The grind is Borderline stupid

simple fact of the matter is this game really is discouraging, i mean you spend countless hours on the game to find that the hours you so lovingly committed are gone to waste as the drops and progression are so idiotically designed for individuals whom  have the luxury of time. i spent the last 2 hours of the game having individuals sabotage the game when their overall lv is so weak, personally i dont blame them as who in there right mind would want to spend 100s hours just to progress marginally thus they try to skip and get carried. This is my first time logging in for 3 months, last i was at ipwr750 across the board on all heroes, SIMPLE FACT IS THE TIME SPENT ON THIS GAME ONE SHOULD FEEL REWARDED AND VALUED  as opposed to OF *** I SPENT 3HRS AND BEEN REWARDED BY TRASH (TRENDY DEVS DEVIOUSLY LAUGHING) , lets burn more hours for trendy to laugh at us. Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

The game has so many fundamental flaws that require addressing in order to appeal to the wider audience. i perfectly understand things should not be to easy that it seemed effortless but it also should bludy not feel like DD1 survival mode either. TRENDY FIX UP LOOK SHARP! 

the grind is there for a reason, earlier you grinded hundreds of hours for that perfect loot piece with stat x and y and passive z with high points in it and now you farm a shard, lvl it up, look for an item and put it in there. if you get another item, remove it and put it in the newer item. it saves you lots of time now. you just need to grind for those shards once.

@Uchihia quote:

i spent the last 2 hours of the game having individuals sabotage the game when their overall lv is so weak,

If you don't like random people join your games, make private games.

@Uchihia quote:

I SPENT 3HRS AND BEEN REWARDED BY TRASH (TRENDY DEVS DEVIOUSLY LAUGHING) , lets burn more hours for trendy to laugh at us. Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

3 hours really isn't that much. Current bags have 64 slots, before the trials update bags were 32 slots. With the transition nobody lost any inventory slots, all total slots got rounded up for everybody.

@Donaga quote:

@Uchihia quote:

i spent the last 2 hours of the game having individuals sabotage the game when their overall lv is so weak,

If you don't like random people join your games, make private games.

@Uchihia quote:

I SPENT 3HRS AND BEEN REWARDED BY TRASH (TRENDY DEVS DEVIOUSLY LAUGHING) , lets burn more hours for trendy to laugh at us. Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

3 hours really isn't that much. Current bags have 64 slots, before the trials update bags were 32 slots. With the transition nobody lost any inventory slots, all total slots got rounded up for everybody.

well its like saying why does someone not play Call of duty multiplayer with AI rather than people, playing with others just enhances the experience regardless of the game. 

assuming the purchase price was the same for bags then i i got robbed as the same price i could of got twice the size pre patch, hence why i logged the ticket. 

the game game fundamental flaws that will discourage the wider audience, i mean its pretty obvious how bad the forced grind is 

@Uchihia quote:

well its like saying why does someone not play Call of duty multiplayer with AI rather than people, playing with others just enhances the experience regardless of the game. 

DD2 and CoD are completely different games, you're comparing apples with oranges.

@Uchihia quote:

the game game fundamental flaws that will discourage the wider audience, i mean its pretty obvious how bad the forced grind is 

If you would get all the items you need at the first mob you kill, there's no reason to play the game anymore.

@Skyaliciouse quote:

@Sena quote:

you just need to grind for those shards once.

lies.... I've had to get 2+ seperate shards of the same shard to be able to use it at the same time on 2 seperate towers. Lets ignore the fact they cost riduclous amounts of gold & DMs after a while and simply focus on the first point I made.

@Sena quote:

earlier you grinded hundreds of hours for that perfect loot piece 

you now spend 100s to only use it on 1 piece. loot/shards should not be so rng heavy & gold earned or gold costs need to be reduced or both.

First point. You're joking right? You get 20k gold and 24 medals per run. Upgrading anything expansive to the max costs like 90 medals. Even if you feel like that's a lot. A daily gives up to 450. So farming your daily already yields you 525. And ofc you use them on separate towers. Upgrading isn't the issue here. 

Gold earned is no issue either. You use medals to upgrade. The only nerf should be targeted at pet and hero medal prices.

You're the typical american I'm lazy pls nerf everything guy who ruined jrpgs for everyone. Can't take you seriously. You're blinding yourself with wrong facts to talk down on the game. And you can't compare this to cod. If you don't want to solo. Play Public. But then live with the difficulty. And yeah. U spend a few hours on one shard. But you can hotswap it into any gear piece you want. 

@Uchihia quote:

Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

Are you seriously complaining about getting more inventory space?

You should probably stop playing early access games or RPG's all together if you dont like grinding.  
With 750 nm4 gear you can get to c5 within 4-7 days, you're really not that far from being back on top.  

When you play early access these kinds of resets are what you should expect, yes the game should've been out of early access a long time ago, but this patch shows exactly why it isn't.  

Either quit until the games released, or roll with the punches.  

You are in Defense Council.... maybe you should be more present when Council makes important decisions that impact the game. Or resign in protest Emoji_Orc.png

@Uchihia quote:

simple fact of the matter is this game really is discouraging, i mean you spend countless hours on the game to find that the hours you so lovingly committed are gone to waste as the drops and progression are so idiotically designed for individuals whom  have the luxury of time. i spent the last 2 hours of the game having individuals sabotage the game when their overall lv is so weak, personally i dont blame them as who in there right mind would want to spend 100s hours just to progress marginally thus they try to skip and get carried. This is my first time logging in for 3 months, last i was at ipwr750 across the board on all heroes, SIMPLE FACT IS THE TIME SPENT ON THIS GAME ONE SHOULD FEEL REWARDED AND VALUED  as opposed to OF *** I SPENT 3HRS AND BEEN REWARDED BY TRASH (TRENDY DEVS DEVIOUSLY LAUGHING) , lets burn more hours for trendy to laugh at us. Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

The game has so many fundamental flaws that require addressing in order to appeal to the wider audience. i perfectly understand things should not be to easy that it seemed effortless but it also should bludy not feel like DD1 survival mode either. TRENDY FIX UP LOOK SHARP! 

The grind needs a few things amending

The shard distribution over Chaos Tiers

Shards for only Tier x should drop when you play Tier x, if you want shards from lower tiers, you can play that tier.

Gold drops need to at least double and sell value for loot need to increase by a factor of 5, with upgraded gear reflecting the fact they have been upgraded by returning say 50% for the upgrade cost.

Assassins self healing needs a tweak down IMO.

@Skyaliciouse quote:

Upgrading expensive stuff costs 251DM, 500k+ gold. 

Dailies don't always give 450. What if you didn't do chaos run to do a daily? I do mine in campaign easy so I finish them quickly. you get a reliable 300 if you decide to wait out a bad 225 reroll which is nice.

I never compared DD2 to cod.

I've been playing since early access, don't see why I would want to take it down. We're all here to give feedback on the new update and how it's affecting us.

You can call me lazy, but I like to be rewarded for the effort/time spent. When it's all rng based and after 15 runs don't see an upgrade, it's a bit much. FYI, I was one of the lazy players that farmed for monk's cosmetic when it was extremely expensive before it became free unlocks. Which I'm happy about because it benefits everyone.

not that it should matter, but you did call me lazy.

I'll take your word for it, that 20k gold is what I get every game. That's 25 c4 runs before I get to upgrade 1 piece. You probably won't be getting crazy 12 minute clear speeds in c4 without using the best setups or upgraded gear.

Sorry. Most of it was targeted to op complaining. That might have fired a little in any direction. Should have quoted better.. 

Idk about not getting an upgrade in 15runs. I usually go from bottom to top tier within 2 days of any chaos tier and yesterday I afk farmed C5 (only moving to kill siege) a few times and got 2 mythic and 1 legendary relic with correct stats and 60 ups. I get a reasonable upgrade every 3 to 4 runs. 

@Skyaliciouse quote:

But feel free to add me on steam. Personally I only dislike people who flame for no reason and complaining about stuff that doesn't need fixing like op and then comparing to cod and feel to add me on steam if you need a little help. 

Tbh the only change the shard system needs is removing campaign shards from the chaos loot table. 

If you read more carefully  you could notice that OP's post is clearly rude... and there are also contradictions (loving hours for an example). My comment about Defense council was a hidden criticism since I've seen many clueless players in this game with that title. Same like many other in-game titles.

@Uchihia quote:

@Skyaliciouse quote:

@MamaTata quote:

You are in Defense Council.... maybe you should be more present when Council makes important decisions that impact the game. Or resign in protest Emoji_Orc.png

Community feedback outside of defense council is important too. But it's TE's decision so I understand that too. I don't think there is any need to discourage people using the general discussion section of the forums.

@MamaTata quote:

If you read more carefully  you could notice that OP's post is clearly rude... and there are also contradictions (loving hours for an example). My comment about Defense council was a hidden criticism since I've seen many clueless players in this game with that title. Same like many other in-game titles.

This attitude always irks me too.  People say they've played a game for hundreds of hours and liked it, but now those hours are going to waste because of some change or another.  Well games are entertainment and if you liked playing, then those hours didn't go to waste.  When you finish a movie or a good book, do you lament the time you wasted because the story is now done and you have nothing but memories of it?  If you want something with lasting results, get a job or a hobby.

@Skyaliciouse quote:

While I agree with you, games are also a hobby. A Virtual one. I'm of people that fall under the, I don't like grinding part of community. I may have spent a lot of time (that should show dedication) to get what I wanted/needed but it doesn't mean I enjoyed doing it because enjoyment started after I got it. I played the game for different reasons, and the grind was just something forced on me to stop me from enjoying
higher level content. I understand though... some people like the journey to reach a peak... while others like the journey after the peak or the 3rd type that like both.

True.  What I meant is that when you play online games, you should realize that you don't actually own the game, you only have permission to play it.  The game is under control of its owner and they make changes at any time without having to ask you.  So you should approach such games with the attitude that nothing is permanent and just have fun playing it.  There are other games and other hobbies which give results that you can keep forever.

For less grindy tower defense / action games, have you tried the Sanctum or Orcs Must Die series?  On pure TD side, the Defense Grid series is one of the best there is.  Another perturbation of the genre is Anomaly: Warzone Earth which puts you in the role of the attacker.

@Fozzie quote:

The grind needs a few things amending

The shard distribution over Chaos Tiers

Shards for only Tier x should drop when you play Tier x, if you want shards from lower tiers, you can play that tier.

Gold drops need to at least double and sell value for loot need to increase by a factor of 5, with upgraded gear reflecting the fact they have been upgraded by returning say 50% for the upgrade cost.

Assassins self healing needs a tweak down IMO.

^ this is the lazy type i was referring too which ruined a big part of the game industry (jrpg's for example), because western people complained about grinding.

Shards only for TX would suck, because then you if you farm c5 for loot (which is the only one that drops best loot) you would run out of shards to collect. Would be nice if they remove Campaign Shards from the Chaos droplist and that would be a huge buff in itself.

Gold 4x ok. but only ingame drops, not the actual clear bonus. 

Sell value 1.5x would be ok too, upgraded gear STRONGLY NO. 50%, maybe like 3% of it's upgrade value... (that would be 6k per 200k invested, that would be x7.3 of what it is now pretty much)

your offer would be ~100-150k for each item... then noone would play the game after a week.... which would hurt the game a lot, because noone would be playing it after 1 week.

You can already get max c5 gear from c1 onward in 14 days. No need to cut it down into 3 days.

Assasins i agree. But i think assasins are really weak, you just need the armor shard in body and the helmet damage reduction and you can let them spank you all they want and you won't bother (except you'd be playing Mystic).

Edit: Removed Quote from Sky. Thought Reply before got lost, but it's on page 2 :')

Edit2: Put one in Again

@Skyaliciouse quote:

While I agree with you, games are also a hobby. A Virtual one. I'm of people that fall under the, I don't like grinding part of community. I may have spent a lot of time (that should show dedication) to get what I wanted/needed but it doesn't mean I enjoyed doing it because enjoyment started after I got it. I play the game for different reasons, and the grind was just something forced on me to stop me from enjoying. This is common sense for me, and if someone didn't have it... I would think they're being rude too (this comment in itself is rude but it's the best wording I could come up with without offensive language or caps locks etc). But misunderstanding/lack of understanding can happen.

I also understand... some people like the journey to reach a peak... while others like the journey after the peak or the 3rd type that like both. We need a middle ground where it's not penalizing for playing the game.

Yeah, i can kind of agree, there needs to be a grind, but you can't make it too easy or it will ruin the essence of the game itself, how long players will stick to it.

I'm already getting bored of it, because i have nothing to do in C5 or any other Chaos Turn for that matter and i didn't even reach Ascension 300.

You get so much gold you don't even really realize it, just by autoselling what you get each run. This is a grind game, grind is what keeps the game alive, if you try to nerf it in any way you'll be tuning down it's lifetime by a lot... if you want it to succseed you don't nerf it pretty much. 

i'm trying not to be offensive, but whoever cries the loudest sometimes gets his voice heard and makes it too easy, driving the people who played the longest away, because they loose interest. Happened to many games before and i don't know how TE handles those things. Except changing Y and Z .. which German Keyboards have twisted (aka QWERTZ keyboards), they haven't done much wrong since the update. Make it better for some, ruin it for others :^)

But i guess this is a people problem. People want everything now, Patch releases, best gear in 2min tops.

@Sena quote:

4 times a tiny sum is still a tiny sum.  There's maybe 500 gold dropped during the map, compared to the 15-20k you get as reward for beating the waves and the map.

You can already get max c5 gear from c1 onward in 14 days. No need to cut it down into 3 days.

I almost called bull*** on this one, but it's actually plausible if you play 15-20 maps per day (so 5-10 hours per day probably) and don't have to spend much time learning each chaos tier.  You'll have to accept epic and even powerful gear, especially for your DPS, and you can't upgrade too many items.  250 maps give you around 4 million gold, which I think is about what you need for upgrading all your shards.  The 6000 or so medals can upgrade 25 items to 60/60.  Most of those upgrades you'll need for your endgame items.

Edit: fixed a word

I'm already getting bored of it, because i have nothing to do in C5 or any other Chaos Turn for that matter and i didn't even reach Ascension 300.

Let me guess, you started off with old NM4 gear and 50 million or more gold?  You probably haven't actually experienced the grind at all thanks to that nest egg.

You get so much gold you don't even really realize it, just by autoselling what you get each run.

At chaos 2 the income from selling loot is like 10% of what you get as wave and map rewards.  I don't know chaos 5 sell values but I suppose it might get up to 50% or so if the sell value scales linearly with item power.

@Squishydew quote:

You should probably stop playing early access games or RPG's all together if you dont like grinding.  
With 750 nm4 gear you can get to c5 within 4-7 days, you're really not that far from being back on top.  

When you play early access these kinds of resets are what you should expect, yes the game should've been out of early access a long time ago, but this patch shows exactly why it isn't.  

Either quit until the games released, or roll with the punches.  

well with NM4 gear i made C4 instantly then farmed shards the whole day and beat C5 the day after, so actually with NM4 gear he should be done in no time. then its not the games fault. it is easily doable he just doesnt know how to use his stuff properly.

@Donaga quote:

@Uchihia quote:

DD2 and CoD are completely different games, you're comparing apples with oranges.

iam not comparing games i comparing the idea of playing with other to enhance the experience whether its competitively or cooperatively

@Skyaliciouse quote:
@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:
@Uchihia quote:

Plus what is going on with trendy support team i contacted them 7 days ago about my inventory bags which i brought  are reduced from 11 to 7. 

Are you seriously complaining about getting more inventory space?

Don't forget sphere & weapon passives are now shards. There are hundreds of them, and you don't always have the shard slots to use the ones you would want to because legendary loot or mythic loot that isn't trash just isn't there most of my runs.

Personally, I don't care either way, in terms of bag space. I've learnt to throw away what I won't be using but at the same time this is where rng starts to play its part. But I think uchihia has a good reason to complain about it. 

No, there isn't a good reason to complain about it. 11 * 32 = 352. 7 * 64 = 448. That's complaining about getting 92 extra inventory slots for free.

@tdb quote:
@Sena quote:

4 times a tiny sum is still a tiny sum.  There's maybe 500 gold dropped during the map, compared to the 15-20k you get as reward for beating the waves and the map.

I almost called bull*** on this one, but it's actually plausible if you play 15-20 maps per day (so 5-10 hours per day probably) and don't have to spend much time learning each chaos tier.  You'll have to accept epic and even powerful gear, especially for your DPS, and you can't upgrade too many items.  250 maps give you around 4 million gold, which I think is about what you need for upgrading all your shards.  The 6000 or so medals can upgrade 25 items to 60/60.  Most of those upgrades you'll need for your endgame items.

Edit: fixed a word

Let me guess, you started off with old NM4 gear and 50 million or more gold?  You probably haven't actually experienced the grind at all thanks to that nest egg.

You get so much gold you don't even really realize it, just by autoselling what you get each run.

At chaos 2 the income from selling loot is like 10% of what you get as wave and map rewards.  I don't know chaos 5 sell values but I suppose it might get up to 50% or so if the sell value scales linearly with item power.

I farm C1 for money/exp. Do 2 Maps and you have like 60k already? That's a lot. If you sell all items and have Jackpot on and just collect and build and with the finish bonus. 

I started with Old Old Old NM4 gear (before smart loot arrived), so i didnt have 750, had like 680-700 gear and i had 8 million gold and had no medals, since those weren't released when i played (before AL got release). That's nothing. And learning a Chaos Tier doesn't take longer than a wave or two. 

You don't need to upgrade many times, just go for small baby step upgrades, that'll take you to C4, max C4 and you're good to go for C5.

But there is a reddit post that one guy did it fresh from scratch to C5 in a week.
Sell Values don't scale with Itempower. They stay the same, the only thing that changes is fully upgraded maxed out 60up stuff sell value is 550~g. 

And finish map is like 5k more gold, but also takes longer.

@Uchihia quote:

iam not comparing games i comparing the idea of playing with other to enhance the experience whether its competitively or cooperatively

what is your issue then? then play MP, if you can't handle MP, don't blame the game :D others made it too.

@Sena quote:

I farm C1 for money/exp. Do 2 Maps and you have like 60k already? That's a lot. If you sell all items and have Jackpot on and just collect and build and with the finish bonus. 

That's an overestimation.  I did a chaos 1 map and collected some numbers.  Total gold gained was 15986.  A lion's share came from the wave rewards, 12650 gold.  Next largest was loot, at 2754 gold.  That leaves only 582 for gold collected from the ground.  Since jackpot is a 30% increase on average, it gave me an estimated 134 extra gold, or 0.84% of the total.  A worthless shard if you ask me.

So two maps would be more like 30-odd thousand gold.  That's 24 maps, or half a day of farming just to fully upgrade one 60-up item.  Fortunately you don't really need to upgrade anything while progressing, since with income this low you'd better save it all for your eventual endgame items.

@Sena quote:

And learning a Chaos Tier doesn't take longer than a wave or two.

I sincerely doubt it's like that for a new player.  I'm not new, and so far I've failed all four of my chaos 3 attempts.  Something keeps instakilling my defenses and cores, and I've yet to get a good look at what it might be since I need to be killing enemies all the time.

@Sena quote:

This is a grind game, grind is what keeps the game alive, if you try to nerf it in any way you'll be tuning down it's lifetime by a lot... if you want it to succseed you don't nerf it pretty much. 

I don't think it's that simple.  For me the grind is slowly killing the game.  Figuring out the new item power -based loot system helped a bit, but I don't know if I have the endurance to make it all the way to chaos 5.  The game can keep me reasonably entertained while playing, but often enough I just don't feel like starting it up.

@tdb quote:
@Sena quote:

@Sena quote:

@Sena quote:

You don't upgrade with only gold or only medals. You gain both per run. Making the mix is what counts and then u need like 4 or 5 runs of c1 to max an item with 60 ups. Or 1 daily of 450 and up like 3 of them. 

Idk. Me, my cousin and a friend had a rough time figuring the loot system out, but once we heard of it, since we're pretty reddit forum nerds  when interested in a game... Didn't take too long and we went into c3, had one wipe, tried something else and boom success. Mostly because we shared our thoughts. Bashing our heads together and it was pretty easy, since we are both pretty dedicated. Then we rushed through C3. For C4 we had the triple daily event which lasted us until mid of C5 actually and we just grinded  the haloween map and nothing else with flames and freezes and left the left and middle lane to fight for itself almost. That went really smooth, because I got the frosty duet and freeze... And monk is a beast against freeze and he could drop me mana as an AL. Used medals and the money we got dropped for upgrades and then went on into C5 sewers when it was still pretty hard and just fished for some blue items and started to roll with it. Tbh c5 is easier with 2 ppl if you can coordinate assassins. 

I'm a daily and whatever you clear per day is enough for decent upgrades and if you know how the system works then item progression should be pretty Easy with making small sacrifices. That's why it's best to play duo so you can take turns who has bis gear, but lower ipwr for one run and then switch so you don't loose. 

Shortening quote, because of the huge wall of text 

Edit :

The only thing that drives me Away from the game is that some, not many people beg for help and the people I want to help don't want to receive help. And since I don't profit from anything anymore except farming c1 for shards I've never seen before and my 3rd vampiric... There is no real reason to play on and on when waiting for new content. 

I generally just public my runs so others also profit from it. 

But I understand they can't use the pace of the fastest people to push new content or the new people or let's call them less fortunate people will feel overwhelmed. 

Like I helped some guys from C1 to end of C3 stats and he tried building c2 himself and can't beat C2 with almost maxed out c3 gear... After the nerf or adjustments. 

@Sena quote:

You don't upgrade with only gold or only medals. You gain both per run. Making the mix is what counts and then u need like 4 or 5 runs of c1 to max an item with 60 ups. Or 1 daily of 450 and up like 3 of them. 

That's still a bit off.  One upgrade level costs 6k gold or 4 medals.  Five C1 runs gives you about 70k gold and 125 medals.  That's only enough for 43 upgrade levels.  You'll need about seven or eight runs to fully upgrade one item.

Similarly, that 450 daily is only enough for 112 upgrade levels, so almost two 60-up items, not three.

Of course, this assumes that the player doesn't want any new heroes or is fine with paying $15 for each.  I'm currently saving medals for the last hero I'm missing (lavamancer), so no medal upgrades for me until I have him.

I've discovered though that upgrading items is not actually necessary to progress.  Your loot is within +-3% of your current average item power, so by keeping only one hero in deck during combat and accepting epic and powerful items with sub-optimal stats it's possible to improve your item power in almost every map.  Upgrades will accelerate the process, but the cost is so high that it hardly seems worth it.

@Sena quote:

The only thing that drives me Away from the game is that some, not many people beg for help and the people I want to help don't want to receive help.

I'm not sure if you're referring to Skyaliciouse here or to players in general.  I can't speak for him, but I always try to make me progress under my own power.  There are multiple reasons, the main ones being independence, proving my worth as a gamer (to myself mostly) and verifying that the game doesn't have a catch-22.  So please don't be offended if some people politely refuse your help.