Sign in to follow this  
Random Asian

TrendyEnt, please Balance basically everything.

For Random Readers, please respond and critic my personal opinions. I've been collecting dust and thoughts about the game while endlessly watching people adapt to the current Meta. The Game is a huge mess and TrendyEnt is silent about Balancing and/or avoiding it again for the next few months to come. (Edit: Yea I forget to watch devstreams sometimes and don't remember what they say about future plans and such ._.)

Note: Not all of these need to be applied because it would be too drastic a change. Working at it one by one and seeing how well it does is part of the process. Hopefully Trendy leaves a Play-Testing server up where people can test miscellaneous changes.

Edit: Updated some Text for clarification and Typo fix.

1. Please for the love of god DO FREQUENT UPDATES and make balance changes however minor it is.
  2. Shards need to be more accessible and with less restrictions to create more variety. Hero and Tower builds are very, VERY dull.
  3. A lot of Damage Tower's don't have really good shard effects to consider using over the common Crit Build Shards. It is mostly due to Chance-Based Shards not giving good effects. I'm confident some shards like Splody Harpoon and Rippling Explosions could easily be worth using with a DefensePower Scaling increase and 100% Proc Chance. The other issue for some Shards is that they should not scale off of DefensePower but instead scale off of the Atk Dmg Stat. The reason is because it means no matter which tier you upgrade the tower, the Shard's DefensePower-scaling damage won't increase but it definitely will if it is scaling off of the Atk Dmg Stat. Why does no one listen to me about this!!!
  4. Projectile Towers are very hard to use over Auras. Auras are even better in maps even where EMP Orcs, their natural counter, can be found. The issue is that difficulty revolves around higher enemy stat values and spamming more enemies in the wave. Projectile Towers can easily get overwhelmed too quickly and in higher Chaos Tiers the Blockades will get demolished quickly. Placing Projectile Towers behind your Blockades will also usually prevent it from reaching Javelins and Mage units which are a rather huge threat. I know we can try to use a fair balance of Projectiles+Auras but its better to just spam Auras in most scenarios...
  5. Nerf Weapon Manufacture's Aura. Either stop it from stacking the damage or lower the damage and buff the actual weapon pickup for Ev2 to use. Even with the damage values remaining the same I can still beat C7 solo without stacking the Auras and by spreading it throughout the entire lane. Its much more balanced since we can't stack the Auras anymore which is why is really OP because FlameAura can't even do it like that.
  6. PDT is OP. Plz Nerf it Elandrian. You said you toned it down in the Trials Update but you only made it stronger! It is also dealing like 2-3x the dps listed if you build it properly for maximal Dps. (Test on Tavern Dummy and 1 mil Dps at Tier 1 in Chaos 7 gear and about 3 mil Dps at Tier 5)
  7. Fix/Buff Dryad's Towers. World Tree has small hitbox that enemies can easily walk past it and you have to place 2 trees for every 1 blockade that could have been there. Try changing the DU to 20 or giving it a bigger size. Hornet nest is trash tier so maybe let it spawn a total of 3 hornets instead of 2 and let the hornets attack targets already being attacked by another hornet. Slime Pit is too slow and the AoE too small. Harpy's Perch is dealing half the DPS listed and it needs to deal that amount listed to at least be worth using and I also believe it has the issue where its animation is effecting its attack rate like when Skyguard was "bugged" and not dealing enough Dps until you fixed its turning speed to be faster than attack speed. Nimbus is fine where its at but could use some improvements in targeting priority.
  8. 80-100 DU towers are not worth the price if we can't upgrade it to reasonable levels of power. Its not your intention but the way your system is configured regarding this is that these 100 DU towers are only worth using in the beginning of the game then sold off for cheaper DU towers that can be upgraded to stronger dps/utility. The funny thing is that these 100 Du towers are barely strong enough to be viable at Tier 1 because their Tier 5 upgrades is literally a tiny bit stronger. (I used 6 Volcanoes with C7 gear to beat a C5 Map because it doesn't have much Projectile Counters like Geodes but I can barely beat the match and have to do a lot of Hero DPS to deal with enemies banging on my Walls. I had to farm for about 3 months and buy a lot of packs to make this possible and all this effort is trash lol. My efforts were 6 lavamancers with 6 legendary c7 relics fully upgraded and 6 duplicates of 3 different shards to slot into the relics.)
  9. Assassins still too cancerous. Easily dealt with but very annoying if you're well-geared. I recommend making them silence heroes for a limited duration instead of indefinitely until removed. To compensate, try increasing their speed so they can actually chase down a hero instead of relying on random hard to catch teleportation. (Edit: I can easily deal with them using Geysers and Viper's Fang or properly timing my Gunwitch's Ice Needle the moment they teleport onto me. I just find people struggling with Chaos 5 too much and I was there too at a few points)
  10. Siege Rollers are anti-tower but no reason to be anti-hero too. Lower the Hp to about 1/2 or 2/3. (Edit: Not a huge problem for me in fact they're very easy to get rid of. Its just that I can't really get rid of them without resorting to Ev2, Monk, or Gunwitch. )
  11. Buff Unique Weapon Shards aka Incursion Weaponry. They're not really worth using unless the Hero really has nothing better. I'm mostly annoyed with how bad Lunar Portal Staff is but a lot of the other weapons could also be completely ignored which is why they're being ignored. I would be completely fine with this but...they scale up to your highest geared hero and Cost 500 Defender Medals. If we're progressing through Chaos then we would want to upgrade our weapons to get better gear so... the only logical solution to Incursion Weapons is to make them really strong so we buy them to progress easier if we're stuck then dump them when we find better gear. We need better, easier access to obtain to Incursion Weapons early on instead of some of them being locked to higher Chaos Tiers.
  12. Nerf or Remove Berserkers(Red Lady Orcs) because they are a huge problem to balance. They ignore crowd control effects except for a some like Stuns, Taunts, Knockup and Gunwitch's Polymorph thingy. They're really tanky and deal insane damage and will sometimes bug past your walls if you don't place it properly. They're pretty much spammed into almost every Chaos Tier after they're introduced and they force us to use Pure DPS to deal with hence the Crit Builds to get rid of them. The reason we can' really use the viable Crowd Control effects is because they're troublesome to get rid and extremely dangerous if they stockpile because you couldn't kill them quickly. We still have to deal with multiple lanes and other enemy variants but this one takes the cake for ruining games.
  13. Buff Elemental Combo. Bring back reliable and much more accessible ways to use them. We need more variety. The main combo that is super easy to pull off is Oil+Fire=Ignite combo but it should not instantly remove the oil effect but gradually over time because Oil is a very strong slow and its better than the pitiful damage from Ignite is.
  14. Buff/Rework Apprentice. He could be a bit more unique with a quirkier playstyle that revolves on his passive ability. As we know, he already naturally applies Marks to targets he attacks with his Staff and these Marks increase his spell damage and are also required to cast Arcane Volley. He has a Shard "Empowered Mark" which increases max Curse limit to 30 targets and "Mark Targets" which allows ONLY his towers to apply curse marks and only Flamethrower is viable for using it. We could make changes to his other towers and maybe make them apply Curse Mark passively. Earthshatter needs to deal an AoE effect to make it worth the 80 DU Cost. Arcane Barrier needs to deal a bigger blast and stun or CC enemies like lowering their damage. Mark Targets could be usable for Aura's since it would take up a valuable Shard slot anyways and you'd be forced to use Apprentice to maximize it. (Every one's different Curse Marks should be usable by other player Apprentices too especially the ones caused by the Mark Target shard.)
  15. Buff Boost Aura and Buff Beam scaling or lower their costs. Boost Aura at 20 Du is sufficient. Buff Beam at 20 first placement and 10 per additional node is good too. If you're not lowering DU cost then at least double or triple the stat scaling or significantly increase the stat scaling when you upgrade these towers.
  16. Bring back Serenity Healing functionality into Boost Aura passively or as a Shard. World Tree as the only defense for healing is bad.
  17. Nerf Gunwitch's Ice Needle. Bosses shouldn't be able to be perma-frozen. Its actually very easy to do and maintain with proper shards while dealing huge amounts of damage >_>
  18. Shard Drops are in huge mess and doesn't help with progression for beginners. Important shards need to be in the lower Chaos Tiers.

@Random Asian quote:
The Game is a huge mess and TrendyEnt is silent about Balancing and/or avoiding it again for the next few months to come.

This is not actually true.  They talk about it in the Dev Streams, and here is their basic perspective: they don't want to nerf the weapon manufacturer (or any other current towers), but would rather buff the lesser used towers to make them more viable.  I don't think this is a good place for another debate on the weapon manufacturer nerf, since it's pretty much been argued back and forth to death.

Also, about the frequent updates, they do updates somewhat regularly.  Recently they have been swamped trying to catch up to the server stress and the bugs that were produced.  I think we will see more regular new content coming out once we are totally past this initial roadblock.  It is also worth noting that Trendy has committed to keeping the XBox version up to date with the other versions, but it has to go through a check with Microsoft before it can be released, thereby slowing down how often updates can realistically be applied.

About your other points, I agree with some of them, but it's a bit too much text for me to want to dive into the particulars.

more bad players that are whining. jeez

"nerf everything" babyrage "i am so bad, but i blame the game" babyrage.

OMG EVERYTHING IS SO OP BECAUSE IM IN C7 GEAR WAAAAAAAAH no crap pdt is op in c7 gear you fool... EVERYTHING IS OP IN C7 GEAR why not go get gear from the other trials and test things instead of useing c7 gear which has.. oh.. idk.. 21k def power on it? and yes useing auras on orc maps IN CHAOS 7 GEAR is more viable than using towers. instead of ranitng about how everything is broken maybe idk.. take off that c7 gear can go into trials use that trials gear and use the ascension points that people in that trial have. and then come back and tell me how "broken" everything is.

@MentyPlz quote:

OMG EVERYTHING IS SO OP BECAUSE IM IN C7 GEAR WAAAAAAAAH no crap pdt is op in c7 gear you fool... EVERYTHING IS OP IN C7 GEAR why not go get gear from the other trials and test things instead of useing c7 gear which has.. oh.. idk.. 21k def power on it? and yes useing auras on orc maps IN CHAOS 7 GEAR is more viable than using towers. instead of ranitng about how everything is broken maybe idk.. take off that c7 gear can go into trials use that trials gear and use the ascension points that people in that trial have. and then come back and tell me how "broken" everything is.

Uh...not sure why you got that idea but you sound insane. Not everything is OP in c7 gear and I'm not testing the strengths of towers with c7 relic in lower Chaos Tiers unless I'm seeing how pathetic they are. Hey Menty you should give it a try yourself and then come back here because I've been testing this *** for a long ass time before Trials update hit :D

Im sure you have buddy.. im sure you have. Here let me give you the rundown of a person whos been going from c1 to c7. (im in c6 right now)

WM: sucks. theres no use in it in trials outside of farming lesser trials. I tried it with current trial gear and oh boy. unless you have node increase which is a c7 shard or c7 shard pack. this option is just trash flame auras work better.

Auras: With the current trial gear no auras are NOT viable aginst cyborks however works in lesser trials say idk.. c5 gear in a c2 trial.

PDT: Its trash in C1, C3, C4, C6. Shields and geoeds op. Only use for them for me is ainti air. but that i can just use skycannon.

Siege rollers: While annoying, are manageable with monk with stunshard. or gunwitch with ice spike.

So where has this testing been? because your testing vs someone whos had to grind from c1 to c6 and all the stuff you complain about being broken so far hasnt been broken rather just garbage untill you get better gear and go back to a older trial.

@MentyPlz quote:

have to agree with that

@MentyPlz quote:

Well, you know, maybe even us C7 players had to go through lower Chaos tiers? Without 800 Ascension points and 1K relics? We know what Towers need a buff, what Towers could use a nerf and what towers are fine. PDTs have always been OP, even in Chaos 1,2 or 3. Judging by your post you are not C7, but correct me if I am wrong.

@Samoth quote:

more bad players that are whining. jeez

"nerf everything" babyrage "i am so bad, but i blame the game" babyrage.

Yea gave off the wrong vibes. Forgot to mention in the Post that I easily cheese content If I wanted to. In C6/C7 I also tried a lot of alternatives to the META stuff and they barely or don't even work. Its honestly frustrating when you just want to introduce a bit of variety. I guess you just like the dull Crit Build Auras in every C7 match. I guess you also like using Monk and Ev2 to kill Siege Rollers rather than other weaker hero so you have no complaints. If you're not in that that Chaos Tier then shaddup. if you're in that tier then you're pretty chill about the lack of variety and future of this game...

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:

Well, you know, maybe even us C7 players had to go through lower Chaos tiers? Without 800 Ascension points and 1K relics? We know what Towers need a buff, what Towers could use a nerf and what towers are fine. PDTs have always been OP, even in Chaos 1,2 or 3. Judging by your post you are not C7, but correct me if I am wrong.

I've just started doing chaos 6 with asc 180, and I can barely do chaos 5 with double pdts per lane without repairing every wave. (I have the best chaos 5 gear.) So no, it might look op in c7 gear or with an ascension level much higher than what that current tier would require, but it's just about right when you are at the right level with the right gear. As they stated with manufacturers, they should buff the weak ones, not nerf the ones that are actually usable.

@Murdash quote:

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:

I've just started doing chaos 6 with asc 180, and I can barely do chaos 5 with double pdts per lane without repairing every wave. (I have the best chaos 5 gear.) So no, it might look op in c7 gear or with an ascension level much higher than what that current tier would require, but it's just about right when you are at the right level with the right gear. As they stated with manufacturers, they should buff the weak ones, not nerf the ones that are actually usable.

You should stop using two PDTs per lane, thats just a waste of DU. To my knowledge they never did, and still don´t stack. One PDT should be all you use per lane. That should release some DU.

Critical damage stacks for sure.... only poison damage does not. So it can be viable if used properly. For sure Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@MaJean quote:

@Murdash quote:

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:

You should stop using two PDTs per lane, thats just a waste of DU. To my knowledge they never did, and still don´t stack. One PDT should be all you use per lane. That should release some DU.

@MamaTata quote:

Critical damage stacks for sure.... only poison damage does not. So it can be viable if used properly. For sure Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@MaJean quote:

@Murdash quote:

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:

Well ok then I stand corrected. I still think it´s wasting DU though. One PDT, with explosive poison is all that is needed.

@Murdash quote:

@FlightPhoenix718 quote:
-snip-

Just a helpful Tip: Not sure how you play but do not only place your PDT behind your walls in every lane. Its sometimes more beneficial to have PDT facing towards the enemy Spawn so they get poisoned as they walk out and succumb to the poison before they reach your walls. It won't kill everything but it will definitely do much more work because its poisoning different enemies 1 by 1 as they walk out instead of targeting the same tough enemies in front of your blockade.

My personal opinion: Depends how they're going to buff it and have they given any info about that? Weapon Manufacture is literally just dealing pure damage. If they're going to buff tower's damage scaling then its not a good step towards a better game. The entire thing about current endgame chaos tiers is killing everything with pure damage before it reaches your walls.

First PDT is at the mob's entrance, second is farther on the lane, behind the wall to kill the weakened ones that get there with some hp left.

I ran single PDT, Stun cannons, squire barricades, Flame throwers, and Sky guards still having issues doing c5. maxed shards, maxed relics, and upgraded gear for my dps and there was still times i lost. Got to the point of being able to solo it after grinding for 2 days i decided to go into multiplayer and lost alot of them matches. I used auras simply for the geodes and half the time that didn't even work because they would just get stunned. Even following map builds on DD2tools id still sometimes have some issues.  Got to about around ending of c5 gear is when i could just do stupid builds. 5 pdt in each lane with explosive poison and watch as 1 guy explodes and causing a chain reaction. but early to mid c5 nope wasn't happening. Couldn't solo with auras, couldn't solo with just 1 tower, couldn't solo with WM, couldnt solo with flame thrower, couldnt solo with almost anything. But now that im in C6 gear i can go back and do what ever kind of build i want to solo it. since the gear jump is pretty high.

@Murdash quote:

First PDT is at the mob's entrance, second is farther on the lane, behind the wall to kill the weakened ones that get there with some hp left.

Ok, just do your thing bro:P

@MentyPlz quote:

Im sure you have buddy.. im sure you have. Here let me give you the rundown of a person whos been going from c1 to c7. (im in c6 right now)

WM: sucks. theres no use in it in trials outside of farming lesser trials. I tried it with current trial gear and oh boy. unless you have node increase which is a c7 shard or c7 shard pack. this option is just trash flame auras work better.

Auras: With the current trial gear no auras are NOT viable aginst cyborks however works in lesser trials say idk.. c5 gear in a c2 trial.

PDT: Its trash in C1, C3, C4, C6. Shields and geoeds op. Only use for them for me is ainti air. but that i can just use skycannon.

Siege rollers: While annoying, are manageable with monk with stunshard. or gunwitch with ice spike.

So where has this testing been? because your testing vs someone whos had to grind from c1 to c6 and all the stuff you complain about being broken so far hasnt been broken rather just garbage untill you get better gear and go back to a older trial.

WMvsFlamevsFissure: Doesn't require a Legendary Relic for Health Stat or need Ascension to give it HP so it can dish out more dps and easier to find appropriate relics. WM is as strong as a Tier 3 Flame Aura and there isn't enough mana to upgrade every flame aura to Tier 3. WM can also be stacked much more closely together for a more concentrated AoE. Flame Aura has much more potential but only if you had enough mana to upgrade them all. Lavamancer's Fissure is basically better than a Flame Aura if you don't have legendary relics and need ascension for crit chance instead of Defense Health. Downside to Fissures is that it can't reach flying units which is why its not better than Flame Aura for C7.

Auras: Yea forgot I used Flamethrower and Ramster as alternative methods to deal AoE damage to avoid Cybork stuns. Its still possible to get ludicrous range on your Auras and place them away from Cyborks. WM has the smallest potential range, Fissures has the largest range but only by a little bit compared to Flame Aura. Using PDT in maps with Cyborks usually works pretty well since there shouldn't be Geodes and Shield Goblins.

PDT: Its good if you know what you're doing. Placement is key.

Siege Rollers: Have you at least tried alternative tactics with worse heroes for Siege Rollers. I was considering the fact that other Heroes can't deal with Rollers as good as Monk, Ev2, and Gunwitch but I just forget to mention in post.

Great feedback thread! I've shared this with the design team. We're working on defense balance changes, which will hopefully begin to come out in the next patch!

We've been working on balance updates for the upcoming patch. We are still trying to 'bring most defenses up' rather than 'bring most defenses down'.

That does not mean we will not be making changes to specific defenses seeing extremely high utilization on many different Chaos tiers. There are a couple of defenses that we feel are above a 'fair' target, so those will likely be brought down while we bring many, many others up.

Here's a glimpse into what we're testing internally:

1. Projectile Towers - Most of these are seeing substantial improvements. Cannonball Tower, Harpy's Perch, etc. are all seeing relatively huge increases in their stats.
  2. Hornet's Nest - We discovered a massive bug with this defense that was responsible for it's terrible DPS at higher stat ranges. It's fixed. It's damage is pretty solid now.
  3. High DU Defenses - Per other thread discussions, we're bringing down the DU cost (and relative stats) on many of our very underutilized, higher-DU defenses
  4. Slow ATK Rate Defenses - Due to issues with both overkilling and targeting failures, we're reducing (improving) the firing rate of many of the very-slow defenses. Earthshatter, is somewhat of the poster child of both this issue and the High-DU issue, and we wanted to make it viable again outside of being of just being used to proc Shatter combos on Frosty Proton Node. We are insuring we don't make Frosty/Shatter overpowered with this change though, so expect other changes to the Shatter combo for accountability.

That's not the full list of balance changes we're testing internally, but it shows some of our concerns / focus. We're looking mostly at defenses with this patch, and will target other areas as we move forward.

@Trendy Brett quote:
  1. Projectile Towers - Most of these are seeing substantial improvements. Cannonball Tower, Harpy's Perch, etc. are all seeing relatively huge increases in their stats.

Stop the press. You´re buffing Cannonball tower? I´m not complaining, but with the heavy cannonball shard that´s a pretty darn viable tower as is.  

@Trendy Brett quote:

We've been working on balance updates for the upcoming patch. We are still trying to 'bring most defenses up' rather than 'bring most defenses down'.

That does not mean we will not be making changes to specific defenses seeing extremely high utilization on many different Chaos tiers. There are a couple of defenses that we feel are above a 'fair' target, so those will likely be brought down while we bring many, many others up.

Here's a glimpse into what we're testing internally:

2. Hornet's Nest - We discovered a massive bug with this defense that was responsible for it's terrible DPS at higher stat ranges. It's fixed. It's damage is pretty solid now.
  3. High DU Defenses - Per other thread discussions, we're bringing down the DU cost (and relative stats) on many of our very underutilized, higher-DU defenses
  4. Slow ATK Rate Defenses - Due to issues with both overkilling and targeting failures, we're reducing (improving) the firing rate of many of the very-slow defenses. Earthshatter, is somewhat of the poster child of both this issue and the High-DU issue, and we wanted to make it viable again outside of being of just being used to proc Shatter combos on Frosty Proton Node. We are insuring we don't make Frosty/Shatter overpowered with this change though, so expect other changes to the Shatter combo for accountability.

That's not the full list of balance changes we're testing internally, but it shows some of our concerns / focus. We're looking mostly at defenses with this patch, and will target other areas as we move forward.

The feedback is greatly appreciated.

Is Ipwr going to be visibile again in a future update?  I could go on a long rant about the current method of gear progression, but as a band aid it would be nice to have Ipwr visible again so we don't have to check against a spreadsheet everytime we get a new drop with a differing rarity.

I went through the entire Chaos grind already, but I'd prefer to avoid that whenever C8 or a new difficulty is released and I think for newer or more casual players the system is horribly complicated/obscured/frustrating.

Cannon ball tower seems all ready viable due to its shard changes last patch, the rest though are in need of changes.  Though I sure no one will complain if it gets buffed again, just as long as it don't outshine the rest.

@mindlessdefender quote:

Cannon ball tower seems all ready viable due to its shard changes last patch, the rest though are in need of changes.  Though I sure no one will complain if it gets buffed again, just as long as it don't outshine the rest.

One thing kinda funny about this is even if it does a little outshine, it'll still be kinda bad to use because of Geodes. I think it would be nice to give it an advantage over the AOE towers that don't have that problem.