Sign in to follow this  
mecra

Was Split Snakes OP?

So they nerfed them, but I haven't heard of a single person using them. Reading the new description, I'll just stick with WMs and auras. :/

I messed around with using them to handle bosses somewhat but since split viper already took away the damage growing aspect of the tower I had no interest in the shard.  Their targeting is a bit too inconsistent to use for trash cleaning (which is what that shard is generally intended for) but I suppose if you had a bunch they could make due.

Not really as you have to sacrifice a dmg shard to allow them to split.  The tower was good but not OP, when compared to other towers like Flame aura and such.  Also where is the update notes?

I tested it out they nerfed the base dmg not the crit... so yah crit being main source of damage of towers this change was not much of a nerf.  So they still really good to use.

Honestly it came out of left field as far as I'm concerned.  I didn't really know of anyone using them.  I wont really try now because of the nerf.  I didn't like the shard to begin with so now I have even less incentive to use it.  At the state the game is in, I don't think nerfing towers is the right move atm.  If anything, there are a lot of defenses that need some significant buffs.

I used them in C5 to help kill air when SGs where bugged(even made a whole new mystic just for split vipers). I tried to make them work for general use but other towers are just better. I have no idea why it got nerfed.

It scales horrible with hp. Its range got nerfed with the "range" fix patch. You waste 20-30% dps + no dmg ramp up to use the split shard. And yet trendy decides to nerf it out of the blue lol.

Dare i say: "Herp Derp! ..."

Snakes were one of the more usable defense on all chaos levels, but it was nowhere near the level of being OP. I've tried to make it work, but never managed to do so in an OP way. I have used it extensively since the trials update, but I only did because I personally liked the snakes, not due to its effectiveness.

Its DPS isn't even any better than the flame aura and that's only on three targets. In most cases, you'd be better off just spamming an extra aura on that lane. I am really confused as to why Trendy felt the need to nerf the snakes.

@Pegazul quote:

I used them in C5 to help kill air when SGs where bugged(even made a whole new mystic just for split vipers). I tried to make them work for general use but other towers are just better. I have no idea why it got nerfed.

It scales horrible with hp. Its range got nerfed with the "range" fix patch. You waste 20-30% dps + no dmg ramp up to use the split shard. And yet trendy decides to nerf it out of the blue lol.

I mean, they did nerf Lunar Portal at the same time as Ghostly Halberds. Saying that those were just slipping under the radar because how much better Ghostly Halberds was. But, they did like 15k dmg single target, and couldn't stack, with close to perfect NM4 gear, lol.

Meanwhile WM's, FA's, multiple stacking HD buffs on monk(and others), fiery brimstone(full crit dmg to all proj.), "OP EV2 DPS" to mention some, are wreaking havoc.

Not sure what numbers TE look at when they decide to nerf something. But it cannot be the "meta" for sure.

I messed around with it a little, never saw any OP DPS from non crit hits on split vipers, not sure why the additional nerf was necessary.

I can only assume nerfs like this to power (non crit specifically) are in preparation for a future update that balances out crit and buffs power. Because the disparity between the two right now is ridiculous. The only towers that I know of that can really benefit from power is a HP/SPD medallion PDT and maybe the Snaking Sands Stun effect.
The rest seem to accept crit as their Lord and Savior 

@[UMF] Filthylopez quote:

I can only assume nerfs like this to power (non crit specifically) are in preparation for a future update that balances out crit and buffs power. Because the disparity between the two right now is ridiculous. The only towers that I know of that can really benefit from power is a HP/SPD medallion PDT and maybe the Snaking Sands Stun effect.
The rest seem to accept crit as their Lord and Savior 

Or, it might have to do something with the mystic buff being fixed. Even with the mystic buff, it still wouldn't quite push it to the side of snakes being OP. I assume they nerfed it only to not buff the primary damage dealing tower of mystic, without giving much thought.

@Soulstiger quote:

@Pegazul quote:

I mean, they did nerf Lunar Portal at the same time as Ghostly Halberds. Saying that those were just slipping under the radar because how much better Ghostly Halberds was. But, they did like 15k dmg single target, and couldn't stack, with close to perfect NM4 gear, lol.

I'm glad someone else was as confused by the lunar portal nerf as I was.  I desperately tried to make those portals work but they were just *** every time I tried.  Nerfing them because ghostly halberds was (rightly) over powered? lol what

I tried vipers too, and it only works well for quick builds if you are AFKing below your gear IMO. It is the only mystic tower I don't regularly use at this point.

Right now, my favorite Mystic tower is the Serpent Coil as it got buffed considerably a patch or two back. I have a glass version that does 800k DPS, and a DP/DS/DH that does 400k but has 380k health. Both use deadly strikes so the 2.5k range is respectable and it pierces shields, and when put near a kill zone it creates more heal globes than you can use.

For 20 DU, that is a lot and a great way to keep your character healed when the assassins keep jumping him. If I am not DPSing with the AL, I use one of them most every map now.

@Rominus quote:

@Soulstiger quote:

@Pegazul quote:

I'm glad someone else was as confused by the lunar portal nerf as I was.  I desperately tried to make those portals work but they were just *** every time I tried.  Nerfing them because ghostly halberds was (rightly) over powered? lol what

*ahem* don't let the devs know, but the portals stay out for their entire duration even if you switch characters ;) ;) Not broken still, as you'd even need 4 copies of the weapon and still do poor single target dps to 12 enemies :/