Making Shards stackable

@Drathmar K quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

Shards should be stackable in a spell book not in your bags.

How it works:

• Spell Book: Price 5000 Medals or XX Gems.
  • When shards are found they are then stored in your Spell Book. 
  • After finding 5 of the same shard type you receive an Achievement and a reward.
  • The Achievement and reward: Allows you to buy a "scroll of (shard name)" for 500 Medals or XX Gems. This scroll allows you to learn the shards secrets meaning you no longer need to find additional shards of that type to use its power, as you now have it permanently stored in your spell book.

you had me at "stored in spell book"

only downside to this, is it would be a whole new system and could take months to implement, not to mention it would be an "undo" on the whole shard system, which is unlikely as vested as they are months into it now

Shards stacking up to 99x, shouldn't really be that hard to implement, it already exists in inventory, probably just a flag change on an item DB table

yeah I agree there. But shards would remain the same in my system, the only difference would be that once you have identified them you have the option to alt click them and send them to your spell book.

@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

• After finding 5 of the same shard type you receive an Achievement and a reward.
  • The Achievement and reward: Allows you to buy a "scroll of (shard name)" for 500 Medals or XX Gems. This scroll allows you to learn the shards secrets meaning you no longer need to find additional shards of that type to use its power, as you now have it permanently stored in your spell book.

I dig the general idea of a Shard Book.

@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

Locking the spellbook behind a medal/gem wall is a bit of a butt move in my opinion.

Still, I like the idea, but some shards would requiree more than 5 of the same one. It's not the same getting 5 of the defense power ones than 5 betsy thingy ones.

@Nefhith quote:
@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

Locking the spellbook behind a medal/gem wall is a bit of a butt move in my opinion.

Still, I like the idea, but some shards would requiree more than 5 of the same one. It's not the same getting 5 of the defense power ones than 5 betsy thingy ones.

The way I see locking content behind medals and gems is; its a way add a small amount of revenue for trendy. At the end of the day, its a free game and anything behind a medal "pay wall" is obtainable by all players with time and patience, while adding the gem option it allows those who want to pay that option and giving a small amount of money to trendy in the process.

As far as I know the only money they really make that matters is skins and bags. The more money they make hopefully the better the game can do.

But you could also have a modular spell book, so a basic "campaign book" for free, then a small price for Chaos 1 allowing you to add Chaos 1 shards to your book, and so on. With the final tier being the most expensive.

A shard spell book sounds good. I'm not sure the best way to implement it, but something has to be done...and not a year from now.

I'm up to C7 now, and even if I only collect one of each shard, I'm still filling 4 bags and I don't have all the shards yet. You need several duplicates of some hero and defense shards as well. Also, more shards will be released in future chaos tiers. Where do we put our loot?

Also, farming for shards is not all equal. Most shards only require to be found once. However, there are several that you need many of, like the defense shards that work on all towers. It's bad enough grinding for one of a particular shard, but several of a particular shard requires many hours of hair pulling RNG badness!

@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

Absolutely agree, this is a great concept. I like the idea of the 5000 medals or shards, as this gives a rev source like you said. Hell for a book like this I wouldn't mind it costing 10k medals. To me that is just as worth the grind as a hero. Two things u would offer as options. After unlocking 5 of x shard you can purchase that shard individually from the vendor. For that part I would reconsider is the cost after finding 5 of x type. I don't think campaign shards should cost the same as say C7 shards. That is another potential source of rev and a good reason to grind.

@raiden7447 quote:

A shard spell book sounds good. I'm not sure the best way to implement it, but something has to be done...and not a year from now.

I'm up to C7 now, and even if I only collect one of each shard, I'm still filling 4 bags and I don't have all the shards yet. You need several duplicates of some hero and defense shards as well. Also, more shards will be released in future chaos tiers. Where do we put our loot?

Also, farming for shards is not all equal. Most shards only require to be found once. However, there are several that you need many of, like the defense shards that work on all towers. It's bad enough grinding for one of a particular shard, but several of a particular shard requires many hours of hair pulling RNG badness!

spell book idea is nice, but i totally agree with raiden, even with max bag capacity it's still hard to find space for the shards you earn, when would this new feature come along?

Here is my visualization of mentioned spell-book system. Idea is to have one, scrollable page with all the shards, list like in dd2tool, but after clicking a shard, you will have "table" of all available levels of upgrades, this is simply for leave upgr system as it is (there has to be medal/gold sink in every game), so if you will get 50 shards of same kind and dont up them, you will see number 50 in first slot, after upgrading one, you will have number 49 (num of unupped shards of this kind) and one shard will move to next slots based on upgrade levels. So you will have something like internal stacking on every shard based on up levels.

And ofc there should be filters and sorting on such screen and while equipping a shard, user should use this screen as default screen. I really like the idea for such feature to cost 5k medals for example. 

I would gladly pay for such system 5-10k medals!

shard-inventory.jpg

two things I really like about Czokalapik's design is:

A. that it shows the information on the screen without having to mouse over the shards to see what they are, meaning it would be much faster to for players to scan their inventory

B. The shards "should" be in the same place each time and we wouldn't have to guess which bag the shard is in to go find it

The real reason something will need to be done ultimately about shards is that there are still more they are going to release and if you eventually wanted to have 2 full different sets of shards for four characters you'd have over 100 shards that weren't equipped.  Of course you could have them all stored on alternate armor pieces but even that is 36 inventory slots and an even bigger pain to try and sort/find them. 

While I think shards were preferable to having to get armor to drop with perfect passives they exploded the inventory problem and hopefully can be moved out of our normal inventories before they bury us all.

I hope they go with an idea similar to Czokalapik's design but they at least need to address it somehow because I'm assuming shards are taking up more inventory space than intended.