Sign in to follow this  
Danskheart

My thoughts on DD2 - Feedback

So, I've been playing Dungeon Defenders 2 for roughly a week now with a couple friends. We're able to complete Chaos IV trials now, and I thought now would be a good time to give some of my thoughts on the game so far.

The Good:

1. The game seems much more balanced than the first game.  Nothing I've seen so far seems overly powerful or terribly weak.
  2. The system of hero gear / tower gear / shards is an amazing improvement.  It feels much better than any system before it.
  3. I like the Chaos enemies and bosses - they're interesting, but don't feel cheap like the expansion enemies from DD1 did.
  4. Chaos trials are overall a pretty good addition
  5. The graphics look nice, and the game feels smooth
  6. So far, it's pretty fun!

The not as Good:

1. One of the heroes in my deck is the Gun Witch.  She's a bunch of fun to play, but finding out she only has half the ascension options as the other heroes was extremely disappointing.
  2. While shards are a great addition to the game, they feel very unevenly distributed.  I really wanted to get shards for my Dryad towers, but it turns out there aren't any.  The huntress doesn't have many tower shards either.  I think it would be nice if every tower had at least a couple shards.
  3. A bunch of towers feel underwhelming.  It's difficult to imagine hornets being as effective as slimes, or flamethrower towers being effective as earthshatter towers (at least if the dps numbers on the towers are accurate).  That's not to say I think there should be nerfs - more that some towers probably need a buff.
  4. Upgrading items in this game is - frankly - ridiculous.  For how transient having any given item seems to be, the upgrade costs are absurd for what you get out of it.  Especially for items below lvl 50.  There needs to be some form of scaling for upgrade costs.  

Those are my thoughts so far, let me know what you think.

@Danskheart quote:

1. A bunch of towers feel underwhelming.  It's difficult to imagine hornets being as effective as slimes, or flamethrower towers being effective as earthshatter towers (at least if the dps numbers on the towers are accurate).  That's not to say I think there should be nerfs - more that some towers probably need a buff.

Flamethrowers are far better than earthshatter towers, in general. Earthshatters deal more damage because they're single target. Flamethrowers are AoE (and very strong AoE at that). Everything is decently balanced, with the exception of Dryad defences being buggy as crap.

@Danskheart quote:

1. Upgrading items in this game is - frankly - ridiculous.  For how transient having any given item seems to be, the upgrade costs are absurd for what you get out of it.  Especially for items below lvl 50.  There needs to be some form of scaling for upgrade costs.  

Even if upgrading was cheap it wouldn't be worth it until you're in Chaos 7 gear. Gold is simply too hard to come by (hopefully this changes in the future) and upgrades are pretty insignificant (again hopefully something that changes).

Great balanced feedback.

I preferred the old method of upgrading: using items and gold to upgrade items. It was one of those little details that made the game feel a little more engaging to me. That said, I would still like upgrades to feel like upgrades. They are incredibly expensive for what the time limited results they give.

My two cents on the not so good.

1. Gunwitch - This is actually he first negative I have ever heard about it; generally, hear nothing but positives.  In light of the "lesser" ascension pts/levels, how would you recommend she have the same?
  2. Shards - I agree that there are not a lot of amazing shards; however, I am not sure if it is shards that should be updated or added to or the mobs we currently fight against.  Let's take the Geode for instance - would it be better that this enemy unit keep reflecting all ranged/projectile attacks or simply debuff their damage by 90%?  Many more shards would be useful in this aspect, let alone the Huntress herself.
  3. Tower Balance - I don't disagree that some towers do not perform as good as others; however, my flamethrower turrets are amazing (currently at C5 at that).  I haven't even begun building my dryad yet, other than the fact she is 50 and sits in the cards.  
  4. Upgrading - Well I have a simple answer then almost a different answer.  Simple.  Games have sinks and grinds - this is DD2.  In D3 the same sinks and grinds exist, but in different ways (death breath for instance).  Different answer, I actually agree with you that the cost to upgrade seems overpriced for the some times little value we get.  I think the way to fix this would be to allow three daily quests a day instead of just one.  The items themselves are not bad, lower end tiers of items the upgrades count for only 70-100 upgrade points where higher tiers give you 200-400 upgrade points at max - quite the difference.  So I don't know if the sink should be removed or simply give us more to do.

My two cents.

@Kambien quote:

My two cents on the not so good.

1. Gunwitch - This is actually he first negative I have ever heard about it; generally, hear nothing but positives.  In light of the "lesser" ascension pts/levels, how would you recommend she have the same?
  2. Shards - I agree that there are not a lot of amazing shards; however, I am not sure if it is shards that should be updated or added to or the mobs we currently fight against.  Let's take the Geode for instance - would it be better that this enemy unit keep reflecting all ranged/projectile attacks or simply debuff their damage by 90%?  Many more shards would be useful in this aspect, let alone the Huntress herself.
  3. Tower Balance - I don't disagree that some towers do not perform as good as others; however, my flamethrower turrets are amazing (currently at C5 at that).  I haven't even begun building my dryad yet, other than the fact she is 50 and sits in the cards.  
  4. Upgrading - Well I have a simple answer then almost a different answer.  Simple.  Games have sinks and grinds - this is DD2.  In D3 the same sinks and grinds exist, but in different ways (death breath for instance).  Different answer, I actually agree with you that the cost to upgrade seems overpriced for the some times little value we get.  I think the way to fix this would be to allow three daily quests a day instead of just one.  The items themselves are not bad, lower end tiers of items the upgrades count for only 70-100 upgrade points where higher tiers give you 200-400 upgrade points at max - quite the difference.  So I don't know if the sink should be removed or simply give us more to do.

My two cents.

Hmmm.. looks more like 4 cents to me... :-p good feedback tho.

@Danskheart quote:

The game seems much more balanced than the first game.  Nothing I've seen so far seems overly powerful or terribly weak.

A bunch of towers feel underwhelming.  It's difficult to imagine hornets being as effective as slimes, or flamethrower towers being effective as earthshatter towers (at least if the dps numbers on the towers are accurate).

What?

@Danskheart quote:

1. A bunch of towers feel underwhelming.  It's difficult to imagine hornets being as effective as slimes, or flamethrower towers being effective as earthshatter towers (at least if the dps numbers on the towers are accurate).  That's not to say I think there should be nerfs - more that some towers probably need a buff.

Our design team is working on a number of defense buffs, especially for the Dryad. I believe these will begin to come out in our next patch, which we'll talk about very soon!

@iamisom quote:

@Danskheart quote:

Our design team is working on a number of defense buffs, especially for the Dryad. I believe these will begin to come out in our next patch, which we'll talk about very soon!

YAY!!

@iamisom quote:

@Danskheart quote:

I am just now almost to C6, can't wait to be prepped for the next round of challenges.

@iamisom quote:

@Danskheart quote:

Is there an eta on this? or will it be once your ready to impliment it?