How many walls is it supposed to take to block a lane?

I just want to know what the expectation is on the dev side. Several of the revived DD1 maps have particularly wide passages, the berserk orcs seem capable of squeezing through or past what was previously a solid wall position. Often it feels like the lanes, even in the best spot, are just too wide for two walls, but not really wide enough for three.

I end up putting down three because I don't trust them to actually work, and then feeling stupid for putting down more walls than I need.

Is there a reason the wall and lane sizes feel completely disconnected?

There are two bugs currently:

First one is when you don't have enough dps and mobs clump up infront of your walls, then they start to push eachother and hop over or squeeze through.

Second one is that Malthius or the dark mages(not sure about the name) spawn skeletons behind the wall from time to time.

Best advice is position your defenses accordingly to compensate for these bugs and you shouldn't have a problem in most cases. (If you are playing solo and have enough tower dps you can even go with a single wall)

I personaly put a layer of defenses infront of my core when possible with enough range to safely shoot over the walls. So if anything gets through I get a bit more time to react.

Best of luck.

@nezull quote:

There are two bugs currently:

[snip]
Second one is that Malthius or the dark mages(not sure about the name) spawn skeletons behind the wall from time to time.
[snip]

And when they do that, instead of attacking the nearest defense they march straight to the core.monk_small.png

at the moment I am blocking most lanes with 2, in the current map selection on C5, some lanes with 1 and rarely with 3. 

On Bastille I even block the center double lane with 5, and another lane with 3. I am sure you can reduce it, but it keeps me at 100% chance of victory :)

In my experience it all comes down to how much damage and CC your build has.

If you have stuns you can almost straight away have less walls because they handle Orc berserkers well

If you have very high DPS towers (PDTs/flamethrwers/ramsters) you can have less walls also, as then they are a most exclusively to stop single Orcs and bosses.

I use flame auras so I have parties on my blockades, consisting of 5-10 berserkers :D

@Zimmermann quote:

On Bastille I even block the center double lane with 5, and another lane with 3. I am sure you can reduce it, but it keeps me at 100% chance of victory :)

u may try using 4 walls to block the mid spawn in bastile like this

\ _ _ /

@Zimmermann quote:

at the moment I am blocking most lanes with 2, in the current map selection on C5, some lanes with 1 and rarely with 3. 

If you have stuns you can almost straight away have less walls because they handle Orc berserkers well

If you have very high DPS towers (PDTs/flamethrwers/ramsters) you can have less walls also, as then they are a most exclusively to stop single Orcs and bosses.

I use flame auras so I have parties on my blockades, consisting of 5-10 berserkers :D

i use 1 wall/lane. 2 feels unnecessary. even when i progressed into C5. i lost to much dps and my walls got killed due to that, so i swapped to a 1wall tactic with 1 more dps Tower and it worked.

in the end everyone has to look what fits best to them, the only Thing i can say is even when you Progress 1 wall is definetly enough and can block a lane fine by its own. when you outgear you have even less Problems.

but as i said 1 is working without Problems and if someone wants to be safe they can just slam down more.

@H3M1V3 quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

i use 1 wall/lane. 2 feels unnecessary. even when i progressed into C5. i lost to much dps and my walls got killed due to that, so i swapped to a 1wall tactic with 1 more dps Tower and it worked.

in the end everyone has to look what fits best to them, the only Thing i can say is even when you Progress 1 wall is definetly enough and can block a lane fine by its own. when you outgear you have even less Problems.

but as i said 1 is working without Problems and if someone wants to be safe they can just slam down more.

I am almost sure my tower DPS with 600 ascension is lower then your DPS going into C5. 51.7k per aura. I get big wall build up, I have tried with 1 wall, its simply not worth it with the 3 towers I use (frosty/blockade/fire aura), you will almost get one breach per wave.

If an Aura gets turned off by an EMP orc its GG, sometimes if im super unlucky all 3 auras can be turned off on a single lane. However placing them closer then I used to pays off because of duet frosty power, but RNG can cause you to need a hard block when all auras are turned off.

Edit** Ok so I just did sewers, and lost the south secondary objective, now that lane is a little wider, but I had berserker orcs attacking blockades from behind on almost all lanes. It would only be a matter of time till i got bad luck and one decided to make a B line for the Core. Now I usually turtle build little horn, and that place with 1 blockade per lane.. just is not going to happen with my build.

However I will agree with you that, I underestimated my tower damage and I did a lot better then I expected, but its just not worth the risk even if I only lose 1 in 20 runs when I am semi afking them now super safely.

As mentioned above the main problem (or bug, depending on how you see it) is that clumping of mobs infront of Your walls usually results in mobs mitigating Your walls and going for the core. Lady orcs is the main culprit here because of their more unusual and more aggressive movement protocol. This is a side of team play that is not mentioned too often. Mobs have more hp (and less importantly do more dps) the more players there are, and that means that Your Towers have to chew through larger hp pools to kill them. You can find that 1 wall per lane is enough in solo play (at least when you have established yourself comfortably in a chaos Level), but need 2 walls in team play. Building more walls means sacrificing dps, which puts Your team in a downward spiral making tougher mobs even tougher because you have less available DU to kill them With.

As long as all team members take an active role and do their repair duties and disburse crowds of mobs you should still be alright most of the time. Still, I wish mobs would respect walls more than they do today. Even through it truly brings more chaos into the game play (which many would find fun relatively to mobs being very predictible and always doing the same thing without variation), i think mobs always should focus on a wall untill it is destroyed. Of course, in a wide lane it doesn't make sense to only put a single wall With large wide open gaps on either side because we would all agree that indicated stupid AI behaviour. Generally we don't find it as rewarding winning against obviously stupid AI - we would like to win a Challenge, am I right?