Sign in to follow this  
Randomroxas

A thought how this game could be more fun.

This is an answer thread to this thread.

The current problem lies in the missing action, which is a result of the only real enemy variation being health.

Of course we got javelins that are barely noticable (except they kill your core with a piercing shot).
We got Dark mages and witherbeasts that just make the enemys tankier and tankier, resulting in pilling up  breaking the games AI.
Explosive Goblins are fine i guess.

I think another problem is that the gap between trash mobs (small enemys) and Tanks (namely Orcs and Drakens) in case of health is to small.

Concept:
A defense should consist of single target and aoe towers resulting in aoe towers killing the small mobs and single target defenses should kill the tankier enemys.
This would make both aoe and single target defenses viable.

Hero's have a very difficult stand in this concept.
They have no real goal in what they should do during waves.

The Problem is that using the above tower concept would limit heroes to be Boss killers.

Having the goal that heroes should be important to a lane would make towers rather weak meaning enemys pile up in front of baricades.

My first thought for a solution would be using the concept mentioned above, which results in heroes being boss killers, but also increase the amount of bosses spawning.
There should be really consistently a boss on the map meaning that players have to rotate around the map dealing with him.
To make fighting them less monoton they all should have different strengths.

Example:
Ogers stay like they are.
Quibly is a really fast runner that ignores Heroes and runs straight up to a defense throwing his bombs to deal massive damage.
Tuskar should buff nearby allies (enemys for you) increasing their damage output.

Bosses also should have skills like ogres and siege rollers have.
Also some passives that change the way you deal with them

Example:
Tuskar can smash his mace into the ground stunning every hero around him that stands on the ground.

Something like this would make the bosses way more intressting while still keeping the original idea of the game I guess.
Obviously this isn't something everyone wants so they maybe should return the Tower only mode from DD1
Also this idea probably has quite a lot of mistakes / things i got wrong or problems I didn't thought about.

Towers obviously need to change aswell.
Synergys should be an important factor for higher difficultys!
The current synergys are mainly left in a few shards (oil shard for harpoon and archers).
They were the main point where differrent strategys could be discovered.

Sorry for the wall of text.

May edit this whole thing a few times
Probably gonna add some stuff.

Have a good day!

I was actually thinking of a new game mode: Coliseum where we would fight new or modified bosses. Maybe every few seconds we get 100 DU to build something, but the boss would target the player. The player would be building both to kill the boss but also to give him more targets. You could even orient this for groups in a tag team fashion maybe. Let 2 people at a time take on the boss. Then you just round robin until the boss dies or everyone on the team is dead. The big change here is that the boss's main goal is to kill the player, not some crystal. This might add a kind of urgency back to the game.

I just want more fights like the dragon from DD1 or the demon in dd1 where you had to activate the lightning rods to kill.

Right now we play to grind shards and relics. It's a grindfest. The latest patch allows you to buy the new shards outright, which is nice, but then that even takes away the grind. Truly the game isn't very fun. But I still keep playing. I'm not sure why.

@jbaisden quote:

I was actually thinking of a new game mode: Coliseum where we would fight new or modified bosses. Maybe every few seconds we get 100 DU to build something, but the boss would target the player. The player would be building both to kill the boss but also to give him more targets. You could even orient this for groups in a tag team fashion maybe. Let 2 people at a time take on the boss. Then you just round robin until the boss dies or everyone on the team is dead. The big change here is that the boss's main goal is to kill the player, not some crystal. This might add a kind of urgency back to the game.

I just want more fights like the dragon from DD1 or the demon in dd1 where you had to activate the lightning rods to kill.

Right now we play to grind shards and relics. It's a grindfest. The latest patch allows you to buy the new shards outright, which is nice, but then that even takes away the grind. Truly the game isn't very fun. But I still keep playing. I'm not sure why.

New gamemodes should be optional additions at the moment.
They have to make the core gameplay fun first before adding more gamemodes.

Another thing I wanted to add was reworking the bosses we currently have in the game.
My main concern about the bosses we have right now is that they don't care about their other lanes.
Both bosses just attack the core, making the fight a power check without any real tactic.
The old base game DD1 bosses had weaknesses we could use (Lightning rods, balistas) and they all never attacked the crystal.
Their goal was to help their minions to kill the crystal by destroying defenses or killing the player.

@Randomroxas quote:

@jbaisden quote:

New gamemodes should be optional additions at the moment.
They have to make the core gameplay fun first before adding more gamemodes.

Another thing I wanted to add was reworking the bosses we currently have in the game.
My main concern about the bosses we have right now is that they don't care about their other lanes.
Both bosses just attack the core, making the fight a power check without any real tactic.
The old base game DD1 bosses had weaknesses we could use (Lightning rods, balistas) and they all never attacked the crystal.
Their goal was to help their minions to kill the crystal by destroying defenses or killing the player.

Completely agree. That hits the nail on the head. In fact the only boss we have akin to dd1 is betsy. Harbringer doesnt count...that was a wildly uncreative fight. Even the lava boss in dd2 was more engaging.