Sign in to follow this  
Hom-Sha-Bom

What do people think of the Shard system these days?

I haven't played much lately but when I was playing I was not a fan of the shard system because it seemed like it basically forced you into making the decision of having effective but uninteresting defenses or having interesting but ineffective defenses.

What I mean by that is stat boosting shards like Destruction, Defensive Critical Damage, Fortification, Deadly Strikes, Defense Rate, Vampiric Empowerment, and Power Transfer make defenses effective, but bland and uninteresting.

Shards like Oily Harpoon, Blazing Phoenix, Earth Toss, etc add more flavor to defenses and make them more interesting, but at the expense of stats making them less effective.

Before anyone feels the need to tell me that shards like Explosive Poison and Stun Fire are effective, I know that. I'm talking about the general trends in shards. I'm not saying that there are literally 0 useful shards outside of the stat bonuses.

What I suggested in the past was having different types of shard slots on relics, so you could use more of those "flavor" shards without sacrificing the "stat" shards. But most people did not agree with that.

I generally like the shard system and the buff to tower specific shards has helped, but not enough for some of them still. I also think shards could use some re-organizing cause often times you run into situations of having absolutely nothing to put into this or that. Like Boots >,>

But I think the concept of the shard system is rather awesome actually. It could just still use some refining.

@Jojozityjo quote:

I generally like the shard system and the buff to tower specific shards has helped, but not enough for some of them still. I also think shards could use some re-organizing cause often times you run into situations of having absolutely nothing to put into this or that. Like Boots >,>

But I think the concept of the shard system is rather awesome actually. It could just still use some refining.

Pretty much this.

Needs some balance passes for sure. But other than that I think it's a good system. It's a bit meh when you are leveling up and having to move shards around all the time, but that's my only gripe with it.

Generally I find the shard system fine at this point.  I think it could use some balancing and such to bring up the tower specific shards to be more competitive to the stat boosting shards, but otherwise it seems well and fine.  I would also note, I have not gotten all the shards as I am working on entering C5 currently, got a set of max blue C4 gear on a toon just wanting to upgrade the relics for the defenses I build before moving to C5.  So generally anything in C7 I do not have, C5 and C6 I have some from the vendor.

I would like to see defense specific shards having more flavour and always being the most powerful shards. While generic shards (crit dmg/destruction/transfer/rate) being more mandatory as "filler" shards. 

The idea would be that a defense specific shard would do something that only that defense could gain from as well as maybe performing the same duty as a generic shard. Example 40% range + chance to oil. Then the defense would get 2 generic shards transfer and rate, effectively making it always better to have a "defense specific" shard in each defense. Defense specific shards would have to be limited to 1 per relic.

I think chance to do "passive" extra damage is mostly boring (flame aura and flame thrower shards), however a chance to do AOE like splody harpoon is fun as are CC effects, burning, oiling or even freezing.

Basically I just want to see "oiling flame auras" on one hand and "Frost fire flame auras" on the other or maybe even "purge evil flame auras".

In all honesty I like the shard system. Needs tweaking of course but I prefer it to the old passive system. Adding a shard bank which could be purchased with gems or DM's would make it better though lol.

100% agree with the points of @Hom-Sha-Bom. Those stat boosting shards are kinda boring. Some of them are too good not to use (Power Transfer, Deadly Strikes). When a generic shard becomes too good it will end up being used for every defense. Good luck farming C3 and C4 guys...

Some of them seems fine because Trendy decided to buff shards like Encroaching Flame and Explosive Arrows. Actually the result is just "more options" which serve the same purpose of increasing DPS by XX%.

Looks like you are mainly discussing about stat boosting shards. Unfortunately because of the title name, people are commenting with the shard system in general :/

The shard system is potentially a really good system. The mandatory shards as people have mentioned tend to use up all slots in most defences. Earth Toss is a great shard given its synergy with SGT, it would be even better as would all the towers that threw stuff in the air if the frost towers did a better job of freezing stuff to allow crushing damage.

Dumping Destruction and Def Crit damage down to 25%, and Power transfer and Vampiric down to 50% whilst adjusting tower specifics up to meet them would help balance.

Trouble is a lot of the new audience would be heavily disadvantaged, it wouldn't matter much to > ascension 420.

They're cool, but some of them are too RNG-ish like empowered flames.

Also, they add too much inventory clutter.

I like the shard system a lot, but as others said here - They stack up too much in inventory and its not fun.. but I like the effects and specialities 

@DoctorTal quote:

I like the shard system a lot, but as others said here - They stack up too much in inventory and its not fun.. but I like the effects and specialities 

they are actually considering a "shard book" much like a spell book concept.

@Zimmermann quote:

@DoctorTal quote:

That would be FANTASTIC!

Now I can't wait for it :P

@Zimmermann quote:

@DoctorTal quote:

Yeah, but how long it will take, and what are we going to do in the meantime is another thing. I will sit in this shadowy corner playing with alt accounts; gotta love how fun re-gearing is through the campaign.

Shard system overall is pretty decent,  My only request is that same shards would stack in inventory.  Given that bag auto sort does not put like shards next to each other and shards share so many graphics, it is a monumental task to see if shards are duplicates.  A shard bank/book will only help if they can stack or put like shards next to each other.

It would also be cool if you could "Roll Up" shards.  For example, sacrifice 5 campaign shards to make a chaos 1 shard.  Sacrifice 5 chaos 1 shards to make a chaos 2 shard, etc.  Maybe have a re-roll option where you can sacrifice 3 chaos 2 shards for another random chaos 2 shard.  Currently I am just overloaded on certain never used shards.

The shard system was one of the changes that got me excited to play again.  That and the changes to relics so you didn't have to build 5 of one hero. The problem I discovered is the RNG. I watched the dev stream and clearly remember hearing the DEVs Blacksmith specifically say they wanted to reduce how much we prayed to RNGesus.  While he was talking about the actual loot drops, it would seem we have not reduced but switched the praying to something new. In fact I think it has gotten worse. I keep hearing that all the shards drop equal and it's just bad luck, but I think that is BS. I keep seeing duplicates in each chaos over and over and I know there are more in each tier because the wiki told me so.

short: sharts itself are nice but a stupit bag waster

better solution -> you have to loot rare special loots e.g. "strange hat of Gobu" or "lost poisoned Sting" and if you loot it first  you get an archievement and with this you can activate "enhanced poison" on Medal for PDT.

Rest archievements are grey and can't be used till you find the other special items all over the trails and incursions.

...and no more bag waste trouble

.....what a dream of quality of life change