Sign in to follow this  
Kambien

Monk Lightning Aura - Feasible?

Hello!
I have been loving the Initiate and Abyss Lord.  Was trying to figure out... is the lightning aura truly only single target now?  Can it be given a shard to chain lightning in C7 maybe?  I really want to use it but not if it's single target.

Thoughts? Recommendations?  Or is it just in a bad place (stats/dmg/attack rate)?

Thanks in advance!

The Lightning Strikes Aura hits hard (mine does 7M on crit at level 5), but it's super slow (hits every 2 seconds). I am pretty sure that it's single target only, a Chain Lightning Shard would be nice, since the Earthshatter Tower does slightly less damage but hits every second. As of now i think it's not as viable as other single target Towers/Traps.

One possible use would be right at your wall of a lane that has a non-ranged miniboss coming, or right where a slekeleon dies (and hence respawns next round).  A bit niche, but I bet you can make it work!  Combine with a geyser for stun on the target (water + electric = stun).  The good news is that the lightning aura is probably included in those defenses receiving a buff in the patch coming Tuesday, and it might be much more viable after that.

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:

The Lightning Strikes Aura hits hard (mine does 7M on crit at level 5), but it's super slow (hits every 2 seconds). I am pretty sure that it's single target only, a Chain Lightning Shard would be nice, since the Earthshatter Tower does slightly less damage but hits every second. As of now i think it's not as viable as other single target Towers/Traps.

That makes complete sense. snowman2.png  Maybe we will see it get buffed in the 1.03 patch. monk_small.png

Thanks for the help!

@lekkin007 quote:

One possible use would be right at your wall of a lane that has a non-ranged miniboss coming, or right where a slekeleon dies (and hence respawns next round).  A bit niche, but I bet you can make it work!  Combine with a geyser for stun on the target (water + electric = stun).  The good news is that the lightning aura is probably included in those defenses receiving a buff in the patch coming Tuesday, and it might be much more viable after that.

Hoping so!  It would be great to be able to use the lightning aura as something sustainable in terms of place-able defenses.

@Kambien quote:

Hello!
I have been loving the Initiate and Abyss Lord.  Was trying to figure out... is the lightning aura truly only single target now?  Can it be given a shard to chain lightning in C7 maybe?  I really want to use it but not if it's single target.

Thoughts? Recommendations?  Or is it just in a bad place (stats/dmg/attack rate)?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, it is now single target after the trials. Trendy updated from Lightning Aura (something like Flame Aura) to Lightning Strikes Aura.

But Chain Lightning sounds like a cool idea to combat insane difficulties :D

Lightning Aura from my testing is bugged (unless this is some bizarre masochistic design choice) and this bug causes it to be one of the worst towers in the game. It fires at air missing potential targets within its range quite a lot. I would say maybe 60% of the time from some light testing against a single target and multiple targets when testing on dummies in tavern. There would be cases where it wouldn't hit any target despite having multiple in range for 10-20 second periods. This means even for a boss or lady orc it is an extremely bad tower to use atm, even before getting to its other flaws.

If you combine with a Geyser Trap or Flame Aura/Explosive Trap with Water Elemental that attacks faster than 2 seconds, it can be pretty effective at disrupting bosses or Snooki (what I call Lady Orcs), especially the Siege Roller. However, the problem is that it only hits 1 enemy every 2 seconds and I can get the same results with 10 DU more from a Earthshatter in half the time. You can also achieve the same result by carrying a weapon with Storm Damage or a pet.

i think towers below 1s attack rate / single target (LSA, earthshatter, ballista...) are useless in this game

people only use the tower with attack rate range from 0.3 - 0.75 with aoe (flame aura, wm, pdt...) 

except some stun traps