List of bad/useless towers + reasons.

Here is a list of towers that need a buff or rework in my opinion. Feel free to comment or add your own list.

I don't own EV2 and Abyss Lord. And I'm starting from the best to the worst.

• Earthshatter tower (Apprentice) : DPS and range are fine but aiming and AoE are terrible. DU cost is really high if you compare to stuffs like Obelisk, Volcano or Nimbus.

• Oil geyser : It's aiming is really awful. It is really slow, and will proc at the moment a monster enters its range, meaning most of the time it will hit just one guy and let every others go freely. Range and delayed detonation could help.

• Huntress Traps : They have less range, less DPS and less utility than other traps. Fissure of embermount or weapon manufacturer are WAY BETTER than any huntress trap.

• Lightning strike Aura : Did someone have any success with this ? I don't even know how to try, because of slow it is. It's nuke doesn't seem stronger than any AoE not EMP targetable towers. 

• Cannonball tower : A weak single target DPS tower with no range.

• Sand viper : This is useless. The DPS is awful.

• Ballista : I don't know what happened to the range of this tower. The shields from C1 were overkill enough, now this is one of the most useless towers in the game, and I don't mention its DU cost.

As a sidenote, I'd like to add that we don't have enough anti-aerial options atm. Skyguard, PDT or Nimbus, and none of them is doing a great job, mostly because of aiming issues.

I think that single target towers should do far more damage than AoE. With the massive number of monsters, I don't see any reason to use anything other than AoE towers, especially when single target DPS isn't even stronger.

Well here are My personal opinions on some of the towers 

Sky guard tower- The Slow effect is nice but the towers often can't kill flyers well. For 50 DU they don't feel like it. And many times you will get lanes with LOTS OF FLYERs that overwhelm the sky guard 

Frost tower- slow effect is useless even with passives and the range is too small to utilize it well 

Volcano - very weak for the 100 du cost and the range got majorly merged so it's even less effective than before . And it can't bypass shields like the nimbus can

Obelisk- Great damage however it gets wonky with enemy heights and when you need to kill a particular enemy it will prioritize other enemies outside its priority arc. It is also persistent in targeting and can't be taken off a target unless you move it far away

Frosty Tower is awesome even without the range shard. Upgrading this tower is my priority now.

I am using it with the Frosty Duet its critical to my build and I cannot wait to test it with Fire auras + Range shard.

I'd like to give a special shoutout to Blaze Balloons with their asinine 80 DU cost while not just having an extremely small AoE now, but also not even really being any better than two towers you can easily fit into that cost.

LOL.  Just wait until people start hitting ascension 500 and beyond.  All these towers you say are garbage will have time in the sun.  

@aseh?! quote:

LOL.  Just wait until people start hitting ascension 500 and beyond.  All these towers you say are garbage will have time in the sun.  

That's like saying every class in Diablo 3 is equally balanced because you can get infinite of your main stat from Paragon levels.

It doesn't really work that way at all. Making something useable from the levels is probably still going to be worse than what already performs better since those towers can get the benefits too.

@Akutare quote:

@aseh?! quote:

That's like saying every class in Diablo 3 is equally balanced because you can get infinite of your main stat from Paragon levels.

It doesn't really work that way at all. Making something useable from the levels is probably still going to be worse than what already performs better since those towers can get the benefits too.

Also that is like saying "go beat your face against that wall until you can break it. You might be able to break that wall, but will all the pain of doing that be fun or worth it?

Can you guys tell me about your useless towers of if you did manage to use one that I mentioned ?

I'd love to try something else, Flamethrower/Nimbus spam is boring already.

@NeedtoDie quote:

Can you guys tell me about your useless towers of if you did manage to use one that I mentioned ?

I'd love to try something else, Flamethrower/Nimbus spam is boring already.

Frostys are amazing with some awesome shards.

Fire auras are fantastic, and I think LSA's might be good too, just not had the time, gear or shards to test out how they scale. Auras with range are untouchable in so far as being destroyed, they just are not the best damage.

Right now Goedes seem a bit strong, so not sure how you can counter them for better use of cannons and ballistas.

The major problem with this entire post is you are judging everything without shards, or sub optimal information and knowledge of the game, as none of us know that much about it yet. Rather then saying everything is terrible, just gear up, play, collect shards and then see if things still suck.

Edit** so I just found out that sand traps disable goedes (its obvious I know, just didnt think of it as i dont have a mystic) and they also have massive range so proably can be placed out of range of EMP orcs. So with that said, cannons are stun machines also, with a 30% 4s stun + a 25% chance at a heavy cannon ball that pierces 10 enemies stunning each one for 4s.
With sand traps and cannons one could have some series stun locking, and then just use some AOE towers to clear them all out.

Heroes should be 30% of a map, towers 70%.

The game has been sort of... improved... but Trendy lived up to their MO and botched something and that something is towers.

basically every trap aura or projectile tower is bad from chaos 3 on

Traps and Auras are the worst since you can't really use them due to the siege roller in any difficulty

It's easier to make a list of what's not useless.

• Flamethrower
  • Frostbite
  • Boost Aura
  • Buff Beam
  • Skeletal Ramster
  • Angry Nimbus
  • World Tree

haven't tried Obelisk or Volcano since the update, they might make the list but I'm not sure.

Everything else not listed = useless, because it is one of the following:

• A Trap - Because it gets disabled by EMP Orcs or Destroyed by a Siege Roller and the Radius is much too small to work around Siege Rollers
  • An Aura - They have enough radius to work around Siege Rollers, but they still get disabled by EMP Orcs
  • A Node Defense - They have enough range to work around Siege Rollers, but they still get disabled by EMP Orcs
  • A Projectile Tower - Because of Shield Goblins & Geodes.
  • A Blockade - All other blockades costs 5x mana to upgrade than World Tree

@Matthew7991 quote:

Traps and Auras are the worst since you can't really use them due to the siege roller in any difficulty

I am using auras and SGT's as my only source of damage (excluding walls) in C4 and C5. Progression is slow in C5 due to kinda meh damage (missing some key shards to boost my damage) and My squire still doesn't have enough life to sustain multiple assassin attacks, but I know I am doing something wrong with him and if i change my strategy I should be ok.

@Zimmermann quote:
@Matthew7991 quote:

I am using auras and SGT's as my only source of damage (excluding walls) in C4 and C5. Progression is slow in C5 due to kinda meh damage (missing some key shards to boost my damage) and My squire still doesn't have enough life to sustain multiple assassin attacks, but I know I am doing something wrong with him and if i change my strategy I should be ok.

If all of your damage is from Auras, how do you manage to kill anything when an EMP Orc comes out?

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:
@Zimmermann quote:
@Matthew7991 quote:

If all of your damage is from Auras, how do you manage to kill anything when an EMP Orc comes out?

Range shard and trying to max out range in ascension, though only about half way there so far. My Fire Auras are almost the size of the old SA (without Sphere Gambit) LOL

[[150185,users]]

I think that every tower should be viable (except if countered) for new players. Shards should introduce us to the late game, where you need to optimize your build to win.

That's why I'm talking about base strength. Right now, I feel that base strength of single target towers is garbage.

@Zimmermann quote:

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:
@Zimmermann quote:
@Matthew7991 quote:

Range shard and trying to max out range in ascension, though only about half way there so far. My Fire Auras are almost the size of the old SA (without Sphere Gambit) LOL

Well you know that range shards are extremly rare i farmed over 50 maps in chaos trials 1 and still got not a single one.
I really would like to see your build it sounds really interresting but what do you do against the siege rollers ? Do you just kill them early enough i mean on some maps thats not really an option due to the short lenght of the lane

@Matthew7991 quote:

I really would like to see your build it sounds really interresting but what do you do against the siege rollers ? Do you just kill them early enough i mean on some maps thats not really an option due to the short lenght of the lane

Siege Rollers are like the EMP Orcs 7 year old younger brother with a wiffle bat. Rollers go down the center of the lane with a very narrow path where they will destroy defenses, while EMP orc's will disable defenses up to 1 meter outside the edge of the path..... they completely crush any hopes of using small radius ground defenses, though with that said I am hearing a lot of good things about sand traps (they might stun them before they disable the auras (not tested)).

Anyway what I do is build my ground defenses 1.5 meters outside the edge of the lanes, which is a problem on some maps or terrain like bridges or lanes with a cliff/ravine on one side. I just have massive auras.

I have 99 Ascension levels, to get that I did 2 Chaos IV Trials, 2 Chaos II Trials, and all the rest is from Chaos I Trials. I've never seen a range shard.

@aseh?! quote:

Ascension levels should be the equivalent of being able to wear one more piece of gear to allow that little bit more crit chance, not what makes a character strong and without them you are weak.  They should be a slight bump, not the overall goal.