Sign in to follow this  
BoomRowsky

Back from 4 month hiatus to see what would be released

The Good:

1. Game seems to run a little more smoothly.

2. Less lag in town/tavern.

3. Towers seem to be a little more equal and balanced.

4. 1 player no longer taking full party back to tavern.

The Bad:

1. Mobs that counter towers.  I know the community is split on this.

2. About 1/10 times loading into/out of games result in an infinite load screen that does not end (Well I waited 10 minutes before CTRL ALT DELETING out of the game)  My rig is far and beyond the recommended specs.  I have verified game cache, reinstalled, and done other general troubleshooting.

3. Inventory management.  I don't have a proposed solution, but managing items in the bags just feels...wrong.  I wish they could just steal inventory management from Diablo 3.

4. Ascension still defeats the purpose of having 1 hero per type.  I am glad I still had 2-3 of each hero from my old playtime.

5. I would rather deal with leechers and noobs getting carried to C7 than the way they implemented loot and chaos progression.  I have loot with higher stats that I have to not wear because lower stat gear helps me get better gear.  This could be because I have old legendary, but when I have to take a 8k DPS hit on flame aura at rank 1 to get better gear something is wrong.  This also does not stop lowbies from joining high tear either as nowhere is gear progression explained unless you do outside research.  FTP games do not attract gamers who do research.

6. I get stuck rollers and stuck ogres in about 1/3 games.

7. In about 1/10 games everyone will ready up and the game will just sit there and never begin causing everyone to have to disconnect and ruin their trials combo streak.

8.  Why can we not pick the trials map we want to run?  Why not have all maps in all trials?

9. Still no host controls to kick toxic/AFK players.  I just do not understand this one in a multiplayer game.  Is Trump a developer here?

10. Endless mode should have been a priority over trials.  Endless is end game, not Chaos tears.  It is much easier to balance endless mode than an unscalable chaos tier.

I came back because I want to enjoy this game.  But as you see above, the scales lean towards unfinished game.  Trendy, this game has the potential to scratch all of my gaming itches, but instead it gives me hives.  Maybe another 4 month break will yield better results....maybe.

@BoomRowsky quote:

1. Mobs that counter towers.  I know the community is split on this.

2. About 1/10 times loading into/out of games result in an infinite load screen that does not end (Well I waited 10 minutes before CTRL ALT DELETING out of the game)  My rig is far and beyond the recommended specs.  I have verified game cache, reinstalled, and done other general troubleshooting.

3. Inventory management.  I don't have a proposed solution, but managing items in the bags just feels...wrong.  I wish they could just steal inventory management from Diablo 3.

4. Ascension still defeats the purpose of having 1 hero per type.  I am glad I still had 2-3 of each hero from my old playtime.

5. I would rather deal with leechers and noobs getting carried to C7 than the way they implemented loot and chaos progression.  I have loot with higher stats that I have to not wear because lower stat gear helps me get better gear.  This could be because I have old legendary, but when I have to take a 8k DPS hit on flame aura at rank 1 to get better gear something is wrong.  This also does not stop lowbies from joining high tear either as nowhere is gear progression explained unless you do outside research.  FTP games do not attract gamers who do research.

6. I get stuck rollers and stuck ogres in about 1/3 games.

7. In about 1/10 games everyone will ready up and the game will just sit there and never begin causing everyone to have to disconnect and ruin their trials combo streak.

8.  Why can we not pick the trials map we want to run?  Why not have all maps in all trials?

9. Still no host controls to kick toxic/AFK players.  I just do not understand this one in a multiplayer game.  Is Trump a developer here?

10. Endless mode should have been a priority over trials.  Endless is end game, not Chaos tears.  It is much easier to balance endless mode than an unscalable chaos tier.

I came back because I want to enjoy this game.  But as you see above, the scales lean towards unfinished game.  Trendy, this game has the potential to scratch all of my gaming itches, but instead it gives me hives.  Maybe another 4 month break will yield better results....maybe.

My two cents.

1. This is a TD game.  How or why would mobs not counter them?
2. This is a known issue.  The current work around is to go to the private tavern instead.
3. It does feel clunky.  Not enough individual icons for the shards either, they are working on this.
4. Ascension doesn't defeat this actually.  The "belt" with relics enables this and ascension, a little clunky, works well.  
5. Not sure I understand this.  Someone else may have a good answer.
6. Rollers - Monk Slam is amazing.  Ogres - Just have a DPS character (EV2s are major dmg and can save your defenses)
7. I have never experienced this actually.
8. This has been requested.
9. Been a discussion for some time.
10. Endless really isn't end game to a lot of people.  So they have to meet the needs of many.

I think you should come back around in 2-3 weeks, see what they have done with launch and post launch.

TC!

i love your views BoomRowsky.

The chaos trials stripping away our choices of what we can play is a major issue.

The lack of map choice makes the game get boring really quick.

The hard-counters, this is only split in the community cause of 2 things. 

1. Some people seem to think Hard-Counter is refering to ALL the mobs. It does now, there is only 3 actual Hard-Counter mobs. The rest are just game changers and are of actual good design.

2. They have yet to realize how Hard-Counters take away your choices and yet to feel the mind numbing boredum of being forced to use the same few towers over and over and over when we have SOO many others at our disposal that we cant use.

There is never suppose to be Hard-Counters in a game like this, it is outright the dumbest thing that can ever be done. Dont give us choices and then take them away. Give us counters, like assassin, hex throwers, zerker orc. Those are amazing mobs that dont "Hard-Counter" anything, they are just strong against this or that without rendering this or that completely useless for them and every one around them.

The true Hard-Counters, which are Vanguard, EMP Orc, and Geode, (in order from least to most hard-countery) need to be replaced with new mobs, mobs that function similar to the other chaos monsters in the fact that, we CAN use any tower we want, but they make it harder on some towers than others. Instead of making some towers 100% useless.

as for your #5

Yeah the loot system is really botched up. Basically old gear cant be read by the new system properly to the point your best, and probably only bet, is to go to campaign hard, farm gear for your chars till you replace all your old gear. You might get lucky and be able to get top notch gear in a higher difficulty which will help save time. There is charts you can use to see how high gear goes in each difficulty. I use this ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YCxLR_EoWDtWcNu9giffrOwhovc_5A_gUlr7FdAd8Dk/pubhtml

The gold price is basically the ipwr of the gear and determiens how strong it is. That shows the top gear in each difficulty, when you get that value, you can assuredly move on to the next tier.

@Jojozityjo quote:

There is never suppose to be Hard-Counters in a game like this

Honestly, hard counters don't belong in pretty much any game. What's the point in giving people a platform of strategy and skill when in the end it all comes down to "lol no sorry ignore 90% of the things in the game you must use this". It's the sort of thing that sounds much better in theory than it is in practice. 

Certain things in this game are pretty well designed. Having enemies that force you into only using a certain set of defences are definitely not one of those well designed things. 

totally agree, and any player will eventually come to see it. Sure they make think it's cool, that it forces you to use new towers. But eventually they come to see it's boring as you can only do certain things when there is so many other things in the game you could be trying but cant, and move on to some better game.

I agree with your points as well.

Hard-counters really don't belong in this game, and are just bad game design. A much better solution would be to make them have better resistances to various traps/towers/auras than normal enemies. Forcing design layout changes rather than forcing tower choices. Outright immunity or complete shut down of various traps/towers/auras limits the player's choices and pigeon holes the strategy/design. There will always be a "best setup" for each map / difficulty when you break it down, however, outright denying choice just isn't a good design and I feel is counter-intuitive to the whole game's purpose. Seeing people's unique designs or layouts is part of what makes multiplayer fun for me, and I imagine others as well. Hard-counters directly ruin this aspect.

Hopefully Trendy realizes that small changes are what we need to make the hard-counter mobs less restricting and more enjoyable to play with. Obviously the way they exist now is doesn't make the game impossible or overly challenging but I sympathize with those who want to use a certain defense because they personally like it or like variety and cannot use it because emergent gameplay. On the other hand we don't need them to be pushovers either. They just don't need to outright delete/disable defenses. At least not so easily. That's the issue.

Arriving in higher Chaos it now makes much more sense on the "hard-counters".  I have read several posts on ideas on how to adapt to them which make sense.  Perhaps a little bit more of options to us rather than a set "in your face wall".

@Plasma quote:

Hopefully Trendy realizes that small changes are what we need to make the hard-counter mobs less restricting and more enjoyable to play with. Obviously the way they exist now is doesn't make the game impossible or overly challenging but I sympathize with those who want to use a certain defense because they personally like it or like variety and cannot use it because emergent gameplay. On the other hand we don't need them to be pushovers either. They just don't need to outright delete/disable defenses. At least not so easily. That's the issue.

I would like the 3 Hard-Counters made to be actually challenging honestly. As they are now, they are nothing more than mindless cannon fodder that walks down the lane like any goblin or boar or orc. They just happen to also make you unable to use specific towers, but dont use those towers and they are just .. pfft, cannon fodder, there's no threat, no need to pay attention when they come out. You dont fret when you see boars coming out, i dont for the hard-counters either, just so long as i use the non-countered towers.

Least with mobs like hexers, zerkers, assassins, Kobolts, I feel like I gotta watch and be aware any time they come out, even if i am using the best towers to handle those guys, I always feel like I have to watch and make sure there isnt going to be one that just wrecks the whole defense line lol

But hey, at this point, i dont care what happens to the Hard-Counters, long as they lose their "Hard-Counter" effect. Im so tired of building the same few things over and over. I want the use of my towers back so i can get creative again. And heroes, rather sucks playing Huntress right now in the game for me, and shes one of my favs.

@BoomRowsky quote:

Indeed.

Maybe with the score system and future leader boards we can see this happen.

In the mean time I look forward to the return of Incursions for something else to do. 

@Jojozityjo quote:

I would like the 3 Hard-Counters made to be actually challenging honestly. As they are now, they are nothing more than mindless cannon fodder that walks down the lane like any goblin or boar or orc. They just happen to also make you unable to use specific towers, but dont use those towers and they are just .. pfft, cannon fodder, there's no threat, no need to pay attention when they come out. You dont fret when you see boars coming out, i dont for the hard-counters either, just so long as i use the non-countered towers.

Least with mobs like hexers, zerkers, assassins, Kobolts, I feel like I gotta watch and be aware any time they come out, even if i am using the best towers to handle those guys, I always feel like I have to watch and make sure there isnt going to be one that just wrecks the whole defense line lol

But hey, at this point, i dont care what happens to the Hard-Counters, long as they lose their "Hard-Counter" effect. Im so tired of building the same few things over and over. I want the use of my towers back so i can get creative again. And heroes, rather sucks playing Huntress right now in the game for me, and shes one of my favs.

True enough. I personally find kobolts and hex throwers non-threatening as long as you don't build close to spawn. Kobolts aggoring immediately after leaving spawn makes things needlessly more difficult when you can build slightly further back and have more time before they aggro onto something. Same thing with hexes. If they have to walk a bit before seeing a wall they usually get killed by my stuff before having the chance to toss javelins.

Kobolts are an example of a decent hard counter mob. They can disable a ton of defenses just like Cyborks can but they aren't as oppressive because you can deal with them in many ways even with the stuff they counter. The worst example is the Geodes who can randomly nuke entire lines of towers and even make you lose the game outright due to a lucky reflect. When I think about it you can technically still use auras in the presence of Cyborks if you got good DPS but you cannot do that with Geodes. They just block all projectiles.

Kobolts are borderlining the Hard-Counter title. They effect stops any tower though, but they dont just up and keep it disabled, it's only if you dont deal with them fast enough. Unlike their ocish counterparts who can just keep re-doing their disable over and over and arent as easy to kill off before they reach the things they disable because they usually come in with a swarm of every other mob around them, so our 8target capped aoe towers and the like cant reliably slice them down every time.

Kobolts though, they have to kill themselves to do their thing, and are typically easier to deal with cause you have things like skyguards which can specifically mow them down, or put out decoys like some people do with totem equipped frost towers, or smart wall placement to keep them from hitting anything important, etc lol

They are dangerously close to Hard-Counter title, but, thankfully, not quite there. Long as trendy doesnt go buffing them in any way, shape, or form lol

That said, I kinda, KINDA, believe they could still use a nerf. Like with their speed while triggered, or explosion radius, that poor sub-ob on the town map, the one path where the second they leave spawn, they trigger on that sub-ob, even when walled up, sometimes they will snake through, or if Zapper spawns in that lane, it's bye-bye sub-ob, period lol