How I calculate DPS (nimbus) (math for dummies)

Hey guys,

there are some towers around who don't show the DPS if you inspect them so I wanted to show players, who might have no idea how math works, how they can calculate it easily.

Most players might know how to calculate. If you already know, then please don't read any further. :P

Anyway, I made an example for the nimbus to show how I proceed calculating the DPS.

1. Example, Destruction: 

mf16sHU.png

This is just a mediocre c5 medallion with destruction, deadly strikes and power transfer.

I will always use deadly strikes even though it does not provide any damage change because I want to have the global range for easier farming. I will also keep power transfer in the 3rd slot to keep it simple.

The nimbus will be something like this:

grLNdwB.jpg

For the calculation we need CRIT Chance, CRIT DMG, DMG (here Rain DMG) and the Rate (here Rain Rate).

Max Health and Range do not influence the DPS stats, even though it may influence your ingame experience.

The formula I use is: (DMG + (CRIT Chance * CRIT DMG)) / Rate.

It adds the possible Crit DMG to the normal DMG but under the influence of the Chance. It would be the average Damage dealt in 100 tries. For example if you have 20% CRIT Chance then you will crit 20 times in 100 tries. Therefore we calculate the CRIT DMG * 0,2.

We divide everything by the rate to get the DMG per second, aka DPS.

So we have here: (68408 + (0.23 * 59192)) / 0.33 = 248552 DPS.

To get the best out of your tower you should compare the result with other results from other shard combinations, therefore...

2. Example, Defensive Critical Strike:

MJ7Gwik.png

As I said, I won't change the 2nd and 3rd shard to simplify it and shorten this thread.

But now we added some Crit Chance in exchange of some DMG.

The nimbus will be something like this:

YIdVEt1.png

The calculation: (51051 + (0.35 * 59192)) / 0.33 = 217479 DPS.

Not a big surprise, the nimbus got worse. Therefore we see that exchanging destruction for defensive critical strike is in this case not a good idea, even though we have power transfer in it.

Well, lets go on.

2. Example, Defense Rate:

lKd6Yd4.png

This shard will make the division factor smaller which can be a huge influence for the solution. The closer you divide by 0, the closer you are to infinite. :p

The nimbus will be something like this:

57dUAqf.png

The Rate went down from 0.33 to 0,25.

Lets see: (51051 + (0.23 * 59192)) / 0.25 = 258660 DPS.

This is 10108 DPS more than destruction!

Resume~:

In this special case its: Defense Rate  > Destruction > Defense Critical Strike.

This may, however, be not always the case. For example if you also exchange the other 2 shards.

___

Well, I hope you could learn a little bit from this example on how to decide which shards will give you a better result.

I also hope that player who think that it's extremely obvious how to calculate the DPS won't blame me for doing this thread.  :P

Anyway, thx for reading and if you still have some questions then leave a comment.

*goes full math teacher mode* Emoji_DarkMage.png

good work, now if u can work without defense range & punch in destruction instead of range, you've got a good shard combination that doesn't use the range shard. But probably don't need to & range is really nice.

Thanks for the math, I figured it's like this :)

Also, can you do the math for the following shard combination?

Range, Power, Attack rate.

Thanks

In most defenses (including nimbus) Power Transfer on a Medallion is about +12.6% damage increase. Destruction is about +31% damage increase.

*** crit, go with a medallion that has dh as secondary and use vampiric empowerment, rate + destruction, that should get you to around 300k-400k with this.

@Skyaliciouse quote:

Thanks

That would be for my case: (68408 + (0.23 * 28561)) / 0.25 = 299908 DPS

40k DPS more but I just left power transfer in the third slot to keep it simpler and have less examples. It was never about maximizing the DPS. ^^

@LuDeRu quote:

@Skyaliciouse quote:

Thanks

That would be for my case: (68408 + (0.23 * 28561)) / 0.25 = 299908 DPS

40k DPS more but I just left power transfer in the third slot to keep it simpler and have less examples. It was never about maximizing the DPS. ^^

Cool ty, I was curious to know so I asked :P Thanks again

"The calculation: (51051 + (0.35 * 59192)) / 0.33"

can this equation work for all towers? i always wonder my rammus dps when adding crit. 

@123theman123 quote:

can this equation work for all towers? i always wonder my rammus dps when adding crit. 

(DMG + (Crit Chance * Crit DMG)) / Attack Rate works for every damage tower I would say. Or at least I can't think of an exception right now. There are some shards however who act a little bit special. For example empowered flame shard for the apprentice. It makes the calculation a bit more complicated. ^^

@LuDeRu quote:

@123theman123 quote:

(DMG + (Crit Chance * Crit DMG)) / Attack Rate works for every damage tower I would say. Or at least I can't think of an exception right now. There are some shards however who act a little bit special. For example empowered flame shard for the apprentice. It makes the calculation a bit more complicated. ^^

i see thanks. not using flames atm.