Sign in to follow this  
EraChanZ

An IMPORTANT issue with the current game! ~ Multiplayer aspect

I've recently picked up the game again after quite a long break, and even though a lot of the changes take time getting used to, and even though I would change a few things here and there.. there is one ISSUE with the game, which I feel is CRUCIAL to get fixed before the launch!

The issue: Multiplayer.

What do I mean with this: Right now, if you play a given map, you have X amount of spots to build with, you gain X amount of building points to spend on those buildings, and you get X amount of drops/rewards for finishing the map. This is all fine.

However, when a 2nd (or 3rd/4th) player joins, the maximum building spots doesn't increase, the amount of building points to spend doesn't increase, and the drops/rewards for a map do not change at all. However, per player that joins, all monsters get quite a significant boost in HP. (I don't know the exact number, but it's somewhere between 50 and 75% extra HP  per player.

The issue I have with this is that currently you are being PUNISHED if you want to play with friends. The maps at certain difficulties get significantly more difficult to deal wtih properly, and you gain nothing in exchange for that.

As an example, and i'm sure many people can find themselves in this example; if you just got into Chaos 3 difficulty, and you're able to solo clear it quite reliable. Once another player (friend, or a random) joins up; all the monsters gain X% extra HP, and suddenly they are dying slower, they will reach your walls faster (or they won't at all, when you're solo); they'll start crushing your defences.. Bosses suddenly won't die as quick, can no longer deal with that.. You end up losing. This does not make sense, if there is no extra reward for it!

Why is it like this? Why is the game made significantly harder when playing with friends, yet you get no significant (or any at all??) reward?  If this is intended as a multiplayer game, you should be rewarding people for playing together, and at the very least certainly not punish them!

My personal suggestion would be to significantly improve the rewards gained while playing with players, to 'make up' for the game becoming so much harder. This can be done by +x% more exp, +x% more gold, and perhaps most importantly, by giving higher chance at higher tier gear (purples / legendaries). Heck, perhaps even increase the range of item levels you can find! (Since progression is much slower when playing together: 4 players playing on Chaos 1, will still have a fairly hard time managing it even if they are already on max Chaos 1 gear; and moving on to chaos 2 with those 4 players will be very VERY hard, whereas every individual player at that point should easily be able to solo chaos 2... What i'm saying is that 4 player Chaos 1 should drop higher max-level rewards than 1 player chaos 1; or probably even than 1 player chaos 2, based on how much more difficult it is with 4!)

Now i'm not 100% sure if there isn't already some tiny extra reward for this, but it certainly aint noticable, whereas the difficulty is.

If the extra rewards is not something that you guys want implemented in your game, then at the very least I would significally lower the % Health increase monstres get per extra player. As the only thing an extra player adds, is some extra hero damage. 

EDIT: As a game, you should be PROMOTING people playing together. This will create community, generally speaking more fun, and the chance for players to meet eachother. 

They certainly need to make multiplayer more appealing. As it stands there is very little reason for public matches unless you are over-geared for the level and just want to speed farm gold/medals and able to carry the other 3 players. I preferred DD1s thought of just increasing mobs (which in turn increased drops) and made it fun to play together. I would rather they just increase the amount of mobs/bosses than increase the HP they way they do. It should be possible for people to play together when geared for that level not have to have a builder some 3+more tiers above eg 4 ppl in c3 gear should be able to finish c3 map not need a builder in c6-c7 gear just to finish the maps consitantly. This makes even less sense the way it is with xp  now making it even less appealing to play in lower tiers as you gain levels. As it stands not only is it extremely difficult to play multi-player it actively punishes high end players to go back and help newer ones. 

@dizzydiana quote:

They certainly need to make multiplayer more appealing. As it stands there is very little reason for public matches unless you are over-geared for the level and just want to speed farm gold/medals and able to carry the other 3 players. I preferred DD1s thought of just increasing mobs (which in turn increased drops) and made it fun to play together. I would rather they just increase the amount of mobs/bosses than increase the HP they way they do. It should be possible for people to play together when geared for that level not have to have a builder some 3+more tiers above eg 4 ppl in c3 gear should be able to finish c3 map not need a builder in c6-c7 gear just to finish the maps consitantly. This makes even less sense the way it is with xp  now making it even less appealing to play in lower tiers as you gain levels. As it stands not only is it extremely difficult to play multi-player it actively punishes high end players to go back and help newer ones. 

I'm glad more people agree, can only hope that they will read this and actually realize what kind of deal-breaker this could be for potentional new (and old) players.

Yea atm moment trendy want it to be a carry game, some might enjoy showing off their powerful defense and gear but those want some actual multiplayer gameplay won't really enjoy it. 

I've said just about the same thing a little while back.  Multiplayer was one of the big things that attracted me to DD1 as I could play it with my G/F and learn the game and have fun.  We both went over 1000 hours in DD1 and were making tons of friends in some of the late game content.  In DD2 however we just play in private games with the two of us, we aren't fully geared C7 players (currently working through C4) and it is a really rough time trying to break into the next chaos tier with just two of us.  We can't play with other people because we can not handle it.  That is opposite of the way we were with DD1, we played in public games all the time and ran with random people in almost every game. 

In short, I agree they really need to do something about the multiplayer.  Add more creatures if you want, that was fun imo and increased the amount of loot in the long run.  Don't increase mob health or damage per player, that just pushes players to play by themselves and not with others.

Agree with Op and DizzyD more players more mobs, not mobs with more HP.

More mini bosses, more gold and loot.

If we got those for multiplayer games everyone would run them as soon as they were capable of doing so.

I run / go into public games when I get bored of solo despite the reduction in rewards due to the over-inflated time it takes to finish maps. I would prefer to see more mobs and not more HP; you should be fighting numbers with numbers.

I think, the best way it to spawn more special enemys, that need players attention. 

In DD1 you could call your friend for help, now you kick your friend for help =D

Increase HP is the worst way possible to balance addtitonal players, it is said (sad) that most % of mobs are killed by towers, since more players doesn't make your towers more powerful, it gets much harder. Yes, players kill mobs, but sometimes you need to help on other lanes, and your lane get destroyed with more powerful mobs.. 

One of the issues I suffer as maybe others do is both me and my son play DD2, and we want to progress together. For it to be possible for us to play together the towers need to be considerably stronger than if i was to play solo. Since he does not wish to build and likes to DPS he is stuck with waiting until I can build appropriately where I can build for both of us or trying to find a public match in our tier to play on (which is rarer than haleys comet). While it is unrewarding to play multiplayer(no extra bonuses etc) and the increase in difficulty turns many players completley off doing so It has now got to the point where my son simply refuses to play at all and I am sure he is not alone. If they increased the frequency of Ogres, seige rolers etc(so more loot)  and mob amounts (so more xp/gold) there would be an actual GOOD reason to play multiplayer. I like running lower tiers maps so I can HELP others but it is totally unrewarding for me other than a way to farm DM, where is the incentive to go back and help others struggling? If you are at the current tier gear wise its virtually impossible to host a public game as you progress through to C7. I like many others play online games to make friends and play together but the current set up virtually forces me to play solo why??? In my case I rely on MMOs for social interaction as I am housebound and secluded with little outside contact, so to play a game where I am forced into playing solo quickly makes me quit. I realise my situation is not common and I dont expect games to cater to me, BUT if its supposed to be a multiplayer game it should encourage not discourage playing with others.

The theory of it makes sense (more players = more people doing DPS so mobs have higher HP) but put into practice it sucks. Sometimes I host a public game when I'm bored and it's a dreadful experience through and through. I think lots of changes need to be made to multiplayer.

If there aren't people trolling and force-starting the game before I even manage to build, there's lazy people that wont hit G every round or upgrade/DPS. Spending more time just waiting for round countdowns than it takes me to do a full solo run isn't fun, and that's without factoring in that the actual multiplayer run itself takes longer than solo due to the mob health. And all of this for what, absolutely no increased reward? No thanks, Trendy.