Sign in to follow this  
Steiny

Tips or pointers for C7?

Hey guys

Just finished up C6, capped on drops (though I could prolly use 1 or 2 more orange marks).  I've pretty much run through C1-C6 with squire blocks, PDTs, FAs, SGT, and proton beams - EV2 is my primary DPS char.  Just ran my first few C7 maps, I think 2 or 3 times out of 10 I made it past the first wave.  

I'm not complaining, mind you, I think it should be tough to break into a new chaos tier, especially the last one.  What I am looking for is maybe some tips/pointers you C7 vet guys have to pass down.  Obviously the flying kobolds are the new 'thing' to figure out in C7.  I do notice that they really don't have much HP, but seem to get pissed easily, and bombard anything close to it.  

So yea, let me know if any of you guys noticed something when you broke into C7 that would help. 

Thanks

When I broke into C7 I was going back and forth between the Maw of the Earth Drake (magma dudes wall) and Viper Fangs (mystic's walls) for walls.  The health on the magma dudes walls was very nice early on, then I started into the mystic walls for the CC potential they had.  Other than that I mainly used FA, LSA and SGT for dps defenses.  Normally if I put the FA right, the Kobolts would die to them and never even make it that far.  The LSA was mainly used near the walls to dps the lady orcs or bosses when they got to the walls.  The SGT I mainly used as a backup in case the kobolts did make it past the FA, normally put them behind the walls a fair distance, just to make sure the kobolts didn't dive into the cores.  That would be how I broke into C7, after some failed attempts.

my tips are:

• start with turtle builds, so on maps like Little Horn valley just turtle build.
  • Once you progress to no longer turtle building make sure you have saftey walls to protect your secondary objectives like on graystone plaza left hand side.
  • Don't over complecate your build with to many tower types, and stick to ground defenses.
  • I would suggest 3-4 FA's per lane with 2 stacked at the front and 1-2 at the back (you want double FA's to "nuke" EMP fliers and double at the back to keep high damage on Berserkers on your blockades.
  • use frosty nodes as your only CC since you have EV2, its very strong and can freeze berserkers.
  • make sure you are using the mandatory shards with your medallions (transfer-range-rate).
  • Place your SGT's in such a way that they do not attack EMP Kobolds before your flame auras, you do not want to proc these guys... You want them to take no damage then hit 2 Flame auras at once and get attacked by your SGT. If you get this right, they simply cant do anything.

When you are breaking into C7 I'd go with Zimm's build and stick with ground defences. I used FA, Proton squire barricades and PDTs, and still do.

@Fozzie quote:

When you are breaking into C7 I'd go with Zimm's build and stick with ground defences. I used FA, Proton squire barricades and PDTs, and still do.

I am actually playing with FA's and LSA's, but yeah I think proton are a must if you want the best C7 CC. How are PDT's doing post nerf? The only reason I didn't suggest them was because of that.

Sweet, thanks guys

I like the pointer about stacking FAs at beginning of a lane, and keeping SGT out of initial range of the EMP kobolds.  I think that by itself will help a bit.  I noticed that if I took care of the EMPs in time, the rest of the wave really wasn't that difficult.  Squire wall has 4 mill HP unbuffed.  

I guess maybe i can re-try the LSA.  Even after patch, I wasn't too impressed with it.  

Also, Zimmer, do you recommend  medallions over marks?  I pretty much use marks on every damage dealing defense.  Obviously focusing on crit damage.  And yea, proton nodes with frosty-ness to them is HUGE - love that tower.  It's pretty much what made me go from struggling to clear C6 to winning every round, lol.

I find a lot of people forget the importance of CC in their builds I use:

squire walls with stun shard for walls

Flame auras and oil geysers with stun shard for lane killing

Sky guards for anti air.

C7 is afkable for me at this point minus rollers.

When I was breaking into C7, I used Flame Auras, Proton Beams, Sky Guard Towers and Spike Blockades. I used the Dryad as dps to clear Berserkers off the walls, however the EV2 can probably do it well too.

I played only Crumbled Bulwark but now that there are more maps, I'd recommend trying Crumbled Bulwark, Dragonfall Sewers and perhaps Dead Road, Buried Bastille (massive DU).

if you like, you can drop a Totem + Fortification on an apprentice's Frost tower, and plop that near the start of each lane., The frost towers will then 'tank' the EMP Kobolts. If you are still on c6 gear, you might need to run around repairing the frost towers a bit, but once you cross ~1.2M HP on it, you can safely ignore it until a wave ends. This really helped me to break into c7 whilst playing on consoles.

@Partek quote:

I played only Crumbled Bulwark but now that there are more maps, I'd recommend trying Crumbled Bulwark, Dragonfall Sewers and perhaps Dead Road, Buried Bastille (massive DU).

I agree with most of that, to be more specific:

• Sewers if you can defend before both sub objectives, if you lose either the RNG factor of that map sky rockets. its an easy map plagued with RNG loss potential however.
  • Crumbling Bulwark has a big DU limit, its very easy just abuse the two chokes on the top section of the map.
  • Dead Road has a nice DU limit too, however the mana is not enough to complete your DU limit build at the start. Don't overbuild vs the skeleton only lane (usually u don't even need to spend mana on a blockade there). 
  • Buried Bastille, super easy with a big DU limit. Build your blockades in the center double lane above the steps to your main core.. or you will lose to RNG Hex thrower spears. Build a safety wall behind the south east core, skeletons etc can approach this core from behind. fully block all lanes until you know what works as DU is not an issue.
  • Assault on the throne room - skip, its DU limit is low and its one of the harder maps, though fun. If you try and build turtle the long lanes close to the throne and use a single SGT in the middle to deal with the air lanes. Waves 4-5 you will need to DPS air lanes. Bosses only spawn from the right hand side if you are looking at the throne, build your defenses accordingly.
  • Little Horn Valley, simply turtle this map, easy enough if you let your defenses multi damage parallel lanes.
  • Nimbus reach, again reasonably easy just turtle it  again. Remember bosses only spawn from the  right hand side if looking out at the map from your spawn location/respawn location.
  • Greystone Plaza, turtle this map its reasonably easy that way. Once you can build in front of the sub objectives make sure you safety wall the sub objective on the left side (as one looks at the map from the spawn/respawn location. The safety wall is key to prevent EMP Kobolds destroying that objective, however not sure how important that is now with the increased core health pools.