Sign in to follow this  
Hom-Sha-Bom

Fed Up

I used to do uni work on one screen and have the other screen levelling 4 heroes at once on DD1 Tavern defense, leaving it open to public and letting the leechers UP my archers. I miss those days :s

Any time DD1 comes up in discussion, I get really happy, then a little sad

slight AFK gaming is great.  like when you just repair and upgrade till you're out of mana, then park your hero somewhere and hit G.  that's relaxing and you get that great feeling that you're accomplishing SOMETHING while focusing on something else (netflix)

it gets bad when the only way to progress is by AFKing.  like if the above situation has no alternatives.  your participation in fighting the wave isn't speeding it up, and you're required to sit through 30 minutes to an hour worth of goblins throwing themselves at your unkillable defenses.  if you don't have netflix at this point and actually want to play A GAME then you're not getting what you want

it's two different types of gameplay for two different types of situation.  all i'm asking is that we don't kill one to serve the other.  #GoblinRollersSuck

[[99024,users]]:
I guess that does make sense. If people do enjoy slight AFK gaming and it's something that's optional, then I'm not against what you're saying.

I'd much rather the game appeal to more people than just me, so you and everyone above who commented about enjoying AFK farming aspects have my support if that's something you want. Just so long as it's not the only way to progress, like you said.

@mmm quote:

you are sick

something you can do while watching netflix is not even a game

DD2 is proud of its tower defense heritage

NO AFK SHAMING!

@ram1024 quote:

@mmm quote:

you are sick

NO AFK SHAMING!

But, DD2 does not have a tower defense heritage.....

Trendy has made it clear small # of times that "DD2 is NOT a tower defense game. It is NOT an action RPG game. Dungeon Defenders 2 IS an Action RPG Tower Defense game. There will be some things that your heroes are better at doing. There will be other things that your towers are better at doing." - Various Trendy Ent Employees

Let's make sure we at least label the game correctly. :-)

@SpiderDanX quote:

@ram1024 quote:

@mmm quote:

you are sick

NO AFK SHAMING!

But, DD2 does not have a tower defense heritage.....

Trendy has made it clear small # of times that "DD2 is NOT a tower defense game. It is NOT an action RPG game. Dungeon Defenders 2 IS an Action RPG Tower Defense game. There will be some things that your heroes are better at doing. There will be other things that your towers are better at doing." - Various Trendy Ent Employees

Let's make sure we at least label the game correctly. :-)

You made me break the silence with your post. Again.

I had a long write up but sadly pressed refresh by mistake and it's gone. Joys of being at work I suppose.

DD2 HAS a Tower Defense Heritage. DD2 only exists cause DD1 existed first and was successful. Without it, there wouldn't be DD2, so there IS a legacy. There is an inheritance for that specific Gameplay mode.

That quote it self is ridiculous. A game that's neither of those things, can't be both. There's a reason why the game is facing so many gameplay woes right now and it's just not Bugs. It's general sense of direction.

So please, stop shoving that quote down "our" throats every time someone mentions Tower Defense for DD2. That's what it was meant to be. That's (and here I agree with you I suppose) NOT what it IS right now. And that's bad. 

No matter how much you want it to, the game ROOTS are of a Tower Defense Game. It made it unique and fun. 

And I'm gone again.

I've been playing DD since 2011 and the interaction your hero have over the Tower Def game is what brought my attention to this game. I don't know how you want to call it, but there is something + over TD in DD.

@Elyssae quote:

No matter how much you want it to, the game ROOTS are of a Tower Defense Game. It made it unique and fun. 

@mmaakk quote:

I've been playing DD since 2011 and the interaction your hero have over the Tower Def game is what brought my attention to this game. I don't know how you want to call it, but there is something + over TD in DD.

@Elyssae quote:

The Interaction yes, not the need to be -everywhere- at the same time.

You're the Mechanic / Support of the Team ( Towers ) .

DD2 feels the other way around.

The issues in this game are vast and numerous. Just look at the 1st page on the general discussion forum. Usually 90% of the threads are about various bugs, tower imbalances, lack of map variety, RNG frustration, terrible game systems like loot progression & multiplayer scaling, incredibly myopic implementation of Ascension (which means new Chaos levels are AFKable for high ascension players who still have nothing to do even though a new difficulty is released, and they're impossible for new players who don't have hundreds of ascension levels) & Defense Speed (the speed cap is ridiculous. you can already reach the cap with speed as a secondary stat without any shards or ascension on some defenses, and in upcoming chaos levels, you'll be able to hit the cap on all towers, making 1/4 of all relics that drop - Orbs - 100% worthless), a totally absent end game, a bug reporting website where obvious bugs go ignored (why does the site exist? Trendy reject reports that are very clearly bugs, or just flat out ignores them and leaves them in the purgatory of "In Review" forever, so other players who experience the same bug don't even have the opportunity to vote for it or add their own comments on it), and so much more.

There is not much with this game that is going right, ATM.

The things I complained about in the original post here were just the tip of the iceberg of what was bugging me most at that exact moment in time.

it's the little things that annoy me lately.  lack of polish and usability woes.  i've gotten used to the big bugs and take measures to mitigate them.  but the little things irk me every game

like how it tells you "you can't change heroes when using an ability".  well why not? just DO it.  like how when you switch into EV siege mode you have to release and rehit your fire button in order to start shooting when it could simply just DO so if you're already holding the left mouse.  like how hitting the heal button again CANCELS your heal when there's no use for that mechanic other than to ruin a heal you're trying to perform.  like how clicking an item then clicking a tab doesn't simply just transfer the item to the tab, you have to click a slot in the new page.  i can go on and on :P

this game makes me itchy

@ram1024 quote:

like how clicking an item then clicking a tab doesn't simply just transfer the item to the tab, you have to click a slot in the new page. 

Right click the tab. I don't know when they snuck it in there (cause I'm almost positive it wasn't there at start of trials...) but you can drop them into tabs now.

@ram1024 quote:

slight AFK gaming is great.  like when you just repair and upgrade till you're out of mana, then park your hero somewhere and hit G.  that's relaxing and you get that great feeling that you're accomplishing SOMETHING while focusing on something else (netflix)

Unless you park your hero anywhere remotely close to a core. Then assassins can just GAME OVER you, because assassins being able to damage cores makes sense.

@Radu Lykan quote:

@ram1024 quote:

Unless you park your hero anywhere remotely close to a core. Then assassins can just GAME OVER you, because assassins being able to damage cores makes sense.

Lucky a core takes up 0.05% space in most maps, makes not sitting directly next to it a cakewalk ;D

@[UMF] Filthylopez quote:

@Radu Lykan quote:

@ram1024 quote:

Lucky a core takes up 0.05% space in most maps, makes not sitting directly next to it a cakewalk ;D

I'd says 5% sounds more accurate per core, since standing anywhere in the vicinity can get it assassin'ed if your idling. The whole central area on greystone, either of the platforms on bulwark, etc.

Still easy to avoid, just annoying and I don't want to think that killing cores is the intent of the mob.

more importantly you need to know the location of your respawn and not build DPS towers anywhere near it or they get instagibbed :P

@Radu Lykan quote:

I'd says 5% sounds more accurate per core, since standing anywhere in the vicinity can get it assassin'ed if your idling. The whole central area on greystone, either of the platforms on bulwark, etc.

Still easy to avoid, just annoying and I don't want to think that killing cores is the intent of the mob.

Yeah I suppose C5 is also more of an problem for this, C6 and 7 there aren't enough for it to be an issue. Still, after the first core explosion, everyone is too scared to even walk in the direction of it anymore so it shouldn't happen more than once.
Unless you play......PUBLIC (dun dun dunnnn)

@xArcAngel quote:

Right click the tab. I don't know when they snuck it in there (cause I'm almost positive it wasn't there at start of trials...) but you can drop them into tabs now.

yeah i stumbled upon this by accident maybe 2 hours after i made my post

now they just need to implement drag-drop :P

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

But my quality of life can only improve by no longer clicking that big magenta "PLAY" button any more.

if you could instantly fix/change ONE thing to make it worthwhile for you to hit that play button what would it be?

@ram1024 quote:

if you could instantly fix/change ONE thing to make it worthwhile for you to hit that play button what would it be?

for me, im not sure, jsut ONE thing? hm ... there's a lot really .. nerf multiplayer scaling, fix loot progression/add ipwr like restriction settings that we can set, take out all forms of hard-counter mobs ....

but .. if i had to pick only one? ..... oi ... tough choice .. id probably settle with Hard-Counter mobs removal, being replaced with none-hard counter mobs, then, least i can play, and play with whatever towers i want, hopefully the hard-counter mobs would be replaced with other types of challenging mobs to make me have to rethink my placement strategy or such, but nothing that outright shuts off an entire category of tower types so i can be permitted to experiment with whatever towers/traps/defenses/whatever i wanted and use whatever hero i wanted, like huntress again, i rather miss her, but between all the hardcounters, she's complete garbage, cyborcs make all but 1 of her traps useless(beyond the fact they kinda suck anyway) and vanguards and geodes render essentially all of her, atk and skills, useless. Assassins dont help either, she does not scale well with health so assassin bumswarming and she's just dead. Though assassin isnt technically hard-counter, just a real jerk to deal with lol

@ram1024 quote:
@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

But my quality of life can only improve by no longer clicking that big magenta "PLAY" button any more.

The honest answer is that there isn't ONE thing that could get me back in the game, because there are just so many things that are wrong with it right now.

@mmm quote:

@Jojozityjo quote:

Take notes trendy, seriously, this is what you are doing to your players, you wont have a company anymore if you keep this up, Trendy. Fix the game, or die as a company.

you dont understand *** about game dev

companies dont care at all about old non paying players

they care about new players cause they bring in fresh money

who already played 2k hours and didnt spend 1 penny is not worth to any company

First, please don't defend them and play white knight. It's a terrible act.

Second, LARGE companies/games don't care about leaving players, SMALL(er) companies/games should look at retaining as many players as possible, regardless if they are paying or not. Trendy as a company, DD1, DDE and DD2 are all small population games and should make it a priority to keep as many players around as possible. Players are the lifeblood of a game afterall. WoW can bleed 1 million players over the course of a year and still be far in the green as far as profits are concerned, DD2 probably has a sub 1k playerbase and every player they can keep matters in the long run.

Game developers should care about players. Even the people who play the game for free without spending any money provide some value, because essentially, players are content that developers cannot create. Active player steam statistics, the number of public games that can be joined, the number of players one meets in the game, all influence how many new players are willing to spend money on the game.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

the number of public games that can be joined, the number of players one meets in the game, 

Too bad current multiplayer scaling absolutely destroys those two.

i'm still playing the game but if there was one thing i'd want fixed/added it would be siege rollers taking full damage from defenses behind them (and mine type defenses under them)

if assassins are going to FORCE me to be afk then there shouldn't be mobs that can't be killed while afk.  one or the other, trendy.  the game needs counterplay