Sign in to follow this  
SoK | Kitty Cat

Apprentice Builds/Frosts?

So with the way the endgame update works, how is it suggested to build up an Apprentice for building, and what stats do I want on my frosts? Shard suggestions besides the obvious dual-attack frost shard that you can get from chaos? What about increasing Flamethrower range at the cost of DP with the Ascension upgrades?

There's the flamethrower shard, % chance to deal 180% damage only on flamethrowers is one shard that you really can't live without. Secondary is the range shard. With the range shard in, the flamethrowers have a strong enough range, you don't really need to gimp it further. From there it's just positioning.

As for a third shard, you might look at def power, or attack speed. I have played with this a bit, seemed to be pretty normalized between the two shards.

As for frosties, if you can't afford Mystic (her traps are bonkers, especially for current state of C5), frosties have a shard which freezes the enemy (40% chance or something, it's insane). Not sure if this is only a C5 drop, but I found mine in C5, but I had already transitioned to Mystic.

If you need further help, I can try to meet you in game sometime show you what I do on the sewers in C5

Frostbite Towers:

• Empowered Frostbite (freeze)
  • Frosty Duet (duel beams)
  • Deadly Strikes (range)
  • Ascension points into Slow 20/20 slow, 20/20 speed, rest into Frosty Health
  • Relic - Totem Defense Health, Defense spead, anything.

Flamethrowers:

I am not 100% on flamethrowers as I stopped using them once I got a ranged shard in C4 so I could use Fire Auras, and I only ever had Defense power/health shards in my blue 2 slot medallion.

But I guess I would suggest:

• Deadly Strikes (range)
  • Destruction (Defense power)
  • Vampiric Empowerment** (60% of defense health to Defense power *reliant on what relic you have)
  • Empowered Flame** (15% chance at 180% damage)
  • Ascension point: Defense: 20/20 Speed, rest into Flamethrower Defense Power. Utility: 50/50 range, 20/20 crit, rest into Defense Crit Damage.
  • Relic - Medallian Defense Power, Defense Speed, Defense Health.

*Obviously Vampiric Empowerment is only any good if you have Defense health on your relic.

**Vampiric Empowerment and Empowered Flame would need to be DPS checked on the boss target dummies to see which is better. I have not tested them, but I would put money on Vampiric Empowerment out performing Empowered Flame.

Disclaimer:

Only just starting farming C5 (still skipping bastille), and still feeling like a massive noob, so I could be way off the mark regarding flamethrowers. I am pretty confident I am right about frostbite towers though.

Thanks for suggestions and advice. Currently it's just a little disheartening that I went from being able to do NM3 to not even being able to solo C3, so I'm trying to figure out how to start building differently. I bought Dryad because I love Terraria, but apparently it seems she wasn't the best buy, especially now that she was nerfed. I would definitely appreciate seeing some build strategies though since it'd help me benchmark where I stand.

@SoK | Kitty Cat quote:

Thanks for suggestions and advice. Currently it's just a little disheartening that I went from being able to do NM3 to not even being able to solo C3, so I'm trying to figure out how to start building differently. I bought Dryad because I love Terraria, but apparently it seems she wasn't the best buy, especially now that she was nerfed. I would definitely appreciate seeing some build strategies though since it'd help me benchmark where I stand.

I went from NM4 to failing and struggling in C3, I farmed for a while in C2.  Don't think of it as a step down, because if you had all the shards you would be whopping C3 just like you did NM3.

Its a reset to the game at some level, so just farm up those shards in C1 or even spam harbinger campeign easy with an EV2 proton beam char to get some fast XP and collect the basic shards.

You are not sucking, the game is harder and you have lost most of your tools, enjoy the fresh experience :)

Flamethrowers don't really need the range, even on C5. Just takes better placement but obviously range is viable too, it can be seen as a dps increase.
I roll with: MEDALLION - Power + speed/health
  • Destruction (power)
  • Vampiric Empowerment (Hp to power conversion
  • Fire rate 25% (to be replaced with Empowered flame once I get it xD)

Zim hit it perfect with the frosties :D

Destruction and Vampiric Empowerment should get you through the game if you upgrade your medalion at each difficulty. Once you hit C4 You may run across a Defence rate shard which will make your towers hit even faster which goes good with things like empowerment and water elemental, but that is gamble dps but it can come with high rewards when your attack rate is so low, you will also need allot of ascension points to make up for not using a range shard :P deadly strikes makes everything easier, but if you max the ascension gambit you shouldn't need it, atleast for flames which allows more dmg yeee haww afk mode.

it seems with how DU is split up u get about 3to4 flamethrowers per lane and possible frost tower, or 3 rams per lane. sometimes to push to next difficulty it may take not having defence in a lane to actually progress and just have a wall and use a hero.  There really isn't much strategy to the game, if you know the build is viable its just about getting the stats and positioning your towers better and better with trial and error, its very hard to make mistakes with so little options (unless your into gimping yourself and losing maps and not being rewarded).

Always upgrade frosty towers if you decide to use them when maxed they are beyond godlike but they are not needed. If you manage to make it to c5 and have empowered frostbite that would be the only time id say to use frosty duet, even on another mage just to build a "Safe space" to kite assassins into and slay them.

If you have a range shard and abyss lord, id probably use ramsters instead tbh, its just all around easier, brute force build, find the best section of a lane, build it 1-2 walls 2-3 ramsters gg. no muck around.

Don't be disheartened current c3 would be like nm7. C1 would be old nm3

@SoK | Kitty Cat quote:

So do I seriously just have to depend on RNG for getting decent shards? I keep getting garbage or things for classes I don't have.

The entire loot system in all DD games were always based on RNG though. Just keep trying, I just got my first ranged shard as well.

@Robolord quote:

@SoK | Kitty Cat quote:

So do I seriously just have to depend on RNG for getting decent shards? I keep getting garbage or things for classes I don't have.

The entire loot system in all DD games were always based on RNG though. Just keep trying, I just got my first ranged shard as well.

Well, in the original though you could trade equips which made it a bit nicer if you and a friend were trying to get equips.