Getting Better Gear as a New Player

So I have been playing for a week now and the progress feels so painfully slow. Is it just me, am I not understanding the loot table drop right or what? Right now I have One card in my deck with fully upgraded gear around 1200's and the base levels are about 900's, so I am farming in C3 atm, and the progress is just horrendous. Say I have a base level helm of 921 if I don't max it out I find gear that is less than 800, than when I max it out I start finding helms that have 930ish, very small increase than I have to fully upgrade that to get 10 better on my next piece of gear. I played for about 9 hours today and went from base of 800 to 900 in 9 HOURS. Is there a way to make this go more smoothly?

max secondary armorstats on c4 are around 915 or so for blue items (not upgraded), so if you have that gear already and upgraded it, you should be moving to c5 to get improvements. in c3 you shouldn't even be able to get anything better than what you already have.

Using medal to upgrade. Upgrade like 20 levels don't need to max. Then when you got highest possible stat for those item you max out. 
Here look at this in "How Loot Works"
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XxXQo-SFDOfrUQ1nq37nHItTcIEDRn80M23xWS0mfM8/edit%23gid=1896230746
You need lots of medals for example I get my gears on C5 (when I was c4) I used about 2k medals just to upgrade everything I got. (4 medallions for builders / all AP/HH gears).
Don't worry I waste my life time 70hrs this week just to grind for some shards :O

If you have any relics equipped, make sure their stats are as high as they're supposed to be. If a relic doesn't have 2x the stats as your weapon, don't equip it. Empty relic slots don't count against you, and it's far, far better to have an empty relic slot than a slot filled with something worse than your hero gear.

Your weapon's stats should also be 1.6x higher than the average of your armor stats.

If you're getting gear with more than say about 30 stat points or so below the best gear you have equipped, then you have something equipped that's dragging your hidden iPWR down. The only time this isn't true is if you hit a Chaos stat cap, since then it can't drop anything better.

Cheat sheet:

• Relic_avg = (2*weapon) = (3.2*armor_avg)
  • Weapon = (1.6*armor_avg) = (relic_avg/2)
  • Armor_avg = (weapon/1.6) = (relic_avg/3.2)

If any of those aren't true, then you have something equipped that's too low compared to the rest of your gear.

Source for proportions: http://dd2tools.com/calcs/

Calmchaos awesome thanks man. Finally it is going quickly. Some streamer told me a while back that the relics do not matter so I have been trying to get gear with 600-1000 relics on me in all slots xD. Thanks again man :D!

Wish I knew this sooner haha have spent countless millions and thousands on thousands of tokens on the struggle haha.