Sign in to follow this  
visagalis

I don't understand how to get loot upgrades.

I came into the patch with NM4 items and spent all my gold upgrading those. I'm currently able to do chaos 4 I have relics in all my heros slots but im not getting any upgrades. Example on stats armor avg 800 relic avg 4000. Do I have to replace all the items I came into this patch with in order to start getting upgrades? This new iteration of how to get upgrades is just....poorly thought out.

nm4 gear is nearly the same that chaos 3 gear (max chaos 3 gear).

The new loot system make that you need to change ALL your item of your current deck (4 hero in your list) if you want to replace your current NM4 gear. The loot system is based on the average of the tier of your gear, and the system don't really recognize NM4 gear, so it  think that's campaign hard gear and give you just chaos 1 gear, because it think it's better of your current gear, it don't match the stat of your gear (i don't know if i really clear in my explication).

Tips : go in chaos 1 or 2 first, build with your hero, then before launch first round, change your deck (take just 1 hero dps naked with random chaos 1 gear in you deck for example) and you begin to see slowly better gear. you can see all the max stat of the different chaos tier in this sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XxXQo-SFDOfrUQ1nq37nHItTcIEDRn80M23xWS0mfM8/edit#gid=0

Your explanation was great! I was afraid I'd have to replace all of my NM4 gear which really sucks because i spent all my gold upgrading it. Oh well thank you for the information!

@balthorarik quote:

nm4 gear is nearly the same that chaos 3 gear (max chaos 3 gear).

The new loot system make that you need to change ALL your item of your current deck (4 hero in your list) if you want to replace your current NM4 gear. The loot system is based on the average of the tier of your gear, and the system don't really recognize NM4 gear, so it  think that's campaign hard gear and give you just chaos 1 gear, because it think it's better of your current gear, it don't match the stat of your gear (i don't know if i really clear in my explication).

Tips : go in chaos 1 or 2 first, build with your hero, then before launch first round, change your deck (take just 1 hero dps naked with random chaos 1 gear in you deck for example) and you begin to see slowly better gear. you can see all the max stat of the different chaos tier in this sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XxXQo-SFDOfrUQ1nq37nHItTcIEDRn80M23xWS0mfM8/edit#gid=0

Wait so that mean I have to replace all my nm4 gears to C1 or C2 first? Then when I get C2 I max, I go to C3 max it > C4 max > until C5 max? What about relic do I have to equip all tower relic?

yep that's that (c2 > c3 > c4 >c5). The loot that you drop isn't based on your gear's stat, but on the "location" where you drop the gear.

i haven't try if you have no relic (i was always with all my relic emplacement full).

If you can play on chaos 4 you can (nice shard in chaos 4), but you begin to loot chaos 1 gear in chaos 4 map, then chaos 2 gear, etc...

A little precision, play in trial mode (random map in second position of the list of map), not in practice where you can choose your map. In Practice map you only drop hard mode campaign gears...

So best way is to build the towers, then remove heroes from deck and only leave 1 dps with c1 random gear and upgrade that 1 character until it reaches c4 gear?
Doesn't that mean I lose out on a lot of ascension Xp with those builders that I'm not having in my deck?

@balthorarik quote:

yep that's that (c2 > c3 > c4 >c5). The loot that you drop isn't based on your gear's stat, but on the "location" where you drop the gear.

i haven't try if you have no relic (i was always with all my relic emplacement full).

I do not think this is true. I get the rare upgrades in Chaos 3 and 4 with NM4 gear.

NM4 gear is basically as good as Chaos 3. It seems like the better chaos 3 gear is better but most is not.

You mainly just need to make sure that you only have one hero in your deck and that he is fully equipped with the highest level gear you have. I've seen conflicting opinions on whether relic slots affect gear drops, but i believe they do personally. Obviously if you have full top level NM4 gear and relics for four characters, that is fine, but chances are you have at least a few pieces that are below par and bringing your loot gain down.

Don't worry with ascension, your level is for your account.

The fastest way is that you said (just 1 hero to equip)

the loot is calculated with the average of your gear (if you have 4 gears / relics end of chaos 1 and 4 gears / relics end of chaos 3, you loot end of chaos 2 gears / relics)

If you had decent NM4 gear, you should be able to clear C3, or at the very least come close enough that shards will get you through. Personally, I'm just farming C1 shards atm, then I'm going to replace all my NM4 gear with C3 gear (weak c3 gear, but c3 gear) and build up from there.

I think we're forced to start off with downgrades... but I'd rather start at C3 than C1.

Wasn't the 'current gear determines loot power' idea debunked?  Sorry to keep bugging you [[4370,users]] (I couldn't find the original thread on this topic).

@Immortal-D quote:

Wasn't the 'current gear determines loot power' idea debunked?  Sorry to keep bugging you iamisom (I couldn't find the original thread on this topic).

If it was debunked, then the debunking was incorrect because that's exactly what I see happening.  There are some obscure rules that may confuse some people (relics only matter for defenses that were built, the system apparently ignores your worst item and rerolled legacy gear counts as campaign gear).  I don't have the exact formula for loot stats but I'll try to work it out later this week if no one beats me to it.

An official explanation would be nice though.  I don't think it serves anyone to keep the players guessing.

NM4 gear should be fine

"Should" being the word.  This was Iamison's last post on the subject and he didn't follow up.

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/143303/chaos-3-and-4-gear-the-same?scrollTo=1267806&page=3#1267806

Hello again. So I have done around 20 C4 maps since yesterday and I have changed out all of my NM4 gear, the relics on my builders, and have been using just 1 hero in my deck. Unfortunately I am still only seeing C3 level gear. Is this normal are the upgrade drops just incredibly rare or what? My gear is not upgraded due to lack of gold as well.

Without upgrading your gear it's incredibly rare to find better items.  I'm not even certain if it's possible.

Horrible system... wont be pushing until drops are based on chaos difficulty alone. I refuse to upgrade my gear just to progress when I can already clear most of the content. Hope changes are made soon shard farming can only last so long.

Update: it is possible to find better gear without upgrading items.  However, you basically need legendary drops.