Tower build questions.

Hello my fellow Defenders! I have a few questions about towers and the relics to use for them. I have been putting Totems on my blockades for more health. Then on everything else I have been putting medallions on them for the increase of power. I never use the mark for crit damage or the orb for speed. Should I be rethinking my setups? I always figured health for the blockades and more power meant more damage output. So not sure if this is the best way to be a great team player and be helpful overall to the game.  For my blockades I use the colossus, maw of the earth drake. and for attacks I use fissure of embermount, oil geyser, volcano, ballista, poision dart tower, skeletal ramster, bone archers.

Orb is good early on to reach attack speed caps for Crowd Control structures such as Earthtower (with earth toss shard) and a few other CC heavy structures. Later on the Orbs become rather useless since you can hit the cap without them.

Marks can be better than Medals on certain structures. Some structures have a higher scaling with Crit Dmg than with Flat Dmg. Keep in mind though if you want to use Marks, you NEED to stat into Crit Chance on your ascension for your defenses or Crit Dmg will do little to nothing. Good thing this only requires you to be ascension level 60 to get 20 points into Def Crit Chance.

Marks are good on Weapon Manufacturer, Flame Auras, Blaze Balloons...

Medals are good on Poison Dart Tower, Sky Guard Tower...

As a last note, remember 33% crit chance is the cap so stopping at 30% is good.

@super_slayan quote:

play how you want to play. now how others want you to play

This is the best advice :P

I really recommend you just experimenting with relics and shards to find something you like. You'll find the game is pretty easy the whole way around, so you don't have to always have the most optimal setups.

BUT... if you're one of those that like the details...

As omega said, early on Orbs are useful for utility/CC defenses, but most of these defenses reach max speed with about 6k bonus speed if I remember right (which you'll reach pretty fast), and ALL defenses are maxed by 12k bonus attack speed, which orbs surpass uber fast, so they get useless real fast.

One of the more dedicated forum contributors at one point calculated the exact stat point Orbs out scale Medallions/Marks (cause theoretically, they should), but it was well past the speed cap lol.

Totems are obvious... enough said.

Medallions vs Marks can be highly debated, and it really doesn't matter all that much which you use... Until you get the OP Power Transfer shard, I'm pretty sure Marks are stronger (could be wrong, so feel free to experiment!), but after power transfer, IF my quick estimations are right... Medallions should be about 10% stronger with optimal shards (as well as just being more consistent if you hate RNG like me...)

Either way, I'm pretty sure it's not a massive power difference, and I can confirm that using a medallion setup will more than easily beat the entire game. So again, just experiment and try for yourself is my suggestion.

@Omegaknight quote:

Some structures have a higher scaling with Crit Dmg than with Flat Dmg. Keep in mind though if you want to use Marks, you NEED to stat into Crit Chance on your ascension for your defenses or Crit Dmg will do little to nothing. Good thing this only requires you to be ascension level 60 to get 20 points into Def Crit Chance.

Marks are good on Weapon Manufacturer, Flame Auras, Blaze Balloons...

Medals are good on Poison Dart Tower, Sky Guard Tower...

Small addition to this... It is worth noting that ALL towers are supposed to have a defense crit scaling exactly 5x that of their DP scaling. PDT is unique in the fact that the crit damage  scales off of its lower attack damage, and not the poison damage, indirectly making crit noticably weaker for PDT than other towers.

Sky guard also seems be an anomaly... despite it being SUPPOSED to crit for 5x its defense power scaling, it seems to be criting for far less. Possibly having to do with it's unique nature of having it's DPS split between 3 targets? Not sure if it's a UI inaccuracy, or a scaling bug... Hard to test since it doesn't work on dummies, but something you may wanna pay attention to...

Other than those two however... the first rule of DCrit Scaling = 5x DP Scaling should apply.