An alternative to random trial map selection

Instead of having randomly selected trial maps, how about we solve low shard drop rates and loot drops by bringing back the bonus to the end chest of each map on the first daily completion, similar to our 5 daily bonus loots.  Each map on each trial level will get a daily bonus loot attached to it, giving players a reason to play all of the maps, but still allowing people to do their dailies first or work on strategies for a specific map.

I would suggest 2 extra shards, 1 item of myth+ quality from the end chest, and possibly +50% total map exp.

Optionally you could make the 5 bonuses reset if all are completed.

The random selection is there to get more players together... until DD2's population increases a massive amount this is going to stay :P

Basically you have 10 people wanting to play

--- Old system --

People sit at the game browser looking for the map they want and they dont want to build (not playing a game)

some people only look for games that are about to end... (not playing game)

Others will start and build

--- New system ---

People looking for specific map cant anymore they hit join game... (Playing game)

they either continue or rejoin to get another map... wasting their own time..

People looking for games about to end.. cant anymore .. hit join game (Playing game)

People wanting to build hit create game

So the Old system you have people sitting around in menu's not playing the game.. generally means less funz

@LJMjollnir quote:

The random selection is there to get more players together... until DD2's population increases a massive amount this is going to stay :P

I'm not of fan of Trials, but you do bring up a very good point. I'm now hesitating either or not I would like Trials to stay or not :/ 

I would prefer one of two solutions:

1) Make the Trials a Trial. You start with the first map of the roster in the Chaos Tier at a baseline difficulty and as you progress through the roster of that Chaos Tier, the difficulty becomes more difficult, and the rewards improve. The last map of the roster of the Chaos Tier is just slightly less difficult than the first map of the next Chaos Tier roster and gives a great reward.

2) Open the map roster to all maps and simply randomly select the next map. This doesn't have any meaning towards the "Trial" part though.

I think the random selection is fine.  The problem is that the pool to select from is the same five maps week after week.  They should rotate more often, maybe even every day.  If changing the entire pool every day is too much, maybe change one map every day so that each map stays in the pool for five days but there's still something fresh to play.

@LJMjollnir quote:

--- Old system --

People sit at the game browser looking for the map they want and they dont want to build (not playing a game)

some people only look for games that are about to end... (not playing game)

Others will start and build

--- New system ---

People looking for specific map cant anymore they hit join game... (Playing game)

People looking for games about to end.. cant anymore .. hit join game (Playing game)

People wanting to build hit create game

So the Old system you have people sitting around in menu's not playing the game.. generally means less funz

If you want to stop people from sniping games that are about to end, don't display the wave number in the game browser. Very easy fix.

Old system:

People looking at game browser, waiting for their favorite map.

New system:

People disconnecting, G'ing through until they get their favorite map.

I think this random map selection is a major step back. At the higher difficulties, it often takes several attempts to beat a map for the first time. If I am refining a build, I don't want to be playing random maps. I want to keep playing the same map, tweaking things here and there until I get something that works. I also want a chance to get better gear during these failures. As I'm typing here, I'm trying to get a specific map that I've been practicing in C5 (solo). I've G'ed through ~7 times already (edit: closer to 15 times now) and haven't gotten the map that I want. It's frustrating.

@Goofio quote:

If you want to stop people from sniping games that are about to end, don't display the wave number in the game browser. Very easy fix.

Old system:

People looking at game browser, waiting for their favorite map.

New system:

People disconnecting, G'ing through until they get their favorite map.

I think this random map selection is a major step back. At the higher difficulties, it often takes several attempts to beat a map for the first time. If I am refining a build, I don't want to be playing random maps. I want to keep playing the same map, tweaking things here and there until I get something that works. I also want a chance to get better gear during these failures. As I'm typing here, I'm trying to get a specific map that I've been practicing in C5 (solo). I've G'ed through ~7 times already (edit: closer to 15 times now) and haven't gotten the map that I want. It's frustrating.

But you see if people are sitting waiting for the map they want.. it means they are not playing.. less people playing means less people to actually play with.. Trendy want people to be able to play with each other.. thats the whole point of this system.. If DD2 had a massive population there wouldnt be a need for this kind of thing.. Sadly DD2 population is Tiny ... last i looked around 1.1k people playing at once... which is actually pretty pathetic..

Australia you look at the game browser there is 0 games running on any map most of the day.. occasionally you get a couple of games.. its because people are sitting looking at the browser and not actually playing.. if people look at the browser and see NO games at all the game becomes unfun... Setup a system where you either create the game or attempt to join someones game there is more chance of being placed with another player.. and that system is working perfectly right now.. they have nailed it .. it tries to fill already running games first.. then attempts to make a new game with remaining players in the queue.

If you give people the choice to select what map they want you are dividing your player base between ALL available maps.. so before where the player base was divided by 21 Maps per difficulty we are now down to 5 per difficulty bunching up all the players into bigger groups..

You may not like it.. but this is actually quite healthy for the game because people that are not playing the game are not having fun.. yeah it sucks if you want a specific map.. Practice mode is there for that reason pity the look drops suck there but oh well cant have it both ways other wise the trials system would fail.. More people actually playing the game means they might tell their friends hey this is cool come join me..

The trials system is also there to help newer players get into the end game.. people like us (NM4 + gold starter) can help carry the newbs till they get gear.. they can see decent builds and then work off that to complete levels on their own or even eventually help carry the next generation into the game... again you need more players per group for this system to work.. DD2's tutorials are pretty bad (if they even exist...)

TLDR, DD2 has tiny population Trendy is working on ways to get players actually playing and together this wont change unless we get more players into the game.

it would bother me if there were map specific rewards, since there are not its nearly all the same to me. though i think some of the trial "map packs" should be closer in build difficulity, for example throne room vs new glitherhelm caverns (cant remember name :)

@BorchTrzyKawki quote:

though i think some of the trial "map packs" should be closer in build difficulity, for example throne room vs new glitherhelm caverns (cant remember name :)

I disagree, because what if someones breaking into a new difficulty and there is no easy map options in the pack? Though I can almost garantee Trendy is just randomly mixing maps, and there is no plan into creating a balanced playlist of maps in each map pack.

I would like the option of being able to select a map you like every 3 or so maps out of the set of trials. this would be nice so you can play your favorite or simply play one that never rolls. But that aint going to happen :D

@Zimmermann quote:

I disagree, because what if someones breaking into a new difficulty and there is no easy map options in the pack? Though I can almost garantee Trendy is just randomly mixing maps, and there is no plan into creating a balanced playlist of maps in each map pack.

For now they might be randomly mixing the maps.. but thats because i reckon they have only done the spawns for a few of them.. thats why you see both versions of Ramps/Throne room alot ;) we wont get a different roster of maps till they work these ones out properly and then work on the next lot..