Consoles: Is the Game Dead Already?

I've been playing this game 3-4 hours a day for the past couple of weeks and I noticed how empty it is... Well let me correct myself. Campaign missions are nicely populated with all them low level beginners - but only very few make it to C1, even fewer to C2. Starting C3 and C4 u will see 1-3 games and most of them going to be them leechers with labels like "Carry Me" or "Help" etc etc... and U won't find a single game for C6 or C7, and C5 ... lets say 90% of the time it's empty, and only one u will see there are leeching ones again. So ... literally been soloing C3 and C4 today - bored. Maxed C4 gear but can't solo C5 and spent 3-4 hours today trying to find a team to do C5 with and NOTHING... time waist. Where is this game headed?  

I prefer to play solo, when I've hosted public, the extra people that have joined and boosted enemy numbers have overrun me and they werent able to contribute... so now all my games are private :(

I can't make it through C1 yet, have been running Ramparts Siege/Hard to try and get some better gear.

Still playing from time to time, but its hard when its the same campaign stage over and over as I can't quite make it through C1 yet.

@Zaramortar quote:

it may be the difficulty  that is pushing players away, once you max out gear for a chaos level  the next tier is nearly impossible to play unless you are carried to the point that you can kill enemies at a decent rate. going from maxed gear campaign to  chaos 1 feels like going from master to torment 3 in D3. the jump between difficulties should be half of what it currently is.

I am having a very different experience than you guys. What kind of build's are you using? I went through C1-C2 very easily, C3 was the hardest jump for me, as i used a huntress with PDT's for C1 and C2, so that geode was a new twist for me. Then, after C3 became easy and i was near the top tier for that gear, i went to C4, solo'd it and beat it the first time, which gave me a TON of gear, mostly relics which i desperately needed. I am now farming C4 very easily, working my way up to C5 as we speak. I have been playing very casually, maybe 6-8 hours a week if i'm lucky.

My build for beating C3 and C4 is flame auras with frost towers with frosty power shards, spike blockades, 1 pdt per lane and 1 monk AA tower per air lane, depending on the map. 

-Xbox One player. 

Solo is generally tuned to be easier than Multiplayer.

Assumptions:

• You are interested and enjoy building the map.
  • You spend time understanding map layouts, spawns groups, enemy mechanics/counters, etc.
  • You can optionally also shortcut the above through researching on websites like dd2tools.
  • You get the right shards and tower/defense comps - either through grinding or purchase of shard packs.

Multiplayer is generally easier if you just want to DPS or only build walls or CC defences / repair.

The game has only just released. Most players are funnelled into the Campaign, because:

(a) It's where everyone HAS to start.
(b) It's tuned a lot easier.
(c) After you hit 50, everyone needs to spend time across the campaign to Gear / XP grind.

As time goes on, and as more players venture into chaos trials, you will see more games there (the crashing bugs and loot progression QoL hurdles definitely don't help here either).

@malf quote:

Solo is generally tuned to be easier than Multiplayer.

Assumptions:

• You are interested and enjoy building the map.
  • You spend time understanding map layouts, spawns groups, enemy mechanics/counters, etc.
  • You can optionally also shortcut the above through researching on websites like dd2tools.
  • You get the right shards and tower/defense comps - either through grinding or purchase of shard packs.

Multiplayer is generally easier if you just want to DPS or only build walls or CC defences / repair.

The game has only just released. Most players are funnelled into the Campaign, because:

(a) It's where everyone HAS to start.
(b) It's tuned a lot easier.
(c) After you hit 50, everyone needs to spend time across the campaign to Gear / XP grind.

As time goes on, and as more players venture into chaos trials, you will see more games there (the crashing bugs and loot progression QoL hurdles definitely don't help here either).

I always play solo for several different reasons, many of which you stated above.

I hate putting my trust in people when at least 50% of the maps i join have people failing on the current chaos tier i have on farm. Its taking a big risk to do multiplayer, as after every single match, my game freezers and i need to terminate the application. So failing a game on the first wave due to incompetent teammates becomes a lengthy process. There also doesn't seem to be much incentive to play in groups, as there will generally be that one guy who can't hold a lane and cause you to wipe out of nowhere. There's no reward for taking that chance like there used to be in DD1 (to my knowledge, at least).

For example, i know i can AFK any map on C4, as my blockades/build is decent enough for my to stay on one lane with my hero. However, if i take that build to that same map with 3 additional people, any lane can get steam rolled by the increased difficulty of the hero covering that lane is a goofball. 

I play pubs but I join on whatever difficulty I can find. I usually do not do public C7s because if not enough people join of C7 I get spammed with "plx halp me farm" basically play the game for me. I enjoy playing pubs but I m a bit bored of the building process. So I prefer to join whatever game I can find. Also it is difficult to communicate in consoles because there is no in game chat, for distributing the built within games, ie I take walls, and another guy volunteers to do auras to speed up the build time. You can do it via psn messages on PS4, but you have to exit the application, then go to messages, and then again. People who already max on PS4 due to playing from early stages of Alpha, I think have already set people they play with. So till players reach C7, it is going to take a while. 

Also for many it is harder to complete a game on public than solo, or with a friend they trust. If there were some incentives for people to open up their matches, ie more exp or gold per more players or maybe a few more medals like 30 for full games, maybe people would be inclined to play public, or more loot drops. 

Also another thing is if 3 matches of same tier difficulty are currently going and are of one person each, next game those 3 will be put together in 1 game.

Also the ascension filter not working at the moment is another reason.

All will be fixed.

i can solo up to round 4 on buried bastille on C5, it's the easiest map until the kobolds 1shot my squire blockades. i'm not generally built for solo which may be why the game feels so difficult for me.

@MushaConvoy quote:

I prefer to play solo, when I've hosted public, the extra people that have joined and boosted enemy numbers have overrun me and they werent able to contribute... so now all my games are private :(

I can't make it through C1 yet, have been running Ramparts Siege/Hard to try and get some better gear.

Still playing from time to time, but its hard when its the same campaign stage over and over as I can't quite make it through C1 yet.

Harbringer on Easy will give you lvl 44 items + guaranteed Legendary Chest (Hard lvl 46 guaranteed, sometimes even lvl 50) and Assault of the Throne Room giving good items too for start Chaos I ... Im curious why people playing Assault on the Throne Room, i thought its just split, 2 items dropping in Assault, 2 in Harbringer i talking about Helm, Chest, Hands, Boots .. But its random as quality of end game chest, got once in Assault Legendary Chest ...

@Zaramortar quote:

i can solo up to round 4 on buried bastille on C5, it's the easiest map until the kobolds 1shot my squire blockades. i'm not generally built for solo which may be why the game feels so difficult for me.

Thats how progression work, aslong as you can do wave 3 you can progress gear.

I'm only getting casual playtime as well, but my build has largely been:

• Squire Blockade, all lanes
  • Monk Flame Aura, 3-4 in each lane
  • Monk Lightning Aura, 1 at blockade
  • Monk Sky Tower, 2-3 at crystal

Blockade has a relic with about 1500 health

Flame Aura has a relic with about 1500 crit damage, 500 in the other 3 stats

I'm only about Ascension level 5, usually make it to wave 2 on Chaos1, but that doesn't give me any item drops. I was running Campaign/Harbinger for a while, but items only drop on his death and not during the waves, so went back to Ramparts Siege, nice and easy... in the hope that I can get a couple more relics high enough to help get through and start farming C1.

@MushaConvoy quote:

I'm only about Ascension level 5, usually make it to wave 2 on Chaos1, but that doesn't give me any item drops. I was running Campaign/Harbinger for a while, but items only drop on his death and not during the waves, so went back to Ramparts Siege, nice and easy... in the hope that I can get a couple more relics high enough to help get through and start farming C1.

Each Chaos is wave 1 no bosses, so you getting items epic, mythical, legendary on wave 2 where is boss, in wave 3 are 2 bosses if im right, in wave 4 are 3 bosses and on last wave going boss in each line maybe even more then one, then at the game you are honored with chest, its random chest or it depends how you played or if they attacked your core or control points. Try for equip Assault on Throne Room 4 players or Harbringer Normal or Hard for start.

@Bednycze quote:

@MushaConvoy quote:

Each Chaos is wave 1 no bosses, so you getting items epic, mythical, legendary on wave 2 where is boss, in wave 3 are 2 bosses if im right, in wave 4 are 3 bosses and on last wave going boss in each line maybe even more then one, then at the game you are honored with chest, its random chest or it depends how you played or if they attacked your core or control points. Try for equip Assault on Throne Room 4 players or Harbringer Normal or Hard for start.

1 in wave 2

2 in wave 3, 4

3 in wave 5

@specialK quote:

@Bednycze quote:

@MushaConvoy quote:

1 in wave 2

2 in wave 3, 4

3 in wave 5

On each chaos difficulty?

I don't think the game is dead. A lot of people simply avoid playing public games because of the lack of 'host options'.

@Dreizehn quote:

I don't think the game is dead. A lot of people simply avoid playing public games because of the lack of 'host options'.

But this is a huge problem. Game is designed around online experience - sure u can play solo, but it's originally intended to be played online in multiplayer. That's why Default option when u log in is "Go to Town" and not Tavern. 

@Russian Hammer quote:

@Dreizehn quote:

But this is a huge problem. Game is designed around online experience - sure u can play solo, but it's originally intended to be played online in multiplayer. That's why Default option when u log in is "Go to Town" and not Tavern. 

You are right. In my opinion these features are necessary. They have been suggested  a very long time ago (back when the game went to open alpha). Sadly this has been ignored by the developers. Instead we have received a vote kick option.

@Dreizehn quote:

@Russian Hammer quote:

@Dreizehn quote:

You are right. In my opinion these features are necessary. They have been suggested  a very long time ago (back when the game went to open alpha). Sadly this has been ignored by the developers. Instead we have received a vote kick option.

Yeah voting doesnt work if 2 leechers joining ur match and one of them won't vote, or party of 2-3 ppl. Also, minimum ascension level setting also doesnt work - If i set it on 200 I guarantee you that at least 2 people going to join below assigned min level. I don't know How and Why, but it always happens so I can't even filter out noobs. 

As on solo topic - well I can solo C1-C5... didn't yet try C6 since I'm still not in my full C5 gear and need few shards. And I agree - when you play solo you learn layouts, best placements, build and dps abilities etc, but also when u play solo each chaos is waaaaay easier then with a group. And I honestly enjoy playing multiplayer as long as I don't have to carry any leecher or AFK ppl... But I guess thats that - this game is pretty much solo, coz for weeks C5-C7 available session list is empty except for a few leechers posts "carry me plz"...