Yes each wave you play with a pet equipped will increase its affection. Feeding it will increase its power once you get to 10,25 and 40 you can evolve the pet using materials that can be collected from mini bosses and end game chests. After the first evolution your pet gains an ability. These are specific to pet types and which type of damage they do.

Their stat boosts are for the hero that equips them

There are premium pets that have specific abilities such as the Dragolich but most others are pretty similar in stature, earth pets can evolve prettyhandy abilities such as Sandstorm 

@Fozzie quote:

Yes each wave you play with a pet equipped will increase its affection. Feeding it will increase its power once you get to 10,25 and 40 you can evolve the pet using materials that can be collected from mini bosses and end game chests. After the first evolution your pet gains an ability. These are specific to pet types and which type of damage they do.

Their stat boosts are for the hero that equips them

There are premium pets that have specific abilities such as the Dragolich but most others are pretty similar in stature, earth pets can evolve prettyhandy abilities such as Sandstorm 

so if i get a pet egg in lets say c5 it will pretty much be the same as the ones I get in c1?

^ if so then how do i know which pet to keep? by there tier? the stats they have when they hatch?

All eggs that drop are random and all dropped pets are effectively the same for stats. Some stats and abilities can be rerolled. Keep the ones you like I would initially keep earth damage pets.