Making Shards stackable

Dear Defenders,

over the past few days I've had the chance to play ~10 hours of the new update. I have been farming campaign for some valuable shards and I am now moving to Trials. (I know Campaing Shards also drop there)
There is one big problem I've run into: Bag Space

Luckily I purchased enough bagspace pre-trials so that I have 9 total bags. Yet I have accumulated so many shards that I have two bags of them already. With the shards from Ch1 - Ch3 I am expecting to have at least four bags full of shards. I am that type of player that tends to hoard items for potential later use. 

So I really have just one subtle request: Please make shards stackable.

I am posting this in 'General Discussions' because I want other players opionions on this topic. Do you think the same way as I do?

Best regards, P(insert swedish number here)
See you in game! :-)

No dont make them stackable.. Make a permenant unlock like spheres.. remove them from the inventory altogether

Pick up a shard use it to unlock it in your library.. you can then use that shard as many times as you like.. once its upgraded its done.. much better system. Its already there from last update.. the Sphere library..

I really second that stacking. I personally dislike the "Unlocking" idea of shards when once found. you should really grind for the best of the shards as kind of goal for this new Traisl Season. 

But i guess that with the stacking one would run into the problem on how to depicture and/or group same shards of different levels, or would only shards of the säme level stack? It would definitely add a better overview over the own shards as i already have to search for that destruction within that (now deleted) "Press your luck" and "Panic Fire" Shards.  :)

@R-Kane quote:

No stacking please. Sorry but I don't agree that shards should stack. It makes the game harder to balance

I really dont get your balance worries ? We want that in the item menu (for example) 10 Worm Scarf Shards would only take up one item slot (with an idicator that says that you have 10 pieces of that shard) instead of currently 10 items slots due to the limited bag space. 

You quoted me way too quickly. I did change my reply before you responded. I originally misunderstood and thought you were asking for shards to stack in effect, (like having 34% power * 3).

When i responded to your quoted respond your text (at least for me) did still stand there. But i dont really see an issue as for me it was all resolved as your disagreement was due to a misunderstatement. Or do you want me to edit the post then i can do that at any time ?

Lol, no need. It will teach me to read threads properly before registering an opinion :p

I think unlocking the shards cube style would take to much grind out of the game. The entire end game hinges on farming shards pretty much. +1 for stacking

@LJMjollnir quote:

No dont make them stackable.. Make a permenant unlock like spheres.. remove them from the inventory altogether

Pick up a shard use it to unlock it in your library.. you can then use that shard as many times as you like.. once its upgraded its done.. much better system. Its already there from last update.. the Sphere library..

That would be the smart thing to do.

But if they do not want to do that at the very least make shards at lvl 0 and max lvl all stack on top each other.

@Pegazul quote:

I think unlocking the shards cube style would take to much grind out of the game. The entire end game hinges on farming shards pretty much. +1 for stacking

Is grind a good thing tho ?... I dont mind so much if there is an end goal that i can choose.. but something random that in some cases may never happen at all, to me that is a bad grind.

Example of a good grind.. you collect a currency you can buy something with it might take forever but you know at some point you will be able to reach the goal (DM's - Pet Eggs).. right now DD2 does NOT have this (for shards).. we are fighting an RNG boss and some people have the absolute worst luck ever ;)

Now i dont think i mentioned it in this post.. but in at aleast one other post i said maybe they could add a counter so every time you unlock the shard you can use it 1 extra time.. still gives people that "grind"... Taking up bag space is not a good feeling.. specially since all the icons looks very similar and there is no quick sorting tool..

Even if Shards stack in the bag you will still need over 5 full bags to collect every shard. at $7 a bag thats $35 just for shards alone half the price of a AAA title... and we are only talking about the bags required for shards.....

Shards need to be removed from the Bags and put into their own library be it unlimited uses per shard or a count i dont really care.. i personally would perfer unlimited as it allows you do to some interesting things..

*You would no longer need to remove shards from gear when upgrading or selling...

*Towers could hold the shards with relic slots just being an enabler for the shards on the towers themselves..

*The UI for selecting shards wouldnt need to display all the duplicates (unlimted also means once upgraded its always going to be max)

* a nice UI showing all the available shards so you could see what ones you are missing

Throw them into the "shard chest". A chest that allows you to have, idk, 16x of each stack, so each one of them can have an individual ammount of upgrades. Picking up another shard when you already have the max ammount of these shards (not counting the ones on the equipment) gives one level to whatever shard you want (maybe allow us to select a shard to automatically fuse with the ones you pick?).

The chest can only be accessed in the tavern (to fill space from the NPCs removed) to manage your shards, just like you do with pets. Could have tabs and sub-menus (hero/tower, under hero: squire/monk/huntress..., same goes for towers, and when you select a hero it shows the shards for that hero's towers or abilities).

It could work like the enchantress. You throw a piece of equipment there, it allows you to put shards in/out.

This way you don't have to overgrind, it doesn't eat up bag space, mitigates the gold sink newest players have to face (upgrading via sacrificing other shards or gold. One way won't allow you to get more of that shard, the other makes you pay gold if you need more of that particular shard). Also well-sorted inventory. 16 of a specific shard + whatever you equip on heroes is way more than what you need, so there's that.

I kind of like the unlock idea especially if duplicate drops are eliminated, because it would guarantee you get the one you want in a finite amount of time.  However I do think that you should put more effort in those shards you want multiple of.

Instead of unlocking I'd like there to be some way to convert unwanted shards to more desirable ones.  Maybe shards could yield a special currency when sold, which could then be used to buy whatever shards you want from a vendor.

Stacking is also a nice idea but it's problematic with individual upgrade levels of shards.  Maybe you could only stack shards of the same upgrade level.

Please add stacking, all this shards is getting out of controll. 

How about letting us fuse shards so farming multiples of them won't be pointless. Fusing shards will enable us to enhance the effect. Similar to how we upgrade towers, let us upgrade the shards. 

@Deathrow quote:

How about letting us fuse shards so farming multiples of them won't be pointless. Fusing shards will enable us to enhance the effect. Similar to how we upgrade towers, let us upgrade the shards. 

No this is a terrible idea.. because if they work on this.. they will make it the only way to upgrade shards which in turn means loads more farming for the shard you want to upgrade... worst idea ever..

@LJMjollnir quote:

thats exactly what ive been thinking to myself!

would be so convinient

• 2 months later...

@Deathrow quote:

this would be cool but I'm not sure we need more dmg, I would be happy with some sanity restored to our inventory

although I think moving it back to how spheres were would be more preferable for me as well, currently spheres waste so much of my inventory space

Shards should be stackable in a spell book not in your bags.

How it works:

• Spell Book: Price 5000 Medals or XX Gems.
  • When shards are found they are then stored in your Spell Book. 
  • After finding 5 of the same shard type you receive an Achievement and a reward.
  • The Achievement and reward: Allows you to buy a "scroll of (shard name)" for 500 Medals or XX Gems. This scroll allows you to learn the shards secrets meaning you no longer need to find additional shards of that type to use its power, as you now have it permanently stored in your spell book.

@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

• After finding 5 of the same shard type you receive an Achievement and a reward.
  • The Achievement and reward: Allows you to buy a "scroll of (shard name)" for 500 Medals or XX Gems. This scroll allows you to learn the shards secrets meaning you no longer need to find additional shards of that type to use its power, as you now have it permanently stored in your spell book.

I think this is a pretty neat idea

@Zimmermann quote:

How it works:

you had me at "stored in spell book"

only downside to this, is it would be a whole new system and could take months to implement, not to mention it would be an "undo" on the whole shard system, which is unlikely as vested as they are months into it now

Shards stacking up to 99x, shouldn't really be that hard to implement, it already exists in inventory, probably just a flag change on an item DB table