Sign in to follow this  
zMiiChy

The Dryad is Fantastic, but the trees need a little work

She is by far my favorite character. I have been using her as my main since I bought her in early Chaos 1 transition. With the slight fix of her traps in the recent patch, I can even get through Chaos 5 just using her. 

Hornets are amazing with power transfer. Nimbus has insane range and is good for fatties. Slime is a cool crowd control for small mobs that the hornet isn't targeting and is great in the power surge incursion. Harpies are still... not the best, but were improved a lot.

Now we just need better trees. I love my trees, use them as walls and they work great. They just need better collision radius so it doesn't require 3 trees (or 5 on buried bastille) to keep a lady orc from running by them.

Having deadly strikes on your trees will give you more room to build and a larger aura for you and other players to get heals + higher crit chance and damage. Maybe add a gambit for the aura as well? That would allow people to make better use of her traps if they don't use the tree as a wall.

Ps, Dryad is a great tank. Same HP pool as Squire plus the Dryad's blessing with a shard that reduces cost to 0 and another than increases its armor buff by 40% let's me take assassins in C5 with only 30k hp so I can focus more on her dps. (Which is at 350k in C5 outside of the aura).

All in all, I love the Dryad. A few tweaks are needed but I don't want to see her completely redesigned.

EDIT:

Aparrently this needs clarification

1.) Most of the blockades got a buff in the latest patch but the World Tree didn't.

2.) The collision radius of the tree is smaller than the tree itself.

3.) I am not asking all blockades to be plain walls with the same radius.

4.) I would like to see the radius of the tree get increased to, at the very least, match the tree's design.

I don't believe the trees should be changed out of being blockades. Just make them a better blockade. I don't use the Squire, Lavamancer, or the Mystic so she is my go-to for walls.

I have loved whoever had the idea of a single tree on the map and it covers the map and allows all towers to be built on the map.  Like the Mystic Obelisk.  Also, I have read getting rid of the tree and changing the blockade to vines and the vines randomly reach out under ground and root mobs in place for 1-2 seconds.

Player ideas, not Trendy's.  Nothing official here.

@Kambien quote:

I have loved whoever had the idea of a single tree on the map and it covers the map and allows all towers to be built on the map.  Like the Mystic Obelisk.  Also, I have read getting rid of the tree and changing the blockade to vines and the vines randomly reach out under ground and root mobs in place for 1-2 seconds.

Player ideas, not Trendy's.  Nothing official here.

That's an awful idea for anyone who uses her trees as walls. I can understand having a number of defenses per tree and making it a higher range or increasing the range in general, but for people who have been specializing in her trees as walls (like myself) that would be a terrible and unwelcome change to her design.

Another tidbit. Hornets absolutely shred bosses. I was doing the C6 incursion with top C4 gear because I'm dying for that meowmere (lost on last wave) and the Hornets were able to kill every boss, even with 19mil hp. Weapon manufacturers did the rest.

Corrupt Starfall is also amazing. When I can't switch to EV for her dps, the starfall is just as good with 7 stars to hold. Easily does 7million dps with barely any points to ability power.

The nimbus will also aggro flying enemies so they're good for backup if you already have a setup near a crystal. 

You can currently get through most of Chaos with the Dryad alone (plus maybe some anti air from monk).

@zMiiChy quote:

Ps, Dryad is a great tank. Same HP pool as Squire plus the Dryad's blessing with a shard that reduces cost to 0 and another than increases its armor buff by 40% let's me take assassins in C5 with only 30k hp so I can focus more on her dps. (Which is at 350k in C5 outside of the aura).

I feel like its just better to have the 40% armor shard + blessing 40% + corruptions harmony over the cost of 0 for blessing. you cant have it on all the time but its much more effective since you can get that extra 40% armor

This is the one change I do not want to see with World Trees. They should not just become clones of every other blockade in the game. If there's a change to World Trees I would like to see something unique, not more homogenization of blockades.

I want more defenses to be specialized and situational. I don't want everyone to be the same. If you want blockades with better collision, use spiked blockades. Squire can't do everything Dryad can, so Dryad shouldn't be able to do everything Squire can.

The major issue is you need more for a single lane to be effectively walled off.  It's cheaper to get a world tree to max tier, but because you need more it doesn't equalize.  She's a great class, but I would rather see her become something akin to a character with no defense walls and only attack walls if they can't make the world tree better.

@Kambien quote:

The major issue is you need more for a single lane to be effectively walled off.  It's cheaper to get a world tree to max tier, but because you need more it doesn't equalize.  She's a great class, but I would rather see her become something akin to a character with no defense walls and only attack walls if they can't make the world tree better.

Having better collision range would fix that pretty easily. Not interested in bringing out another character just to throw down a wall. I appreciate how she's a self sufficient build on her own.

@super_slayan quote:

@zMiiChy quote:

I feel like its just better to have the 40% armor shard + blessing 40% + corruptions harmony over the cost of 0 for blessing. you cant have it on all the time but its much more effective since you can get that extra 40% armor

Armor + 40%, Blessing armor buff 40%, Blessing cost 0. She's a tank constantly that way. I only switch to corruption when I want to wreck stuff with abilities.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

This is the one change I do not want to see with World Trees. They should not just become clones of every other blockade in the game. If there's a change to World Trees I would like to see something unique, not more homogenization of blockades.

I want more defenses to be specialized and situational. I don't want everyone to be the same. If you want blockades with better collision, use spiked blockades. Squire can't do everything Dryad can, so Dryad shouldn't be able to do everything Squire can.

As I've said before, it's nice to have a character who can be self sustaining without needing to bring out someone just to throw a wall down. I happen to not use any other character that has walls because I don't like their offensive towers at all. The Dryad tree IS very unique with its heal aura, characters buffs, and trap building set up. It doesn't need a drastic chang to it. 

@zMiiChy quote:

it's nice to have a character who can be self sustaining without needing to bring out someone just to throw a wall down.

It makes sense what you're saying; but not everyone plays as you do.  I only find the Dryad useful as a tank/damage dealer.  Mostly a damage dealer (hero only).  With the crux who tree places the character in I don't see her defenses being viable (for my style of play).  Hopefully we'll see some form of evolution of both her and the lavamancer in the future.

@Kambien quote:

@zMiiChy quote:

it's nice to have a character who can be self sustaining without needing to bring out someone just to throw a wall down.

It makes sense what you're saying; but not everyone plays as you do.  I only find the Dryad useful as a tank/damage dealer.  Mostly a damage dealer (hero only).  With the crux who tree places the character in I don't see her defenses being viable (for my style of play).  Hopefully we'll see some form of evolution of both her and the lavamancer in the future.

It'd be nice to see it changed a bit so it's a better blockade buffer with some extra range for her defenses. I believe the tree needs some tweaking to make it masterful, but it would be sad to see it changed from being a wall at all. I don't want to see that happen. 

@zMiiChy quote:

It'd be nice to see it changed a bit so it's a better blockade buffer with some extra range for her defenses. I believe the tree needs some tweaking to make it masterful, but it would be sad to see it changed from being a wall at all. I don't want to see that happen. 

If anything, leave the tree to block what it does, but let it have a fairly large taunt radius.  If it is going to always be smaller, let it taunt further (AOE every 1 sec).

@zMiiChy quote:

As I've said before, it's nice to have a character who can be self sustaining without needing to bring out someone just to throw a wall down. I happen to not use any other character that has walls because I don't like their offensive towers at all. The Dryad tree IS very unique with its heal aura, characters buffs, and trap building set up. It doesn't need a drastic chang to it. 

And that's where we disagree. I don't think every hero should be able to do everything, or else what's the point of having different heroes?

It's so weird to me how DD2 is the only game where people expect to be able to play as only as 1 class and expect to be able to do everything with that 1 class. And I'm not even talking about you specifically. There are so many people in DD2 who want that. Look at any other class based game and each one has its own role that it can fulfill. I'll never understand the argument that all classes should just be homogenous reskinned clones of each other with only minor differences like they can all self heal but they heal in different ways. They all have mana but they regen mana in different ways.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

And that's where we disagree. I don't think every hero should be able to do everything, or else what's the point of having different heroes?

It's so weird to me how DD2 is the only game where people expect to be able to play as only as 1 class and expect to be able to do everything with that 1 class. 

Nailed it.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

It's so weird to me how DD2 is the only game where people expect to be able to play as only as 1 class and expect to be able to do everything with that 1 class. And I'm not even talking about you specifically. There are so many people in DD2 who want that. Look at any other class based game and each one has its own role that it can fulfill. I'll never understand the argument that all classes should just be homogenous reskinned clones of each other with only minor differences like they can all self heal but they heal in different ways. They all have mana but they regen mana in different ways.

DD1 was a lot different in that regard.. but this isn't DD1. So long as they are nerfing and messing around with offenses so that not every character can actually have that unique building potential in Chaos tiers, I can't bring myself to want to invest in different characters for different purposes. I don't believe this game has achieved that balance that DD1 had where I had the desire to max out every character so I could have all of those unique playstyles. Before the Dryad was fixed recently, I was using her only for walls and dps. My bias is I just love these Terraria trees.

Ps edit, I actually like the idea of characters having different walls that work different ways. The characters that do have walls each have unique little gimmicks. Only the Squire and Apprentice seem to have boring ones.

IF they ever bring back the Aps shard that lets his Blockade drop meteors when attacked it will be a lot better. I used to love watching those things melt bosses and rollers....

@mordyo quote:

IF they ever bring back the Aps shard that lets his Blockade drop meteors when attacked it will be a lot better. I used to love watching those things melt bosses and rollers....

I had no idea that existed, but it sounds awesome.

@mordyo quote:

Yeah...I was waiting for that shard to come back. Still waiting now hehe.....

Dryad Trees are perfectly fine blockades as they are, if you need them to be able to block a bigger radius then upgrade them. You can effectively use 1 Dryad Tree as a blockade in any lane that usually requires only 1 squire blockade, just placement becomes more important.

With all the unique buffs and healing that comes with the Tree it really doesn't need anything more, its already pretty OP, the only thing the tree deserves is its Range Gambit in the ascension tree.

@OblivionDanny quote:

Dryad Trees are perfectly fine blockades as they are, if you need them to be able to block a bigger radius then upgrade them. You can effectively use 1 Dryad Tree as a blockade in any lane that usually requires only 1 squire blockade, just placement becomes more important.

With all the unique buffs and healing that comes with the Tree it really doesn't need anything more, its already pretty OP, the only thing the tree deserves is its Range Gambit in the ascension tree.

You are incorrect. In Chaos 4 and up, whenever a lady orc shows their face, it's quite apparent that having a single tree in a lane that would require only one spike blockade does not work. Littlehorn is a perfect example of this, I often need to put two trees on several lanes to keep them from leaking through. Buried Bastille is another example. Instead of requiring 3/4 spike blockades on the mid lane, you need 5 trees... 5 in order to reliably stop lady orcs. Dead Road also has that problem as well as Temple of the Necrotic.. and I'm sure the list goes on.

I have consistently used the Dryad to place walls this entire game and I can 100% tell you that there are a vast number of lanes that require one spike blockade but would need two trees or more. 

You can easily look at the actual radius of the tree now that they've updated the UI and compare it to the spike blockade if you are skeptical.

I think the only change the tree needs is to become wider as it upgrades, to better aid its blockading ability. Make roots grow outward, or something. 

@DrkrZen quote:

I think the only change the tree needs is to become wider as it upgrades, to better aid its blockading ability. Make roots grow outward, or something. 

It only has two upgrades and that makes huge maps still just as difficult because you can't realistically upgrade every tree, especially when you need to be upgrading offensive towers. Its base collision range is less than half of any other blockade's and I believe it should be bigger than what it is. Honestly, I'd be satisfied if the collision range actually matched the tree's visual design, it doesn't. The radius is smaller than the base of the tree.

I don't think all blockades need to be equal. They just all need to be useful. World Tree still provides more that Spike Blockade does not. It has the McBufferson shard, it enables Dryad defenses to be built, it has a passive healing aura, and a crit buff aura. All of that utility should come with a trade off. If it was as big as Spike Blockade then what reason would there ever be to use a Spike Blockade? It provides absolutely nothing else.

I would not like to see all blockades interchangeable. I want to see them keep their own specific uses. Spike Blockade is the wide wall, World Tree is the buffing/healing wall. Choose whatever blockade is most appropriate for your situation. If you decide to use one that doesn't work well in your case, that's on you.