Sign in to follow this  
Steiny

Need some help with Gear

Hey guys - hoping to find a "better" way to sort through gear, to make sure I'm getting the best drops possible.  Hope I'm just doing it wrong....

My gear (squire mule):

Sword - 716 (orange)

Shield - 410 (blue)

Helm - 271 (purple)

Chest - 702 (orange)

Glove - 206 (purple)

Boots - 239 (purple)

Relics (x4) - 504 (orange), 557 (orange), 337 (purple), 337 (purple)

These are the sell prices of the items which, as far as I know, are the goto way of knowing they need to be replaced.  Most of this gear is capped Chaos IV gear, with some pieces from Chaos 5 in there.  I made sure to unequip any relics from my other 3 deck toons that I do not use - to be sure that my squire mule is the one that is "judged" when choosing what drops.  Now, my questions are...

Why can I not get any further purple relics past 337 sell value when doing Chaos 5 maps?

I've completed 3 Chaos 5 maps in a row (personal best for me), with NO upgrades dropped?

Is there a way to know that I should or should not replace a blue item with a purple item based on sell price?

I'm hoping there's just one simple thing I'm doing wrong that's preventing me from getting upgrades, but this looting/gearing method has worked well for me through Chaos 1-4, I just find it odd that i've seem to have hit a ceiling as far as progressing goes.....

Any tips or pointing out something I'm doing wrong is appreciated.  

I should link the Excel spreadsheet I've been using as a guide....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PNFslftU37q0KKEY-2EaxasXFpg2wkGr2kcu8UJ1XqQ/htmlview?sle=true

Trendy has acknowledged that the progression past c4 gets slower the farther up you go, and is in general slow. There should be a fix next patch. I have myself hit a couple of flat line games where I would play 3-4 maps without seeing an upgrade. All I can say is next time I logged in I was getting upgrades like normal.

@Steiny quote:

Hey guys - hoping to find a "better" way to sort through gear, to make sure I'm getting the best drops possible.  Hope I'm just doing it wrong....

My gear (squire mule):

Sword - 716 (orange)

Shield - 410 (blue)

Helm - 271 (purple)

Chest - 702 (orange)

Glove - 206 (purple)

Boots - 239 (purple)

Relics (x4) - 504 (orange), 557 (orange), 337 (purple), 337 (purple)

These are the sell prices of the items which, as far as I know, are the goto way of knowing they need to be replaced.  Most of this gear is capped Chaos IV gear, with some pieces from Chaos 5 in there.  I made sure to unequip any relics from my other 3 deck toons that I do not use - to be sure that my squire mule is the one that is "judged" when choosing what drops.  Now, my questions are...

Why can I not get any further purple relics past 337 sell value when doing Chaos 5 maps?

I've completed 3 Chaos 5 maps in a row (personal best for me), with NO upgrades dropped?

Is there a way to know that I should or should not replace a blue item with a purple item based on sell price?

I'm hoping there's just one simple thing I'm doing wrong that's preventing me from getting upgrades, but this looting/gearing method has worked well for me through Chaos 1-4, I just find it odd that i've seem to have hit a ceiling as far as progressing goes.....

Any tips or pointing out something I'm doing wrong is appreciated.  

Your shield is holding you back. As I ve said on an earlier post, it is a good idea to not use a character with weapon/shield as it takes one extra item to drop for you to progress.

Also for me, it is best if you are using this method to progress, to keep one type of rarity so they are immidiatelly comparable. You can put a few coins or medals in upgrades every now and then, to push the loot system to drop more upgrade items.

Also the thing for the squire I say, it is more of a hunch, I haven't done heavy testing to support this.

Update - I switched the above gear and moved it to my Monk, including relics.  Monk has a 716 orange chaos IV max wep.  So, removing the shield (and trading out an orange relic for one that was 50 gold more I forgot I had), my new monk "mule" should be having a much better chance with drops.

I went in and completed 3 chaos V maps in a row.  Nothing changed.  Approx. 11 purple relics dropped - ALL with a sell value of 337.  Also, the above purple gear for armor (boots, gloves, helm) dropped approx 7-8 times.  ALL purple armor pieces that dropped were the same exact sell value....

So - to recap, I increased my "mule" char by essentially removing the shield (weps were the same value) and adding an orange relic with a change of +50 gold value.

So that's 3 runs with mule squire, then 3 more runs with enhanced monk mule.... all yielding ZERO upgrades.  All purple relic drops were the same 337 sell value.

Sooooo..... any other ideas?  This is pretty damn annoying

Why don't you change all the items you have with one rarity as I suggested? You have pretty irregular items 507 legendary with 557 legendery, that is a big difference and also mythics. Stick with one rarity. I suggest epic (blue) since they seem to drop more often.

@specialK quote:

Why don't you change all the items you have with one rarity as I suggested? You have pretty irregular items 507 legendary with 557 legendery, that is a big difference and also mythics. Stick with one rarity. I suggest epic (blue) since they seem to drop more often.

Well, like I said, the 507 legendary I switched with a 557 legendary.  So, dunno.  I'll give the "blue items only" a shot, but it's odd that I've only had to worry about this when I hit C5.

The "how loot works" system has been ironed out quite a bit since beta.  You do not need to have "naked" characters as the character with the highest equipped gear is the only character considered (I have confirmed this since launch). 

I find it very strange that you are receiving 0 upgrades.  If you have switched out the 507 legendary then you should definitely be seeing upgrades.  I recommend restarting the game, I had an issue similar to this in Chaos 3 and restarting fixed it for me.

If this does not resolve your issue, I personally have no other ideas.  Assuming the numbers you have provided are correct, in Chaos 5 you should be receiving upgrades.  I would highly recommend using blues as they are much more numerous in terms of drop rate and will increase your progression by a very significant amount.

I switched to blue items only (minus the orange relics for towers I need in C5), and I am now starting to get some upgrades - seems to have done the trick.  Albeit only + 1-2 gold upgrades per item per victory.  

So, definitely MUCH slower than C1-4 as far as progression speed goes, but better than nothing.  Thanks for the help guys

this should be just writen in caps to every new player pernamently in chat

WEAR BLUE,ALWAYS WEAR THE HIGHER GOLD VALUE DO NOT THINK ABOUT STATS.
IT STOPS GOING UP FOR MORE THAN 3 GAMES,GO TO HIGHER CHAOS DIFFICULTY.

Is it more complicated than this?Not in most cases.
I know legendary items look fancy and all but they mostly drop under your current item level until you hit gold cap for said chaos.