Sign in to follow this  
UncrownedData

toggle off XP

Since there is the new update coming, I am curious if it is possible to add in a toggle off XP option?  I am not sure how hard this would be to implement, but I would guess something you could purchase from the tavernkeep, much like the XP bonus.  Except this option would remove/restore your ability to earn experience toward character level.  I suggest making it quite a high price in order to prevent low characters from accidentally doing this and then the restore option would maybe be free, should you ever want to start earning XP on that character again.  

Just a thought I had tonight. 

I'd like to see something like this. Or disable the auto-level up when I purchase a respec. Or allow higher lvl-s to stop speccing at a specific level I want them to be.

@Pjtor quote:

disable the auto-level up when I purchase a respec

Yes pls :)

(I have asked for this before)

Personally I like keeping my tower chars below 90 (I only use sup gear on them) and would like DPS at 93. However I have no way of keeping them there because of the forced auto-level up at respec. Can't make and level up a new char every time I find a new piece of gear and want to redistribute my hero points. (I could but I don't want to)

Same problem if you're trying to use godly / myth chars with appropriate levels.

Or level 30 turtle builders :)

I really don't see what the use of this would be.

If you don't want to spend you points on a respec right away, just hit ESC? If for some weird reason I don't understand you don't want the full value of all your stat points, just don't spend them all? What's the use of freezing a character at a level below max?

@Alhanalem quote:

I really don't see what the use of this would be.

If you don't want to spend you points on a respec right away, just hit ESC? If for some weird reason I don't understand you don't want the full value of all your stat points, just don't spend them all? What's the use of freezing a character at a level below max?

If you dont use all the points in  respec, you dont level up at all.  You remain at level 0 until you use ALL current hero points given to you for your current xp.  The use of this is to maintain characters at a certain level for fun.  For example, if I wanted to use Myth/Trans/Sup builders, and I wanted to ensure there is no chance my builders would ever pass the level for those armor types, this is the best solution out there.  Right now, if you level to 74 and use your points, and then use that character to kill a boss or something, you cannot buy a respec because then you would either be stuck at level 0 or be forced into going to level 75... 

The same concept applies to godly and all other armor levels as well.

[[19066,users]]

There are two solutions here on this post. The first is what I proposed in just allowing us to freeze xp gains. The second would be more applicable/useful to a broader player base, and involves removing the forced auto-level-up. This solution fits in to what you are saying, in that players could spend the points needed for a certian level and then just leave the other points in limbo. This also would allow a person to change the level they wish to be at, at any given time. For example, with this solution, you could level to max, then later decide you want to play as a level 83, and you could just spend the XXX number of points needed for 83. Then do as you say and hit ESC, and then even though they have the XP to be maxed, they will still only be a level 83 character. That is what it sounds like you are talking about, but it is *not* currently working in this way right now.  

On a different note, talking about this has brought up a thought:  This solution would seem to allow players to potentially throw ult/+/++ on a character then lower the level of that character.  I am not sure if anyone else feels that this would be an issue, but my proposal is that ***IF*** / when this gets implemented, anything currently equipped be barred from the stat contributions the item would give.  Similar to the blue square around an armor piece that is part of a set bonus, if an ulti+ piece that required 100 was on a character that downgraded levels to 83, this piece would be given a red colored square to indicate that it is currently providing 0 stats.  This of course assumes that the idea of removing the auto-level-up would allow players to downgrade levels (which I believe would have to be a side-effect, unless I am missing something about this concept)

@Alhanalem quote: If for some weird reason I don't understand you don't want the full value of all your stat points, just don't spend them all? What's the use of freezing a character at a level below max?

If you have myth or trans heroes and want to keep them at levels 74 for myth or 78 for trans, and if you want to respec your hero points, then your hero would go above 74 or 78

If you have myth or trans heroes and want to keep them at levels 74 for myth or 78 for trans

You're still losing me on why exactly someone would want to do this. Are you trying to artificially limit yourself for challenge sake? I've never quite understood this, i.e. what's the difference between, say, playing a map at level 50 on insane and playing a map at level 100 on nightmare (don't fuss over the particulars there, I just threw out arbitrary numbers for the sake of example)- If it's hard it's hard and if it's not, it's not. Level isn't really important to the task of finding a challenge within the game. Down below I get into a somewhat different situation where this makes more sense. Perhaps that is what you're really after and I'm misunderstanding.

UncrownedData
Unfortunately, what sounds like something that would be simple to do is often not the case, and we don't currently have an UnrealScript expert that could implement this kind of a feature (freezing XP gain). While there (for example) does exist a setting on the kismet for spawning enemies to make them not give XP, we would have to know before starting the map if we should tick the box for this for every such kismet action in the level; this would require unrealscript to set up such a variable and send it from the lobby level to the level chosen to play, along with work on the UI to put in the option and make it work.

Now, if the game's stat system were designed better, an option that would help the situation of people wanting to play with a friend without having to make a fresh character for it would be a level sync feature (each player would be clamped down to the level of another player and their stats would be scaled accordingly) but unfortunately with gear having very arbitrary stats that have little connection to the equip level, it would be extremely difficult to fairly scale equipment to match what's possible at a given level (I've played some games with a feature like this).

@Alhanalem quote:
You're still losing me on why exactly someone would want to do this. Are you trying to artificially limit yourself for challenge sake?

Yes. And for bragging rights. To make it obvious to others that it's a godly/myth/trans/sup only character. Also for me it's fun when ppl don't take me seriously because of my character level (this happens a lot) then get surprised when I wreak havoc with them on "hard" maps.

For me, it is more of a desire to test whether or not builds work with lower stats. It would just be so much easier to test with the limit already in place than worry about taking off gear or finding other ways to hit the target stats I would want. Of course the challenge is part of it, sure. But it is more than just finding a single challenging map - I am looking at challenges on the scale of doing ult defender in myth. It isn't hard to find a challenge in the sense that you talked about, but if you look at the bigger picture of what an adjustable level cap could bring, there are a lot of applicable things it would help with

I support this simply because I'm attempting to build a set of godly tier characters. If I need to reallocate my hero points (eg. if my hero speed went under 100) and if I'd gone up a level I'd go up the level even if I don't want to, requiring me to remake and re-level the character again, which I personally don't like doing. At the moment I've gotten by by not using them in combat, but this isn't going to happen with the dps characters that I'd like to keep at a certain level.

The problem is that respec isn't really implemented properly.  It just resets your level to 0 so you can level up again by applying points, but without clearing the flag that makes the experience bonus available. 

One consequence of that is that leveling up via the respec button causes you to miss out on the exp bonus.  If you're level 90, you can buy the exp bonus, level up, and buy it again.  But if you buy the exp bonus, and level up via respec, you can't buy it a second time.  I've missed out on exp several times by doing that, and it's annoying.  This could be fixed by simply checking to see if the respec will result in leveling up, and making the exp bonus available again if so (bGaveExpBonus = 0).

The other consequence is that, as Inferno pointed out, you can't avoid leveling up if you want to respec.  Fixing this would require adding at least one new variable to HeroNetInfo, syncing it to the server and checking for it in AddExperience() in DunDefHero.uc when adding exp to the hero.  Adding the check to CanHeroLevelUp() would prevent the UI for "level up is available!" from popping up.