Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie

Player Retention - Quick bullet points

@Zimmermann quote:

generally i dislike nerfs, but I cant argue with any of the points you made. 

Regarding a couple of them:

Assassins in C5 are a big change, I loved the challenge back when I was doing it.. but many cant handle it and assassins actually get easier in C6/7. I think this is backwards, and assassins should not be more of a threat in C5 then 6/7 so probably just a nerf is the easiest solution.

I think goedes should zorb just to reduce annoying RNG (though does increased core health solve this issue?)

EMP kobolds stun is long, less of a problem with cyborks though.

edit:

being able to pick your own map would also bring me back a lot faster as would a larger map pool, but I guess those are long term goals anyway. I just want to be able to play something different basically.

they are easier in C6 and C7 due to the ammount. in C5 there are like 7-8 spawning on the last waves and all at once. in C6 and C7 they are more spread out which is cake. Also once you realize how they work they are easy as is.

It's an endless cycle, they make changes, people get back to play the game till they're done with the content and then resume their "retirement".

To be honest I'm not a fan of "bring this thing from DD1 because it was really cool/made the game harder/etc" but something I'd love to see implemented is a proper survival mode, nothing like the abomination that was the DD2 version, something more like the previous version, maybe endless, with leaderboards, so you could add an element of competition to see who reaches the highest wave.

@Zimmermann quote:

@specialK quote:

I would also like to suggest a return of a hardcore mode, where crystals do not heal and we have a limited time to build

nooopeee nope nope noep npeo pneo npoe exclamation point squared. I hate being rushed, I have a wife and daughter I do not need it in game too! I will be finished when I am GOD DAMN READY!! YES i WILL TAKE THE BINS OUT!! sorry that was less about DD2 and more about taking the bins out.

other then that, the other points you raised i agreed with :)

haha ok, well it doesn't have to be obligatory, just a check box if you want to be pushed around a bit more for those of us who just can't have enough

@gotrunks712 quote:

@specialK quote:Ability to grind incursions like DD1 challenges, to get the drop we are trying rather than complete it once then buy it with currency

Have a system that once you unlock a shard, you are able to purchase it with an amount of medals or gems.

Somewhat confused by your suggestions because on one hand you want to stop the grind for shards by making them purchasable, but do the opposite for incursion weapons.

Yes, well to defend my idea, currently there is a large pool of shards in each tier, so if you are looking for a specific shard it is roughly around 3% chance you will get the shard you want when finishing a round.

If you remember from DD1, but also by playing these incursions, the weapons you get are almost guaranteed, so what you do is just farm for stats, the same as you do by buying with medals. 

Now of course you can argue, that by completing maps to get medals, is about the same thing as farming the specific map, but at least for me, it is different, farming the specific map, and waiting each time to get the same weapon to compare its stats to see if you have an upgrade, it also pushes me to play something different than chaos tiers, escape from them a bit, and have some more variety.

Some of the incursions are very enjoyable, but after you move on from a certain tier, there is really no reason to go back.

This way they become relevant again and we add another game mode, which there is already in game.

There needs to be something for people to keep pushing towards.  Ascension is not good enough.  Eventually people will get bored with what we currently have.  Any changes made to the current game are just quality of life at this point, it won't do much to keep people for the long haul.  I for one have not played much since the game has been launched.  I did not even really bother with the double exp weekend.  Grinding ascension for me is a boring endeavor when there is nothing left to achieve.  

Some suggestions:

1. Add in costumes that cost defender medals and not just gems.  No key unlocks, maybe the really old costumes that have been around for a long time.  Make them cost 5k - 8k medals or in that area.  This way people who are playing for free will have incentive to stick around until the costumes are available.  Keeping a healthy amount of free players is going to drive positive reviews, thus bringing in potential spenders who want cool looking stuff early. 
  2. Getting the new endless mode is going to help a lot, but only if it is done correctly.  Not copying / modifying some over done mode from another game title would be ideal.
  3. I know trading has been talked about and whether or not it is able to be done that can help with retention too.  Some people like trading, look at the market that exists because of those silly Counter-Strike: Global Offensive skins.  
  4. Visible Trophies.  I loved going into other peoples taverns and seeing what they had on display.  Having the tavern as a loadable level from the war table could work. 
  5. New and interesting game modes outside of trials, incursions, and the endless mode.  Add a new flowing campaign mode, let's call it Boss Campaign, something that has 5 stages with 5 waves in each stage.  Every map has one of the bosses we currently have at the end.  Even Harbinger.  I want those weapons from him at highest Chaos level.  Make this mode level 50 locked.  The player has to achieve a deck of 4 heroes capped at 50 before it unlocks.   As they progress through the stages it ramps up in difficulty.  The boss will always be the current highest trial difficulty.   The campaigns will reset weekly.  Once a stage has been beat the player can replay it over and over for the week.  Once reset, the player will have to replay the 5 stages again with a new boss at the end (would be cool, but a lot of work, to see new map designs for each boss campaign, fire for the Demon Lord, forest for Betsy, etc).  For this mode the whole campaign should be instanced, so once the player loads into it on the server they progress through the stage, once one area is cleared they sell defenses and move to the next area to set up and defend. Have the grumpy old man collect left over green mana into his cart to go with you and two knights from the kingdom cart an eternia crystal for the player to protect from the old ones (would be a cool cinematic to see the boss sucked into the crystal).  With each stage there are 4 defense points plus 2 air defense areas (go ahead and make on of them Ogre Skies) (Maybe enhance it to an Ogre riding a Siege Roller and he throws out Griblock's)
 To recap, we just need more things to keep pushing towards.

@specialK quote:

I would also like to suggest a return of a hardcore mode, where crystals do not heal and we have a limited time to build

Pet reworks with more unique abilities, having distinct trees and make them have a greater impact in game rather than a 30s cooldown attack ability.

Better rewards for multiplayer games

Ability to grind incursions like DD1 challenges, to get the drop we are trying rather than complete it once then buy it with currency

Faster and easier swap between heroes during building phase

Have a system that once you unlock a shard, you are able to purchase it with an amount of medals or gems.

Signed! :D

My additional suggestion:

Instead of a system:

A Tower - a META relic + shards build that will come up after 1-2 weeks of play.

This kind of system:

A Tower + Relic (Orb, Mark, Medallion, Totem) = unique abilities that can be even more boosted with specific shards.

As an example:

PDT + Medallion would behave as normal.

PDT + Orb = even smaller micro darts hitting 2x targets, deadly for goblins but totally useless for armoured guys

PDT + totem = rocket darts or nuclear infused darts or armoured darts or M.I.R.V. darts best for bigger targets

PDT + mark = bleeding darts or explosive darts (although we have a shard like that)

Second example with Spiked Blockade:

SB + Totem = classic version with huge dmg buffer

SB + Orb = regenerating Spiked Blockade (very small amount though)

SB + Medallion = more spikes causing bleeding effect

SB + Mark = greater knockback, even for bosses, very low speed though. 

Also:

- challange modes, just like in DD! the assault was awesome!

- challange modes = random map with 3 random perks: moving crystals, no towers, no ascension, no player heal, no crystal heal at the end of a wave, no blockades, 

- 4-man raids with tier sets - instead of reloading you go from one chamber into another where you challange bosses, the gem transfer is blocked - each player builds stuff from his fixed pool, so it would require cooperation, a gauntlet, where 2 of of 4 ppl have to go into the tunnel where there's a switch to disable boss' shield to nail it down, controllable entities on the map (a cannon), special weapons to be picked (just for the raid time) which would change the 1-4 skills

@Kruntski quote:

I don't think anything needs to be made easier except C5 assassins and progression needs to be made completely transparent.  None of this bull shizer with spreadsheets and mules.  

Majority of comments here are from bored C7 players.  I'm pretty close to that myself.  For them, we need more content.  Another 3 chaos levels, endless mode, more reasons to farm, make pets interesting and desirable again, etc, etc

I can't like this post enough^

The game isn't too easy and shouldn't be made easier. Maybe tiny quality of life changes, bug fixes, tower balances and such, but the enemies are fine (if this is how you intend the end game to be, ie: this tower for C5, this tower for C7 etc). 
Emphasis here on "majority of comments here are from bored C7 players". We all want to keep playing this game, (at least i do) so give us that opportunity with some content that takes more than a week to beat. Give us back endless farming, i want the rush of getting the perfect piece of gear, not following along the yellow brick road of this straight line, welfare progression. 

@Kruntski quote:

Majority of comments here are from bored C7 players.  I'm pretty close to that myself.  For them, we need more content.  Another 3 chaos levels, endless mode, more reasons to farm, make pets interesting and desirable again, etc, etc

I'm a bored C5/C6 player. I can no longer will myself to play the same small set of random maps on repeat hoping to find upgrades and never getting any.

I am already sick of the maps so it really only takes 2 or 3 runs with zero legendaries or 1 legendary but it's an orb for me to say *** this if i'm not going to be making any progress at all at least I can go play something else that's more enjoyable.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:
@Kruntski quote:

I'm a bored C5/C6 player. I can no longer will myself to play the same small set of random maps on repeat hoping to find upgrades and never getting any.

I am already sick of the maps so it really only takes 2 or 3 runs with zero legendaries or 1 legendary but it's an orb for me to say *** this if i'm not going to be making any progress at all at least I can go play something else that's more enjoyable.

Also where I am. If you're going to make a game that is heavy on the need to grind, then you need to make the grind fun. This is not fun to grind. Hence the reason I am playing another game until a patch comes out that changes my perspective.  FYI I'm also not a c7 player, I can't stay entertained long enough to grind out the game.