Sign in to follow this  
Stankface

Rollers....

So, is it a bug that these rollers don't take damage from half the abilities in the game if they're not on perfectly level ground? Or is this just some extremely stupid mechanic?

@Stankface quote:

So, is it a bug that these rollers don't take damage from half the abilities in the game if they're not on perfectly level ground? Or is this just some extremely stupid mechanic?

It has to be a bug. Like PandynatorDD said, a lot of abilities do not properly hit it but will if angled just right. The "normal damage" hitbox on the roller is very small and needs greatly widened.

Also, I'm a firm believer that more than just the geyser trap should harm these in a substantial way (I feel like it's honestly unintended to begin with). Explosive trap is an obvious one. Earthshatter tower would be another. I wish at the very least the hitbox was the full rear of the machine so I don't have to be perfect/ or stand in melee range with my shots. 

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Lawlta quote:

Are you attacking it from behind?

A lot of abilities don't damage rollers from behind.

For example Concussive shot from huntress.

my poor flamethrower squire also seems to tickle him. but sadly i think this is due to how it functions, just like how auras and traps do no damage to his "special spot".

But its not hard to figure out what does and doesnt work.

@Zimmermann quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Lawlta quote:

Are you attacking it from behind?

A lot of abilities don't damage rollers from behind.

For example Concussive shot from huntress.

my poor flamethrower squire also seems to tickle him.

Shards for ballista don't damage the back part AT ALL. Only triggers on front.

On the other hand, explosions from EV2's death from above decoy or grav bots always hit for me, from almost anywhere (even inside the roller).  

@lekkin007 quote:

On the other hand, explosions from EV2's death from above decoy or grav bots always hit for me, from almost anywhere (even inside the roller).  

That's my prime strategy for an easy roller kill. Run with your EV to Roller's botox and death from above. Explosion is good damage + while in air, EV doesn't take missiles damage.

i have that problem with pole smash when the roller drives up/gets stuck on staiis when his back is a little above the ground in the air

can angle pole smash however i want and  i will never do dmg

when hes on a plain underground it works 100% of the time tho

My experience.

EV2 - DFA - Barely does damage (even when placed right behind the engine)

EV2 - Bombs - These seem to hit the engine 40% of the time?

AL - Does pretty decent damage (lower but steady) and abilities strike 90% of the time UNLESS the roller is at the top of an incline stopped by my wall.  Knight of the Abyss is fantastic combined with Dragoliche.

Monk/Initiate - Key here is to use the skill at the right distance - I know, preaching to the choir.  At the right distance this does amazing damge.

Huntress - Pheonix - Tears the roller apart.

Huntress - Explosive Shots - Tears the roller apart.

Squire - Only his basic attacks ever seem to connect with the engine, anything else misses entirely.

@Kambien quote:

My experience.

EV2 - DFA - Barely does damage (even when placed right behind the engine)

EV2 - Bombs - These seem to hit the engine 40% of the time?

AL - Does pretty decent damage (lower but steady) and abilities strike 90% of the time UNLESS the roller is at the top of an incline stopped by my wall.  Knight of the Abyss is fantastic combined with Dragoliche.

Monk/Initiate - Key here is to use the skill at the right distance - I know, preaching to the choir.  At the right distance this does amazing damge.

Huntress - Pheonix - Tears the roller apart.

Squire - Only his basic attacks ever seem to connect with the engine, anything else misses entirely.

Anti-Grav Bombs do full damage, you just need to stack a bunch of them with some space behind the engine and set off the entire chain. The Oily Bots ignite though doesn't do full.

Monk/Initiate only wrecks the tank because the Harbinger Fist strikes the thing 3 times, but the fist for some reason does 100x damage output. 

The Squire's powers all hit the tank from behind. if you cast it there.

The EV2's Proton Charge doesn't do full damage to the tank even from behind though.

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Kambien quote:

My experience.

Got a video of that? Cause I've tried and it does not do full damage for me.

It absolutely tears them apart,

Find the shard that increases concussive shots by 40% and the additional ability to cast the crystals (cant remember the name of the shard) but rollers take about 2 mil damage easy each time ( im only just breaking into chaos 4 as well so still pretty weak) but they are one of the easiest to kill IMO with huntress

@commandandco quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@Kambien quote:

My experience.

It absolutely tears them apart,

Find the shard that increases concussive shots by 40% and the additional ability to cast the crystals (cant remember the name of the shard) but rollers take about 2 mil damage easy each time ( im only just breaking into chaos 4 as well so still pretty weak) but they are one of the easiest to kill IMO with huntress

I'm not talking about the shard. I'm talking about the ability itself.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Even before i got them both - concussive shots tear them apart - just get right up behind and release = job done 

@commandandco quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

Even before i got them both - concussive shots tear them apart - just get right up behind and release = job done 

Unequip the shard on the next roller and tell me how it goes. Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@commandandco quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

Unequip the shard on the next roller and tell me how it goes. Emoji_GobHuntress.png

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED  ( will post tomorrow with my findings for you :) )

Game trolls and never spawns a roller again......

I'll be waiting for this as well. I can rarely get it to hit for the full amount either, the first couple bombs in the arc are ignored completely even in melee range. Works well on trash mobs however.

You guys are having issues dealing damage with Concussive Shot? I have no idea what to say to try to help you with that. It works perfectly fine for me. Of course you gotta be behind the roller but besides that there is nothing special you need to do. Very strange.

There's certain abilities/defences/shards that do/don't work for certain reasons.

There's a few different methods things have to hit a roller, and how the roller perceives those hits.

There are attacks that hit the enemy directly, think earthshatter tower or aura's. Because they don't hit from a location, but instead hit the enemy directly, they always hit in the exactly centre of the target. Since the weak point is at the back, these will never work.

There's attacks that hit in an instant sphere. Think Ev2's bombs. These work just fine and often from angles that other attacks don't work. This is because these attacks instantly create a sphere around them, and hit everything in that sphere. As long as the weak point of the roller is in that sphere then the weak point takes damage, even if the sphere should have hit some other part of the roller first.

Then you have ground-based attacks that track the terrain. I can't really think of any examples right now, but the way they work is they follow the terrain and stick to it, with very little or sometimes almost no vertical range. These attacks are the reason why you sometimes don't hit a roller when it's going up a hill. Because the roller doesn't tilt forwards/backwards to follow the incline some of it hovers above the ground, when the attack follows the terrain it goes under the roller until it reaches the part of the roller that's touching the ground. If the incline is steep enough that part wont be the weak point, thus no damage.

@PandynatorDD quote:
@Kambien quote:

My experience.

I am taking this coming weekend as a four day weekend, I'll take a video then if thats ok by you to wait until then.

My primary way to deal with rollers is EV2's DFA.  I'll usually toss down a "big boy" bomb prior to activating DFA, does approx 2 mill ish (I'm in C4).  Though I remember not too long ago, Huntresses conc shot worked just fine as well.

Ok so i jumped into game without the shards on....

sure enough it took a little longer ( as i was dealing 40% less damage than i used to and 250% less in ability power shard thing) but it still shredded the roller...

Not entirely sure how people are not doing too well with  it. 

My ability power is about 4.6k - probably a contributing factor of hitting the roller with ability powers.

I would imagine the people struggling have low ability power?