% extra cost? What?

I also like the idea of keeping the boost the same but giving them more utility with shards and some gambit to Boost Aura. Boost Aura has some interesting shards that aren't stat damage boosting related but its range is too small. Also some of its shards are just completely lackluster. Rippling Explosions is almost completely a waste. Chance to pop and terrible scaling. I like the slow shard and the Blockade Boost is also decent, but as already mentioned it suffers from a severe lack of range.

Buff beam doesn't even have it's own shards, costs more with its "affecting" area arguably hard to use than boost aura. Reducing the cost would be one option, if it cost the same as a proton or reflect to use then it wouldn't be so bad. Giving it more shards (or in this case any shards because it has none) would be my preference. 

Since it's introduction into the game Buff Beam has never had passives or spheres, and now in Trials it continues that Trend and doesn't have any shards. It's in that group of towers that has nothing unique to it, but also suffers from the fact that none of the generic shards do much for it either. Sure you can increase the buff by a tiny bit, but those extra stats for the buff aren't doing much with it's lackluster scaling.

I like [[150185,users]]'s suggestion of reducing the costs and giving boost aura range gambit but also think Buff Beam need's shards to give it extra utility like the Boost Aura. 

• A shard that buff's maybe the DS of towers in it by a fixed amount like it did in Nightmare. 
  • A shard that buff's the range of affected towers like the ascension for the Initiate's 3rd ability.
  • A shard that increases the size of a tower affected by it but maybe decreases the attack speed. Increases the collision at the cost of attack rate.

I like the idea that these 2 towers have interesting utility shards and also give a bit of a boost on top.

I don't know how to make buff beams and boost auras work. It will be very hard to balance them. It seems like something that will always either be too strong or too weak. I think they need to be changed into something else that is more situational. Not something that applies the same static stat bonus in all situations.

Boost aura changing to 30DU with a small range increase I would probably consider using.  And changing Buff beam to 20 DU for first node then 10du per node after that. Would be worth using then.
And yah the scaling needs to be better so its worth upgrading as well.  For example say lvl 1 gives a 15% dmg increase, at level 5 you should be up to 40% dmg increase.

I'm currently using boost auras as one of my go-to defenses, even in C7. With slow, purge evil, and deadly strikes, they fit snugly between two fire auras and at T1 can kill everything but berserkers (which LSA's can easily polish them off). They also don't need upgrades, which makes putting green mana into other defenses more useful.

The boost itself is stupidly weak. But, the utility that the shards provide make it somewhat worthwhile.

Buff beam is a complete lost cause though. There are literally no redeeming qualities in using that trash tier defense right now.