Sign in to follow this  
supergeek22

Is item acquisition in the update less RNG or more?

I'm currently in C2 trying to farm for C3, and I'm seeing a disquieting trend. I've got 18 hero specific shards to drop, and 10 have been for the 2 heroes I don't have. I play mostly with one other friend and they are having similar troubles, though I don't know the specific numbers. This is a huge buzzkill on an otherwise awesome update. I suggest increasing the droprate of hero specific shards for the heroes in your deck, and making it so shards don't drop for heroes you don't have. I really hope that I've just been extremely unlucky and the drop rate isn't actually higher for heroes not owned by the player. It's extremely frustrating to be trying to farm and getting so many shards that don't even apply. 

Pertaining more generally to the title of the post, does anyone have a feel for how many passives there were and what the chances were for getting the right combo compared with how many hero specific shards there are now and the chances of getting a specific one?

Loot (and consequently, progress) is much more random now, in my opinion.  Before the update, you could buy skill spheres (passives) with gold.  Now you have to pray to the RNG gods at the end of each map.  I prefer the skill spheres.  I mean, yes, a few passives were obtained from random drops, but the vast majority were from skill spheres.

The shard RNG is probably the same as getting perfect NM4 gears with perfect passives before. However, the gear acquisition is much more better now and far less RNG for that. Since the progression is based on your gears' ipw (shard do not count when the game looks at your ipw to generate new loot), progression should have a lot less RNG. Most of the early shards aren't that important, exception for the range shard (chaos 1) and the defense rate shard (chaos 3). The game is still possible without them, but is much easier if you get them. 

It is more.

Gear drops are far rarer now and getting quality ones seems rarer as well.

You also have to deal with various forms of mystery gating of gear.

@Murb quote:

It is more.

Gear drops are far rarer now and getting quality ones seems rarer as well.

You also have to deal with various forms of mystery gating of gear.

Its not all that mysterious, you can get better gear then your current gear on all your heroes in your character deck, if you put on that gear you will get even better gear untill you reach a cap in the current difficulty.

It feels more RNG in the short term, but with how shards work I'm confident it'll feel less RNG later on since whatever 'power' we farm now sort of stays with us forever.  Unlike gear where the time we sink into farming it helps us only in so much as getting into the next tier only to replace it all