Am I just really bad?

I started playing again, and the game seems WAY harder to me now.  I am playing by myself and I just lost the 7th round, little horn valley on normal difficulty 3 times in a row.  My gear is not good but I have some thing in the slot for each tower I am using at least.

I am using the mystic for walls and laser snakes, flamethrow towers and ice beam towers, and Poison dart thrower.  Any lane I am not fighting at takes significant damage, and the "crystals" get hit a bunch every time flying stuff comes.  I put 2 snakes and an ice tower and it still can't kill two little wyverns before they hit it a bunch.

Am I just doing something really wrong or am I just that bad at the game?

@senf71 quote:

I started playing again, and the game seems WAY harder to me now.  I am playing by myself and I just lost the 7th round, little horn valley on normal difficulty 3 times in a row.  My gear is not good but I have some thing in the slot for each tower I am using at least.

I am using the mystic for walls and laser snakes, flamethrow towers and ice beam towers, and Poison dart thrower.  Any lane I am not fighting at takes significant damage, and the "crystals" get hit a bunch every time flying stuff comes.  I put 2 snakes and an ice tower and it still can't kill two little wyverns before they hit it a bunch.

Am I just doing something really wrong or am I just that bad at the game?

did you equip relics in the right tower spots? 

I think so.  I have not got anything very good yet.  But I have something in each tower slot I am using..  Only adding like 150 or so to 3 stats each or something like that.

senf add me my on steam I will look on your stats and game and build and help you to progress. My steam name is M.A.X.. Write me today.

It could be both, but you are definitely doing something seriously wrong. 

I highly recommend rethinking your entire approach to the game, what monsters are hard and what towers/heros are good.

I would also recommend you join some public games on the maps you can clear solo, not to leach but rather to spark new ideas on how to play. I also recommend checking out Juicebags and Sidewalkhero's streams on twitch and ask questions.

Finally try and create a solid strategy with your towers rather then randomly changing towers every other game. Getting better at playing an average build will yield better results then constantly changing build hoping for that perfect setup.

Really finally^^ loot, remove badly geared heroes from your deck and always equip the best gear you find, this will insure better loot dropping. 

Even more Finally^^ Once you complete the campaign farm Harbinger for gear, then move onto Chaos 1, only moving to the next chaos when you are no longer getting upgrades.

DD2 is like domestic abuse, sure you need to put shades on when you go shopping, but the good times make it worth it. Plus I know the Dev's really do love us deep down.

@Zimmermann quote:

DD2 is like domestic abuse, sure you need to put shades on when you go shopping, but the good times make it worth it. Plus I know the Dev's really do love us deep down.

I know you meant that as a joke, but I'm honestly sorry to say it was not a good one.

@atharix quote:

senf add me my on steam I will look on your stats and game and build and help you to progress. My steam name is M.A.X.. Write me today.

You haven't connected your Steam account on the forums and there are probably hundreds of thousands of Steam users with that name. I doubt this person is going to ever find you.

@Elyssae quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

I know you meant that as a joke, but I'm honestly sorry to say it was not a good one.

Empathy is paramount, but will only get you so far before it consumes you, thats when Gallows Humour comes to the rescue.

Gallows Humour is probably one of the best forms of mental fortitude any social worker, nurse, doctor, firefighter or police officer can muster when dealing with crisis. 

He was beaten by his wife regularly so sharing his experience helps him to move forward. Empathy is good Emoji_LadyOrc.png

@Elyssae quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

@Elyssae quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

Empathy is paramount, but will only get you so far before it consumes you, thats when Gallows Humour comes to the rescue.

Gallows Humour is probably one of the best forms of mental fortitude any social worker, nurse, doctor, firefighter or police officer can muster when dealing with crisis. 

Giving it a name doesn't make it a better joke or justifiable. :P 

I didn't take direct offense, but the way it was phrased is something I myself consider of poor taste and un called for. 

I didn't take direct offense, but the way it was phrased is something I myself consider of poor taste and un called for. 

Ok

@Zimmermann quote:

It could be both, but you are definitely doing something seriously wrong. 

I highly recommend rethinking your entire approach to the game, what monsters are hard and what towers/heros are good.

I would also recommend you join some public games on the maps you can clear solo, not to leach but rather to spark new ideas on how to play. I also recommend checking out Juicebags and Sidewalkhero's streams on twitch and ask questions.

Finally try and create a solid strategy with your towers rather then randomly changing towers every other game. Getting better at playing an average build will yield better results then constantly changing build hoping for that perfect setup.

Really finally^^ loot, remove badly geared heroes from your deck and always equip the best gear you find, this will insure better loot dropping. 

Even more Finally^^ Once you complete the campaign farm Harbinger for gear, then move onto Chaos 1, only moving to the next chaos when you are no longer getting upgrades.

Thank you for the info.  I will try to do a few games with others to see what they do, and look at those steams.  

But as a starting point do you have a recommendation for a standard set of stuff to try using?  I very much like the idea of have a set up that I start a round with and adjust if I have to.  I want to keep the Ev2 as my fighter but the other 3 slots in my hero deck I can take what ever, I own everything but the gunwitch.  I would like to find a set up if I can that does not use more than 4 heroes if I can.  Don't really like having to swap out my deck all the time.

So if you have recommendations for a set up I could try that would be great.  :) 

[[18026,users]] my recommendations will be based around ground defenses because I love them.

• Frostbite Towers - Medallion (duet/range/frosty power) for Chaos 1-6
  • Flame Auras - Orb (Range/Rate/Power transfer) for all Chaos that does not have EMP Orcs. Drop Rate shard when you can cap attack speed 0.31s.
  • Blockades - Totem (Fortitude/Explosive Guard/Sharpened spikes)
  • Sky Guard Tower - Orb (Range/Rate/Power transfer)
  • Boost Aura - Mark - (Boosted Grasp/range/anything) exchange this for frosties in C7, buff your front 2 Flame Auras.
  • Fissures -  Orb (Range/Rate/Power transfer) for Chaos 5 and other Chaos modes with EMP Orcs. I am not 100% sure on Fissures as I never used them.

1-2 frosties per lane, and the above will work though getting the shards will be a big problem. This also only requires the starter heroes and a Lavamancer.

Thank you.  I will try this set up, see how I can do.  As far as ground defenses go are proton beams worth trying?  They seem to cover a reasonable width and they do slow things nicely but I can't really tell if the damage they are doing is worth the kind of high DU cost.

I'm a bit sad when I try someone's build that is a little different from mine and it makes a world of difference. It just goes to show that it wasn't a problem with my hero/tower strength or my ability to control the map or poor tower placement, but it was merely a difference in tower/shard choice. There may be more than one build that is viable, but there sure are a lot less viable builds than there were back when the game was fun to experiment with.