Sign in to follow this  
Szymczi

Mobs ignoring walls...

99% of my losses have been because a single mob decided to scoot past a wall and one-shot the crystal.

I´m probably a minority here, but I actually like it when the mobs go rogue and surprise me like that. Keeps me on my toes.

Agreed. I hate when you're doing great, but then a mob gets pushed past your walls for whatever reason and 1 shots the crystal before you can react. A lot of mobs ignore the walls completely and actively try and squeeze through any gaps between or beside them. The only wall that slows them down enough that this doesn't happen is the Earth Drake, due to it's size, health, and helpful ability, But those things are too costly to fill a map with them, especially the larger maps with 8+ lanes. Quite frustrating, that's been the cause of most of my losses.

I've seen mobs walk past a wall just to turn around and start attacking it, as though they forgot the wall was there and are thinking "oops, best pretend I didn't walk through it."

Yes they do that but that's been a bug since I started playing about a year ago so it's not like it's new.

Since i started walling like in DD1, meaning you place as many walls as you need to block the lane so you cant run through anywhere with your char, i dont have this problem anymore, only flyers and skeletons that spawn behind my walls surprisewipe me now.

@Jothi92 quote:

Since i started walling like in DD1, meaning you place as many walls as you need to block the lane so you cant run through anywhere with your char, i dont have this problem anymore, only flyers and skeletons that spawn behind my walls surprisewipe me now.

Thats fine.. but DU limits really hinder doing this...

The actual problem is the amount of trash mobs are in the game right now.. its too crowded and this often causes issues.. add in a pinch of lag and wonky things happen ;)... i think Trendy need to understand flooding a zone with tons of trash mobs isnt the best way of doing it.. reduce the number of trash heaps and up their health slightly and half of these issues will probably go away..

Had this same issue with 6 Chaos4 maps, and 5 more that an invisible mob or Javelin Thrower 1 hits the crystal. =\

Yep happen to me too today, did the same map like 5 times in a row in C4 but the last time, a skeleton boss was like " nop don't care" and walked up over my wall

I've had this problem quite a lot with in a couple of cases the mobs not walking around the walls but instead walking over the walls. And if you are solo and trying to deal with a siege roller, even if you see the mob walking over your defenses its too late to do anything before they one hit your crystal.

@MaJean quote:

I´m probably a minority here, but I actually like it when the mobs go rogue and surprise me like that. Keeps me on my toes.

You should had been here when defenses were smaller and ogres were walking on top of walls like nothing was there, or when Malthius got introduced, he was summoning skeletons directly below the main core in the Greystone plaza (only aoe could kill them) destroying the core in seconds without anyone knowing what just happened.

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/143171/ignoring-walls

Plagiarism !

@MaJean quote:

Good luck reacting fast in maps like Bastille... Mobs spawn just next to crystals, and lanes are SO FAR from each other.

If u build properly mobs cant pass. maybe u didnt cover all of the lane so the mobs walk by or you use a taunt shard. That makes them clip over walls sometimes because they are clumping up. Test the wall yourself. if u can pass the wall the mobs should also be able to pass the wall. In about 100+ games i had 1 orc passing my walls and that was when i rebuilt a wall and didnt check again if i can pass it. But the blame the mechanic attitude seems to be standard in this fourm.

@Samoth quote:

If u build properly mobs cant pass. maybe u didnt cover all of the lane so the mobs walk by or you use a taunt shard. That makes them clip over walls sometimes because they are clumping up. Test the wall yourself. if u can pass the wall the mobs should also be able to pass the wall. In about 100+ games i had 1 orc passing my walls and that was when i rebuilt a wall and didnt check again if i can pass it. But the blame the mechanic attitude seems to be standard in this fourm.

You are wrong.

I don't use taunts.

If I build walls so they can't go between, they walk around, if build them less close, they go between.

There are times they will stay near walls, and others they will act like they don't even care. Placement, mob type and numbers have nothing to do with it.

It happens with goblins, EMC orcs, berserkers, and they can be 3 or 30. Walls can be close, not close, won't change anything.

Just check the videos, you'll see that they just ignore walls. The only solution if to fully block the path, which is IMPOSSIBLE in maps like bastille.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrbziJxoxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CYHfrQKipY

Note that I didn't only try those 2. I tried placing the wall near to crystals, in middle path, I tried other walls like mystic or lavamancer. That won't change anything. Sometimes, one guy will ignore them, period.

Adding my two cents to this, the most notable problem (especially on Chaos 4 and 5) are the lady orcs and cyborg orcs. It might be to do with the movement speed of lady orcs or the targetting preference of Cyborgs for some things over walls, but they make up literally 95% of the mobs that leak through a wall, even if you yourself CANNOT walk around your wall, which should be a good indicator for a wall that is not misplaced.

One thing I've always wondered is why an objective's health doesn't scale with the difficulty. Their health should really go up by 1k-5k or so per Chaos tier at least. I don't expect them to have wall-tier health, but just a little bonus can go a long way.

It's not going to make much difference if a wall killer gets through like the lady orcs, but it should stop it from dying from stray bullets, so to speak.

Since Trendy has decided to make this an ARPG rather than a tower defense game i too find it extremely annoying when i am forced to take action for a Roller at the front of the map only to have an orc or skeleton walk through a wall and smash my crystals.  I started playing this game for the tower defense aspect and am not a fan of the push towards action-rpg.  

I've noticed that the mobs ignore walls only if they stack against walls too tightly.
Only way around this is to get better defense / deal with mob clusters faster.

Go figure.

It's pretty lame how the crystal only withstands one hit in the first place which just magnifies this problem.

I would be fine with occasional mobs slipping past, if the crystal health was buffed so that players could actually notice it getting hit and run over and save it. Right now, at least in higher difficulties, a single small enemy slipping by means instant game-over, which is simply not fun.

Hey guys,

Can you describe or post a screen shot of the situation in which this happens. There is something there that I don't think I can reveal but it may explain what you're seeing. And yes, I know what you're talking about as I've seen it as well.

I will say this though, if an enemy can't target or reach it target, after a bit it will try to go after something else (you can tell because sometimes if it can't get a new target it will just moonwalk in circles).  Including cores if there is a gap in your defenses that it can go through. That is actually something they are able to do.

@Tiamata quote:

It's pretty lame how the crystal only withstands one hit in the first place which just magnifies this problem.

yeah, was never a fan of this myself. Will only get worse if we continue to add difficulties and mobs start to hit harder. Well, maybe one day we can do something about. Like a consumable that boost core health O.o

@LikeThatWhenIGotHere quote:

@Tiamata quote:

yeah, was never a fan of this myself. Will only get worse if we continue to add difficulties and mobs start to hit harder. Well, maybe one day we can do something about. Like a consumable that boost core health O.o

Or different (sub)objective health totals for different difficulties.

*hint hint, nudge nudge*

@LikeThatWhenIGotHere quote:

Hey guys,

Can you describe or post a screen shot of the situation in which this happens. There is something there that I don't think I can reveal but it may explain what you're seeing. And yes, I know what you're talking about as I've seen it as well.

I will say this though, if an enemy can't target or reach it target, after a bit it will try to go after something else (you can tell because sometimes if it can't get a new target it will just moonwalk in circles).  Including cores if there is a gap in your defenses that it can go through. That is actually something they are able to do.

For example bubble wall.

Sometimes enemies land on top of each other and gets pushed on top or past wall.

Straight up trying to walk past walls even if you have place squire blockades right next to each other and they literally overlap.

Lady orc especially when walking down hill they sometimes just walk over your blockade.

I'm sure there is more, it does not feel fair, it feels cheeky and flawed. It's just terrible design if you can never know if a blockade is placed correctly, because right now it doesn't matter how good you place it. Things will try and just walk past it or through it. 

Then you clump mobs together and they start pushing each other past the walls.

Fix this, it is neither fun nor a meaningful challenge. Since it is so god damn random when it happens, since it can happen literally any time, no matter the formation of your walls..