Sign in to follow this  
Bogdanov89

Fresh lvl50s - Hero Damage or Ability Power?

I am an old DD1 player but i have not played DD2 in a VERY LONG time.

Today i installed DD2 again and i am looking at all the changes and new stats on my lvl50 characters (trash gear).

Since i am a fan of "DPS-ing" as a Hero during a wave, killing enemies myself, should i go for Hero Damage or Ability Power?

I guess ideally i want to have both but since that is not always the option i wanted to know is there a "universally better" choice between the two?

Most abilities seem to do a lot of damage but the cooldown and mana limitations make me think that constant auto-attacking could be much more significant?

Also i notice some weapons have additional "elemental" damage like Water or Earth but it seems really minor and it seems to even be spread out among all targets hit - so it seems really irrelevant and pointless?

Thank you for helping me and explaining :)

Here are two monks one ability power, one hero damage.

Sadly you will not have access to a lot of the shards, and some are just not obtainable (I got them early before they removed them with the loot update). However you can still make the builds work with just a few of the shards included.

• Ability Power Pole Smash Monk, this is an old guide (pre 3 slot armour/Ascension change) but it can still be adapted to the current state of the game: Ability Power Monk
  • Hero Damage Ranged Monk, this is an up to date guide: Ranged Hero Damage Monk

Hope this helps.

From my experience( I am just getting into c5 now) ability power is the way to go, there are shards you gain that reduce cooldowns and give you more mana, to the point where you don't get starved very easily unless you are constantly spamming.

I'd say start with AP, then go HD as you get more shards. If you have an EV2 hero, her #3 ability and her grav bots are super strong. If you can get a McDoogers Rapid Shooter (Mega Buster) or a Meg Manus Projector Canister (X Buster, then auto attacking with EV2 will do a lot of Dmg, both of those canisters are  somewhat rare, but can be found in all maos in all Chaos.

If you have a mystic, go full on AP and throw the call to madness around all over the place. :-)

If you have just the original 4 heroes, follow [[150185,users]]'s guides about the monk.

If you have invested in crit chance, crit damage is sweet. I was always in favor of hero damage, but once a did replace my HD gear with CD gear and I was really surprised using my Huntress. This is kinda old info 'cos with new legendary loot you will get them all, but it still applies for myth gear.

@mmaakk quote:

If you have invested in crit chance, crit damage is sweet. I was always in favor of hero damage, but once a did replace my HD gear with CD gear and I was really surprised using my Huntress. This is kinda old info 'cos with new legendary loot you will get them all, but it still applies for myth gear.

Crit damage is great, but you need to get close to 60 ascension levels if you plan on using it so you can increase the hero crit chance. At the base %, you will do much better going AP or HD instead. You can't even get Critical Strike shard until you can clear Chaos 1, so.... yeah.

If you want to build a DPS tower with that DPS (ie like an AP monk who also builds fire auras), you really need 120 ascension levels before you can be at all effective.

I am hoping Trendy looks at the current state of hero crit chance and tower crit chance, and removes those Ascension points and instead pushes those numbers into the shard. Between crit chance and the gambits, newer players have a huge handicap unless they decide they want to grind out 210 levels (270 for split builder/DPS chars).

It is the exact inverse of how most people want games to work - the game is just brutal for people trying to break in but then way too easy for anyone who has hundreds of levels and knows the right shards to use. If you don't want that much of a challenge, you will quit, but if you want that much of a challenge and will grind for it, you can beat it and then be bored that there is no challenge left.