When will we get a new map pool?

I understand that there must be some randomness in maps played.
In earlier stages of this game it was Liferoot Forest over and over again because it was fast and easy loot farming.

But only 4-5 maps in a single stage of chaos is getting very boring very soon.
Please consider also that not every player likes every map. I have my favorites and another players may have theirs. I am not c5 ready yet but with the current maps available I would skip to Nimbus Reach every time. Maybe play Sewers once in a while but Bastille? (For me personally the worst map ever); and Littlehorn is neither on my personal "must play"-list. ^^

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have more difficult content. It was hyped up to be this terrible thing requiring tons of effort and time, but so many of us were wiping the floor with chaos 5 even before the nerf without having to rely on the freeze shard bug. There were a number of ways to deal with stuff, and I was very sad to see the difficulty get nerfed when it wasn't a huge challenge to begin with like we were led to believe in the streams.

Rather than worrying about rotating maps perhaps the game would get some elasticity in adding a 6th tier with a few more elite mobs and make a higher map count with a grab bag of, say, 5 of the elite mobs without any effort to say sorry... just a simple you wanted something hard well here it is lol

I don't see why you couldn't throw in some random stuff like a kobold that slow poisons the tower it runs into causing temporary damage spreading to other towers which results in no damage as long as you clear the wave before the poison kills the tower. Make it immune to repairs during this time period.

Maybe you toss in a companion elite enemy which spawns with each of a random elite mob that wave. Say it picks emp orc. It could be a harpy which flies along with it and causes a disabling effect of hero actions near it... or even disables towers near it.

You could even add a tunnel worm which pops out near a hero to grab them and drag them to the spawn if they don't kill it or stun it in time.... or perhaps drag you into its layer where you have to kill it before your defenses get smashed.

There are so many possibilities of mobs easily thrown randomly into the mix to create epic encounters people would remember the game for which would easily compliment the elites you have already added.

Just my thoughts ^^

Shuffling up the lower tiers would be nice too, I know it would just compound the work. It gets real old real fast running the same maps to farm for shards over and over.

@iamisom quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

Can we get some information as to when the map pools will be rotated?

Emphasis added is mine. We discussed that map rotation was something we'd like to do, but we don't have 100% plans on doing that right now. If we do rotate the maps, it would only be for the highest Chaos tier currently available (which is Chaos V right now). 

Now, with those pesky clarifications out of the way, who else on the forums would like for us to rotate the Chaos V maps? And if not, why not? I'd love to hear from both sides.

I think you're dismissing this issue as a non-issue way too fast [[4370,users]] :| 

The longevity of the game and it's diversity is on the work the team has poured out so far. Why are you limiting it so much ? 

Don't band aid this like you did for the rest of the patch, the game NEEDS map rotation for ALL CHAOS TIERS not just CH5.

Not only will allow ppl to experiment more, but give people a bit more of a challenge. IMHO, if anything, Chaos5 should have ALL maps in it's pool as it represents the current end game. 

We already play them throughout the campaign, so people know the maps. This is a BIG issue, just as big as Tower Balance / Gold Gains / Shard Drops etc. It's a big deal . Don't ignore it.

Assuming you choose 4 maps for the C5 based about "difficulty" to clear them, well then just put more maps to the pools but add some difficulty to them depend how you think they are easy

Dragonfall Bazaar would be to easy because only 1 core etc... well then add some restrictions, let say " cant use more than X flamethrower, more than X ice tower, cant use more than X projectile tower/cant use at all, 120less DU, Just Grate open wave 1/wave 4, or a mix of many restrictions.

So people could still play some maps they like which open a door for many more builds ( Dragonfall bazaar is a good map to play ballista for example, because of some straight line).

OR deal with it, some map are easier, people who want to get fun will play maps which give em fun :

Having fun by playing easy map ? Well they'll play easy map

Having fun faceing some challenge ? They'll skip until they get some hard map.

There is alot of way to do what people want, but dont forget people play this game for fun, hardcore or softcore players play it because they LIKE it and have FUN with it, hardcore player have fun doing some hardcore content, softcore surely enjoy some challenge but they also like just how the game feeling.

Why not introduce some "sandbox" on it, which increase alot the replayability while people, soft core or hardcore can see whats their limits, it could increase rewards, or stuff level, maybe some map which cap you to a certain ascension level, let say 100 for example, and you gotta clear it with less DU, limited to X things to do, blocking some pass and having to defend in a designed spot or whatever.

Adding again onslaught/survival, with better loot ( peoples LOVES LOOTS ITS A FACT) would also be a way to increase replayability while you can let only fews maps in Trials for your own reasons.

You want hardcore player not to bash the game, you cant, but for sure you want your game to be fun, and people to keep playing it because its how you manage for your game to stay alive, having a reason to add content to him, well, you just CANT block people to farm a game if they LIKE it, then deal with it, give em something HARD to chew. Something ultra hard, or give em tools so they can play it as HARD as they WANT, they wanna get reward because they cleared Throne Room with 220DU ? Well, let em do it. Ascension would trivialize this too much ? Well then limit the points they can spend by 50 each tree ( level 150 ) and they gotta spend em each try, im sure people wont get bored to attributes theses points, because its a good way to try new things for " free" ( It wouldnt replace your actual ascension ofc)

The map pool is short, why care that much about what map people gotta play for progress, peoples who's going to make progress wont care about what map they have to play. I we had another pack of 4 maps to play, peoples would have ANYWAY find a way to clear it, or to grind until wave 3-4 to get stuff and again, the challenge is gone and its all about grinding stuff, its not about map, its about how the game work.

As i said,(IMO) you wanna give fun to peoples, give them TOOLS to adjust what they want, so everyone getting fun ( and reward if you earned it). There's TONS of things to talk about. But limit maps to play to get reward is just a bad way to do it IMO, im still playing the game alot even if i have no more goals, i got alots of ascension levels, i got some perfect stuff and each shards of the game, but i'd get more fun trying news things, maybe loosing to some map because my ol' pdt build/flame wouldnt work, but ALSO i would cringe if THE map i wanna do with X build couldnt work, for example im waiting for the Gates map to give ( at least ) some xp in C5, or some reasons to do it, for 600du i have a build i'd like to try ( didnt even tried it in practice, because... level 46items...) but i'd feel so disappointed if there was a restriction that allow this map in C5 trials BUT ALSO only allow 500DU... By that i mean, think about all the ways players having fun on it, you must add things for X kind of having fun while not blocking others players to also having fun.

I think giving challenge is not about what you gonna limit, its more about what you gonna ADD.

Well, rotate thoses maps pools.

While I haven't read every post on this thread, one theme I keep seeing is that EVERYONE wants the maps rotated, many want just C5, but a lot want the other chaos levels as well.  IMO, it needs to be all the maps for each chaos level.  My reasoning for this is simple, not everyone is farming C5, there are many of us who are either stuck at C4 or lower because of the terrible loot and shard RNG (That's a whole other issue).  So please Trendy, make the right decision here and lets open up the maps to everyone on every Chaos level.

Also, I had a thought about how to open everything up, not sure if anyone else has recommended this but figure if they did then another bump for the idea would be good :)

What if you kept the same type of map sets that you do right now, but have it setup so that you can either pick from a specific map rotation you want, like 4 or 5 maps in set 1, then another grouping of 4-5 maps in set 2 and so on.  That way you can either click on which map rotation you want, just like it is right now but you can choose w/e chaos lvl you want to do on that map set.  Or you can make it random and let the game make the choice.

One last thing, PLEASE stop the game from choosing the SAME map over and over again.  I have had it where I got the same map 4 times in a row, then the next map 3 times and then it went back to the first one for another 3 maps in a row... which is no fun at all.

omg the game is boring as hell right now. We went from a pre-trials patch where there was a reason to run each map in the game at end game to "heres 4 maps deal with it". This end game patch without any end game (or content minus 4 maps???) needs a huge fix asap. 

Seriously, as Trials actually doesn't reward doing the whole Trial, i.e. winning each map in turn, there is zero reason not to put the correct loot into Defense maps, so we can pick any map and run it to get the correct loot and shards.

I would love to have a rotation for the highest Chaos -tier as well.
Currently, running the same maps over and over again is getting rather stale.
Not to mention the nerfs to the Chaos -tiers made Chaos 5 an AFK fiesta.

But if a rotation does come out, I'd like it to only have bigger maps in the pool.
If there are small maps in Chaos 5 map pool, it'd make it even easier than what it is now.

@krsans78 quote:

Why do we need a map rotation for c5? Why cant we just have all the maps?

Regardless of whether I agree or not the reason would be (I assume) that some maps are inherently easier than others. So people would just skip until they got the easier ones.

@JudgeM quote:
@krsans78 quote:

Why do we need a map rotation for c5? Why cant we just have all the maps?

Regardless of whether I agree or not the reason would be (I assume) that some maps are inherently easier than others. So people would just skip until they got the easier ones.

All maps are beatable. If people choose to waste their time rerolling maps, that's on them.

I prefer to skip the maps with stuck siege rollers or random terrain exploiting spear throwers .

@JudgeM quote:

You don't think they do that already?

@Manbeartooth quote:

While I haven't read every post on this thread, one theme I keep seeing is that EVERYONE wants the maps rotated, many want just C5

I don't think anyone wants just C5 rotated. I think a lot of people are just saying C5 must be rotated at a minimum.

I am all for map rotation. I would also love to get the Royal gardens remake map added..... I want to play Frozen Keep........ however if we could choose our own maps maybe make certain shards drop per map would help with the HORRIBLE RNG for shards atm..... 

I'm happy for either scrapping map rotation to allow us to play the maps we like without going through defeats to skip maps we don't like.

OR

Why limit the maps to just a few per tier? I don't get it. There is no continuous scaling of difficulty as you do them as they're loaded randomly already. There is similarly no scaling of reward for progression other than to the next Chaos tier.

I think I'm just generally lost in what chaos actually is other than a restrictive choice of harder difficulty maps with themed enemies.

OR

If we must have a limited selection of playable content, why not daily rotate? What is preventing this?

Thanks for the feedback! This thread was perfectly timed as I was working on a survey about Trials & Shards. Speaking of which, it would be super helpful if everyone would take this survey. This should take up to 5 minutes to fill out. This survey also has some ideas we're considering on how to improve both Trials & Shards, so it'd be great to get your feedback on those, too. Thanks!

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for the feedback! This thread was perfectly timed as I was working on a survey about Trials & Shards. Speaking of which, it would be super helpful if everyone would take this survey. This should take up to 5 minutes to fill out. This survey also has some ideas we're considering on how to improve both Trials & Shards, so it'd be great to get your feedback on those, too. Thanks!

Le done

@iamisom quote:

Filled it.

Please also do something about dailies not lining up with trials.  I often have limited time to play, so to complete my dailies I'm forced to cycle maps until I get a matching one, even when I'd otherwise be fine with the first pick.  The only alternative is to play practice maps, but that's an even worse waste of time.

Update: Fine, I get it.  You don't want me completing my dailies and getting loot at the same time.  After three bastilles and two throne rooms I finally roll a nimbus, and during the second wave I get a "host left" error.  I'll just go do my dailies on campaign easy and play something else while my defenses kill the enemies.

@iamisom quote:

Thank you so much for sending out a survey!

The person who decided to give us a survey deserves a raise. It was very much needed, and it's very much appreciated.

It's one thing to give a survey.  

The question comes down to will they actually take the results seriously and be able to handle some hard truths/constructive criticism.

@calmchaos quote:
@iamisom quote:

Thank you so much for sending out a survey!

The person who decided to give us a survey deserves a raise. It was very much needed, and it's very much appreciated.