Sign in to follow this  
Gashen-Sai

Coming back from a long absence...

What is the current play state of the game? It's been almost two years or more since I've sat down and played. 

1:How is loot grind?

2: What do the current build metas look like? When I played it was monk auras and walls with cannons.

3: How does the current mix of dps/towers look right now? I had a seperate dps and builder for each class. 

4: Trading?

5: Server stability? 

@Gashen-Sai quote:

What is the current play state of the game? It's been almost two years or more since I've sat down and played. 

2: What do the current build metas look like? When I played it was monk auras and walls with cannons.

3: How does the current mix of dps/towers look right now? I had a seperate dps and builder for each class. 

1.better but it still  grind.whole point of the game.

2. meta is base on chaos mode (just new name from nightmare) 

3. it  very mix compare to 2 years ago. 

4. they never add trading, if they do it mostly likey be shards for shards

5. 95% good some hick-ups every now  and than. 

@Gashen-Sai quote:

1) When it comes to gear stats, the grind is about as good/bad as it was before. Shards feel totally awful to grind for when it comes down to it, though. I'd say it's overall worse UNLESS you are somebody insane who went grinding for 750s, then it's probably the same/a little better.

2) There is practically a different meta for every single chaos tier. When you get to endgame, however, there are probably 1 or 2 builds that are the most efficient and using any other build is extremely polarizing. It's either going to be a struggle or impossible because of mobs that hard-counter defenses. There are also 2 towers that are blatantly stronger than other towers - The (Apprentice) Flamethrower Tower and the Ramster (Dreadlord) Tower because they don't have a hard counter, unlike the other towers in the game.

3) Above for most of this question. I don't know much about DPSers, I just use whatever I find fun at the time and it seems to work.

4) Nah. Seems pointless to do at this point, too, seeing their direction with the game.

5) I rubber-banded quite a bit last time I played, making it quite frustrating. I haven't been DCed or anything like that in a while, though.

Edit: In my opinion, it hasn't exactly improved much... no no no, I feel it took steps backwards in development since you left it. And to be honest, it took an even further step back in it's removal of Onslaught and removal of incursion usefulness.

After this Tuesday, it should be a more fun game for a returning player. Since the Trials update, I've had 100s of hours of fun with it, but obviously there are always bugs and issues - lot's of those issues being stamped out next week.
It is important to not do what I do, and compare it to DD1 too much, enjoy it for what it is and stay away from public play unless you have some friends. Scaling is a tad rough but unskilled players are the killer in lower difficulties.

The grind is good, should be more intuitive and exciting come next week. One issue is the limitation of maps in each difficulty (since trials are basically randomized from a tiny pool of 4-5 maps). This makes the game feel a bit stale once you reach the last difficulty, but will be rectified eventually and isn't an issue for a returning player, at least it wasnt for me till I got to the current 'endgame'.

TO SUMMARISE: Acknowledge the game has issues and is in Early access but embrace that it is changing often and is affected greatly by the playerbase. You will have a lot of fun with the game, just don't burn out, it's the kind of game you can keep coming back to, to see what has changed and how it has progressed. Because it is always progressing.

@Gashen-Sai quote:

1. Once you finally learn how loot generation works and how to weight the odds in your favor, it's far, far better than it used to be. The coming update is supposed to make this simpler and more intuitive.

2. The meta is different in each Chaos tier, but 1-3 of your favorite wall paired with 1 Frosty/Snaking sands and either Flame Auras, Flamethrowers, or Ramsters will get you through the majority of the Chaos tiers. However, C6 and C7 will require you to use either special defense placement or swapping some defenses out for alternative defenses.

3. If you're not looking to min-max, then it's fine to go hybrid, having just a single hero for all your needs so long as you max out both the hero and defense crit chance Ascension talents. If you are wanting to min-max, then you need to separate out hero slots for a DPS and then one of each defense for that hero. Either will work. You don't need to min-max to beat the content.

4. Trendy has said explicitly that this won't be happening.

5. It's acceptable in most cases, but there are matchmaking bugs you should be aware of before you try playing with others.