I've been thinking about this idea and I think it could solve a lot of problems for progression as well as making the game more interesting. 

I'm not a fan of how each chaos level has specific maps on a playlist. I think we should be able to play whatever map we want on whatever difficulty we want and not be penalized with unusable loot. However, I do think that trials should offer some sort of reward for completing the playlist. 

So how about as an incentive for completing all the maps on a specific chaos playlist we are given the opportunity to choose 1 shard from that tier or below? This would solve a lot of the RNG problems with obtaining shards which are frankly necessary for progression to higher chaos levels. 

People would just run the smaller maps to have easier builds.
I kind of like the current map pools, and hope the higher Chaos difficulties have even bigger maps.

Playing Chaos 5 on a small map would be horrible.

@ShadowBerry quote:

People would just run the smaller maps to have easier builds.
I kind of like the current map pools, and hope the higher Chaos difficulties have even bigger maps.

Playing Chaos 5 on a small map would be horrible.

What's wrong with having people run smaller maps? It's not a PvP or a competitive game.

Because it wouldn't be as difficult.
The smaller maps are piss easy compared to the bigger ones.

No-one would ever play the large maps if the loot would be same from both types of maps.
Everyone would select the small maps to build and manage towers easier.

Still not seeing the problem. If people want to play larger more difficult maps there is no reason they can't challenge themselves by doing so. 

Edit: And like I said, there would be benefits to completing the maps on that difficulty's playlist.

Ive posted this many times already...

The reason it is how it is now is because DD2's player base is Tiny.. so to get more players together we join a queue that randomly selects a map for us..

check out some of my posts on it for more details.. but with so little players this is the best option to get people playing together.

@Nak2K quote:

Still not seeing the problem. If people want to play larger more difficult maps there is no reason they can't challenge themselves by doing so. 

Edit: And like I said, there would be benefits to completing the maps on that difficulty's playlist.

If there is a diffirent difficulty for each map based on their layout and size but they drop the exact same loot, what map do you think would be mostly chosen? Everyone is already rerolling their trials constantly to get the right maps.

Ive rerolled my C4 maps a few times... the Altar of Althame and Assult on Throne maps are pretty hard for me.. the other 3 really easy... Forest Biome can be done in C1 gear if you really wanted too.. that map is extremely easy