Sign in to follow this  
Plane

Reduce small diamond to 44 small coal instead of 88

A little while back pjtor posted an idea about reducing the number of small coal required to spawn a small diamond.  Right now it takes 88 small coal, which is honestly something not many people will ever do given that small diamonds are simply not that amazing.  Most people would rather farm regular diamonds if they're going to do that many runs.  So to make farming small diamonds more reasonable, pjtor suggested changing it to require only 44 small coal rather than 88.

I'm not sure how many people saw the original post, so I'm making a new thread to draw attention to the idea.  I know pjtor and Inferno.0b want it to happen, and I think it's a good idea too.  But I'd like to get some more community feedback before making a change like this.

Do you all think we should make this change?

NOTE: This proposal is about small diamonds.  Regular diamonds would remain the same as they are now (88 coal).

Was in support of this back then, still supporting the reduction of Small Diamond coal requirement to 44.
And also proposing a hard/soft cap stat increase to 400 from current 360. Even turtles are better.

Cutting the cost in half is a bit too drastic in my opinion since diamonds are pretty important in trading and could easily make them worth far less. 66 would be a better cost for a diamond since 88 is a bit too much and wouldn't devalue them as much. 

@curtisgk quote:

Cutting the cost in half is a bit too drastic in my opinion since diamonds are pretty important in trading and could easily make them worth far less. 66 would be a better cost for a diamond since 88 is a bit too much and wouldn't devalue them as much. 

This is about small diamonds, which aren't very important in trading.  Regular diamonds would remain at 88 coal.

Some people obviously didn't see the word "small".  Hehhehe.  But since several people are now talking about regular diamonds instead of small diamonds, let me continue on that note.  I have always thought 22 runs of WW for a regular (large?) diamond is too much.  Especially since most diamonds are no-cappers that end up being worth 30 coal (5 cubes).  So let's make a regular diamond cost 32 coal and small diamonds cost 16 small coal.

@Plane quote:

@curtisgk quote:

This is about small diamonds, which aren't very important in trading.  Regular diamonds would remain at 88 coal.

Whoops, I missed a couple of words. Total agreement then. Should definitely be 44 small coal. 

+1 On making the change and reducing the amount of small coal it takes for a small diamond. :)

+1 on making this change would be easier for people who collect small diamonds and shouldn't impact anything.

@russman quote:

Some people obviously didn't see the word "small".  Hehhehe.  But since several people are now talking about regular diamonds instead of small diamonds, let me continue on that note.  I have always thought 22 runs of WW for a regular (large?) diamond is too much.  Especially since most diamonds are no-cappers that end up being worth 30 coal (5 cubes).  So let's make a regular diamond cost 32 coal and small diamonds cost 16 small coal.

I don't really agree with reducing the cost to 32, since it seems too low.

Personally I think around 60 sounds about right since; they should maintain some difficulty in obtaining one, while also keeping a balance between the values of a non cap(30 coal / 5 cv) and double(90 coal / 15 cv).

I agree with the reduction of small diamond costs. Be it 44 or anything below I'm fine with it.

Even tho I suggested it in my original post I wouldn't touch normal diamond requirements. It'd eventually lead to a whole lot of other changes I don't want to happen.

I support a reduction in the small coal cost for a small diamond.

Personally, I'd support an even larger reduction to say 22 small coal, as well as the stat cap raise from 360 to 400 as suggested earlier in the thread, as currently small diamonds' stats are relatively lacklustre compared to what can be farmed for its level requirement. Examples include kobolds, skeletons, fish bowls, turtles if you can roll one with positives in all tower stats, mega chickens or even any myth random pet reward, and all of these can be farmed in a fraction of the time required for a small diamond currently.

As a stat pet, you'd either be farming it for the speed bonus (skeletons give a smaller speed bonus with better stats if you can ever roll a good one - salt!), or vanity. However, running a map 22 times (not accounting for any unfortunate stat rolls) for a vanity item per item doesn't sound very appealing to me.

This drove me away from farming these in the first place; hello pirate skeletons!

Small diamonds should definitely be reduced in coal cost (or buffed (480 stat cap perhaps))

I also think that regular diamonds should also be reduced, however this is quite a controversial change given that they are used as currency.

I see two options:

1. Reduce the cost gradually over several updates, giving the trading market advanced warning of the changes and time for the relative costs to adjust, if this option were picked I'd suggest a new cost of 80 for the next update and a reduction of 5-10 per update after that until it reaches a more palatable cost perhaps 50 coal per diamond.

2. Allow a variable amount of coal to be used to craft a diamond (clearly more work to implement) but would tie in nicely with the new tavern forge design, under this system a player could use any amount (maybe with a sensible min + max imposed) of (small) coal to produce a (small) diamond with the quality going up the more coal is used to craft it. Under this scheme, I'd like to see the possibility of spawning perfect diamonds if a sufficient amount of coal were to be used.

2a. As a nice addition to the above; perhaps it would be possible to use additional coal + a diamond to improve it's stats and/or change it's colour.

I support too, i don't really do WW much but i think that it is 100% fair that you only need 44 small coals

The change for small coals is in for the next patch.

@Carnage- quote:

I also think that regular diamonds should also be reduced, however this is quite a controversial change given that they are used as currency.

The CDT is unlikely to change regular diamonds at this point because a number of community members are strongly against it.