Sign in to follow this  
Argonias

Rant about multiplayer...

So, I decide that I need to farm some Power Transfer and Defense Rate shards, now that I am C7 geared and just need shards to equip into my relics for the most part.  I decide to be nice and make it a public game with the title 'Farming Shards'.  I am running with my g/f and we get almost right away two people in, that are gearing through C4, which is what I was kind of wanting, to help lesser geared players as I was farming.  This goes smoothly for 8 consecutive games, they keep hitting continue and we keep farming.  So on the 9th game, we all hit continue, suddenly me and my g/f are put into someone elses game who literally hits G, as soon as we join in.  Without really looking we hit G, cause honestly we assumed we were in still hosting our own game and had to get through the 'warmup' to get mana, to build.  Instead, all the mobs spawn, no defenses are set and we quickly lose.  Probably wouldn't have been an issue if we had mana to quickly build something, but the guy evidently had all the mana (I checked the mana box, as the creatures were spawning).  So we lose the consecutive win bonus and the extra shards we were wanting, because of the stupid matchmaking system in the game. 

I am sure people might post, why not just farm in private games.  We normally do, we were just wanting to be nice to people, so figured multiplayer would work.

Our fault for not paying more attention at the start.  Well your right, we weren't because we assumed we were still in our game, with the same two people we'd been running with for 8 games in a row...  FYI, those two were great peoples, was having a great conversation and all.

Personal opinion for the fix to this issue, would be to have multiplayer matchmaking keep the same groups as you go, if everyone hits continue.  Not sure why it worked 8x in a row, then suddenly didn't.  Another fix could be to have the matchmaking keep making games for a host, everytime he hits continue.  As in, if I make a game, and hit continue it should make another game, not search for another persons game.  This way, at least the host doesn't get thrown into someone elses game, and hit G and lose the consecutive win bonus.  Personally, if people are in a group it should make sure the people in that group stick with that host, as he continues to make games.

TL:DR - Matchmaking sucks, please fix it.  If you host a game, it should continue having you host games, not throw you into some other persons random game.

Yah, I agree that matchmaking feels really wonky right now. Trendy has mentioned that they are working on improving hosting, so hopefully it will be better once those changes come through. At least you don't get kicked out of you game if not everyone hits continue :D, taking steps in the right direction.

@redragon6466 quote:

Yah, I agree that matchmaking feels really wonky right now. Trendy has mentioned that they are working on improving hosting, so hopefully it will be better once those changes come through. At least you don't get kicked out of you game if not everyone hits continue :D, taking steps in the right direction.

True enough.

@gnollmar quote:

Its a bug, its well known, its being fixed.

I already know those things, thank you.  Was just venting, which is why I stated in the title, Rant.  =D

@geo981010 quote:

Yeah - this is annoying :(

They really need to make the pre-game ready up to a completely other button - either Alt Activate or Vote Yes would be good by me. Maybe the normal Ready Up key should be a toggle - if you hit it by accident, you should be able to hit it again to turn off your ready. If no one is readied up, stop the countdown timer. 

The more I play with Win Streaks, the more I dislike them. In other threads people were arguing over when it makes sense to boot the builder because they don't want to lose their streaks, the streak encourages playing safe builds repetitively rather than trying anything new that may cause a loss, and it really doesn't make sense to let a lesser experienced/geared player try his build either. It really just encourages building the same build over and over even though that will get boring.

Switch the Win Streak to a Daily Win Counter for a specific Difficulty Level, and store it. Losing once because you let a new guy try something or the game timed out will cost you a couple of minutes still, but you are fine the next game. And it makes the many many MP disconnects a lot easier to deal with...

Didn't even think about most of that.  I do really like the idea of a Daily Win Counter though.  Would assume at the end of the day, depending on how many wins you got, you would be able to loot a chest or something with the extra shards in it.  Or even just be able to loot the Win Counter chest whenever your done for the day for the extra shards, that way if your done after running 10 or so, you can loot it, instead of having to wait for the day to reset.  I would assume everytime you loot the chest for the shards it should reset the count back down, so the more you play the more you would get, which would encourage players to play more.  Rewards time and effort spent, while reducing the penalties for letting other people have a go.

As for the warm up, I personally think they just need to do away with that.  No point in it really, the builder is going to spend at least 3-5 minutes setting up most of the time, during which people can join before wave 1 starts.  Also gets rid of having the extra phase that no one needs at the start.  That being said, I think it was there initially because they were going to have the build phases timed at some point or some difficulty, but since that hasn't happened, there is no point in the warm up.

or something weird happen -to me anyway- when I hit continue, joining another room with wave 5 starting and I got kicked. Maybe they thought I`m just a leech or something, it`s so annoying. Especially on winning streak and that happened. 

The match making system where you are split up from your group is terrible, that I agree with. However the fact you pressed G was just a player error that happens from time to time. 

The real blame lies in two places: One, the guy you joined should not have pressed G.. it was pretty much a troll thing to do. Second, you guys to a lesser extent should have read the info, however I have made that same mistake multiple times in solo after coming back from being AFK and thinking I had not pressed G once already.

Sadly trolls exist and they will always exist.

I joined a game, some guy built the map, super slowly with weak towers, 2 of his AA towers went down (he was using sand vipers vs kobolds, that just proc'ed them rather then killed them), I replaced his destroyed towers with a SGT and a FA (I have helped out many a time when I was not the builder replacing auras, blockades, SGT's etc as mine are normally way stronger) and his response?

"this is why I hate public" 

*disconnects*

No one said anything to him, I would have been more then willing to sell the towers I made if he wanted me to, despite him not replacing them to begin and just AFKing the build round. But no he chose to not dialog and rather rage quit causing all the defenses in the game to lose all stats. It could have been an easy victory, but he chose petty narrow mindedness instead.

@Zimmermann quote:

The match making system where you are split up from your group is terrible, that I agree with. However the fact you pressed G was just a player error that happens from time to time. 

The real blame lies in two places: One, the guy you joined should not have pressed G.. it was pretty much a troll thing to do. Second, you guys to a lesser extent should have read the info, however I have made that same mistake multiple times in solo after coming back from being AFK and thinking I had not pressed G once already.

Sadly trolls exist and they will always exist.

I joined a game, some guy built the map, super slowly with weak towers, 2 of his AA towers went down (he was using sand vipers vs kobolds, that just proc'ed them rather then killed them), I replaced his destroyed towers with a SGT and a FA (I have helped out many a time when I was not the builder replacing auras, blockades, SGT's etc as mine are normally way stronger) and his response?

"this is why I hate public" 

*disconnects*

No one said anything to him, I would have been more then willing to sell the towers I made if he wanted me to, despite him not replacing them to begin and just AFKing the build round. But no he chose to not dialog and rather rage quit causing all the defenses in the game to lose all stats. It could have been an easy victory, but he chose petty narrow mindedness instead.

Yeah, like I said, it was partially our fault because we were not paying attention when the game loaded in.  If we were, more than likely we could have done or said something.  That being said, the guy who pressed 'G' before us seemed to have all the mana, at least none were in the boxes so it is quite possible he was intending to lose, as he had built no defenses and readied up. 

I think the idea of the daily win counter would solve almost the entirety of the issue though.  Even getting pushed into another persons game that is trolling wouldn't hurt you, because the loss wouldn't get rid of the wins you had already achieved.  You would be able to pick right back up and continue tallying the wins you wanted for the shards you were farming. 

A rant, in mah forums?!

Completely get your frustrations, and thanks for being level-headed about talking about them — it's part of what makes this community so great to interact with!  We really want to make the multiplayer aspect of the game more enjoyable all around (both matchmaking/party interactions, as well as incentives for multiplayer), it's just going to take time.  Curse you, time! Emoji_Orc.png

@Lawlta quote:

A rant, in mah forums?!

Completely get your frustrations, and thanks for being level-headed about talking about them — it's part of what makes this community so great to interact with!  We really want to make the multiplayer aspect of the game more enjoyable all around (both matchmaking/party interactions, as well as incentives for multiplayer), it's just going to take time.  Curse you, time! Emoji_Orc.png

Of course, there has to be the occasional rant in a forum Emoji_Huntress.png.  Just needed to blow off some steam when I first posted, lol.  I really do hope the multiplayer aspect gets better as well, it was part of what made me fall in love with DD1.  I also expect that it will get much better as time rolls on, looking back at DD1 it did not start nearly as well as it was towards the end.  Took a bit of time to get there then as well.  Also, thanks for responding.  

@Argonias quote:

Without really looking we hit G [...] all the mobs spawn, no defenses are set and we quickly lose.  [...]  So we lose the consecutive win bonus and the extra shards we were wanting, because of the stupid matchmaking system in the game. 

I don't think it was the matchmaking system that hit G before any defenses were built.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

I don't think it was the matchmaking system that hit G before any defenses were built.

True, that was the new player they were playing with who took all the mana so that even if they had not pressed G, they would've been stuck because the guy with the mana chose not to build and press G.  Matchmaking can be blamed here for taking them away from a group they were having fun with to a random new group.  That new person can also be blamed for being a troll, and a better matchmaking system would've kept them together and avoided the problem.  If you are always changing partners, the odds of running into trolls or other people who might ruin your game becomes likely, discouraging multiplayer play.  This is why there is a problem that Trendy has acknowledged and is reportedly working on addressing.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

@Argonias quote:

Without really looking we hit G [...] all the mobs spawn, no defenses are set and we quickly lose.  [...]  So we lose the consecutive win bonus and the extra shards we were wanting, because of the stupid matchmaking system in the game. 

Already said it was partially our fault.  Not completely blaming the matchmaking system, but as [[168355,users]] points out, if the matchmaking system kept us in the group we were running with instead of tossing in with some random troll, the whole issue would have been avoided.