Dear Trendy, ....Wtf ...Why?

Dungeon defenders 1. A glorious game, sold over 250,000 copies in its first 2 weeks. over 1 million in a year, with scores as follows from the games wiki page.

Score
GameRankings83.15% (PC)[14]
80.85% (PS3)[15]
78.40% (X360)[16]
Metacritic81/100 (PC)[17]
80/100 (PS3)[18]
77/100 (X360)[19]
Review scores
PublicationScore
GameSpot6.5/10 (X360)[20]
GameSpy4/5 stars (PC)[21]
GamesRadar7/10 (PC, PS3, X360)[22]
IGN8.5/10 (PC, PS3, X360)[23][24][25]
OXM (US)9.0/10 (X360)[26]
TeamXbox6.5/10 (X360)[27]

.  I need to  know, is this a different team? are these new devs? dd2, had so much potential. but there is no community, no extended lore, no anything here. in the first game we all spent hours upon hours doing the challenge modes, survival modes, collecting pets and costumes from holiday events, a solid campaign with bad ass parent costumes, and now with the trials update, i fear i have officially given up.  Trials destroyed all of the weapons and set ups we had built, my huntress' midas bow does nothing now. it is awful, no slow, and the aoe does less than 1k... my squire no longer needs his harbinger weapons, they do nothing special. nothing. my monk floats on his cloud for a moment and it falls off. this update destroyed the range on all of my abyssal lords pets, but now i can level my ascension to increase it back to where it was? why? pets still suck, and all in all the costumes, while cool, are too expensive to care about.  This is the part where i expect people to tell me not to complain because it is a free game that is still early access. but again, i bought 3 collectors editions for my best friend, my husband, and I the day it became available, and that was almost 2 years ago a i think. the "progress" the devs have made in 2 years is disappointing, and this update feels like you started from scratch, but there is still too little. i loved this series,  over 1,000 hours logged between official and unofficial servers in dd1.  but this? why? how? you have disappointed a very loyal fan. thank you. 

It is safe to say that after two years of early access they don't have any idea what they want to do with the game. They continue to be stubborn and stick with the awful hero deck

For me though I do like that they tried something new with this update and made it so I can have a builder and hero dps on one character instead of two. This is a step in the right direction. However I greatly dislike that they are pulling a Warframe here and are going to perpetually remain in the nice safe "early access" zone so they can take our money and all their bad decisions and mistakes can then be blamed on "hey it's early access this is gonna happen".

I'm slowly losing patience as it's been far too long to be called early access at this point. Like the game has been worked on for 2 years and they just keep stepping forward and then stepping backwards again. They are obsessed with ruining the towers even though it's a tower defense game while they buff the heroes to be stronger than all 1200 DU you get. Annoying.

@PandynatorDD quote:

@TMyth quote:

while they buff the heroes to be stronger than all 1200 DU you get. Annoying.

So bs...

Isn't it just. It's about time Trendy decide what kind of game this is actually going to be. Last Stand or Tower Defense. They clearly don't WANT a hybrid game, because after all this time, the towers are still mostly crap. It's all about the DPS. Don't get me wrong, I love that heroes can finally be both builders and DPS, but now I wonder what the point is thanks to the 'rebalancing' of the game. The tower side is almost completely pointless now, with DPS doing everything. At this point you could probably get away with setting up nothing but walls around the map and having hero DPS do everything.

... But that's not ENTIRELY true. There are a few towers that do something, but they're above and beyond everything else. Like the PDT.

@PandynatorDD quote:

@TMyth quote:

So bs...

Oh sorry. I should be more specific to the 90% of towers that don't do anything but show the enemies what a feather duster feels like. Goes from elemental traps and explosive traps with frosts. To PDT's. To angry nimbus clouds and world trees. Real fun to only ever use one tower to do anything ever. 

@TMyth quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@TMyth quote:

So bs...

Oh sorry. I should be more specific to the 90% of towers that don't do anything but show the enemies what a feather duster feels like. Goes from elemental traps and explosive traps with frosts. To PDT's. To angry nimbus clouds and world trees. Real fun to only ever use one tower to do anything ever. 

Also I'm pretty sure I'm still very much right about hero strength. Or maybe you just haven't touched the gun witch or abyss lord since the update came out. But the abyss lord with standard gear can do 340k dps.. and the gun witch can burst over 700k damage with two spells.. so I don't think I'm exaggerating..

@TMyth quote:

@TMyth quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@TMyth quote:

So bs...

Also I'm pretty sure I'm still very much right about hero strength. Or maybe you just haven't touched the gun witch or abyss lord since the update came out. But the abyss lord with standard gear can do 340k dps.. and the gun witch can burst over 700k damage with two spells.. so I don't think I'm exaggerating..

Monk can apparently do 1mil slams.

It is safe to say that after two years of early access they don't have any idea what they want to do with the game. They continue to be stubborn and stick with the awful hero deck

I don't understand. The hero deck was basically redesigned to be essentially the same thing as splitscreening four heroes when playing alone in DD1 (meaning you can use any of them at any time, and you get EXP for all of them).

So what exactly is so awful about the hero deck in its current state? You can build with all heroes and you can  use four in combat- swapping between them instantly at any time without having to find some object on the map and interact with it. That's more than you could do in DD1. Help me out here, I'm confused.

@Tyroki quote:

@TMyth quote:

@TMyth quote:

@PandynatorDD quote:

@TMyth quote:

So bs...

Monk can apparently do 1mil slams.

pff mystic does huge aoe hit 1m primary attack, monk does up to 4-5m primary.

Nearly ALL heroes can go up in millions with skills too.

Heck even pets do tons of damage, my betsy one likes to spit on bosses with her 2m.

What I'm getting annoyed of dealing with is the fact it seems that we can't have any fun.

I want to play a Traptress or an EV, well with the new chaos update with lots of special enemies that specifically counter those traps/beams and the new Siege roller which just deletes traps and beams. I'm feeling like I don't get to play the way I want to play, I remember in DD1 you were free to do these wonky and crazy builds that could end up working with just about every hero. Here we have heroes with just about EVERY TOWER being useless except for one:

Squire: Spike blockade is about the only useful one, Harpoon shoots too slow but it at least pierces unlike the cannon balls which are just as slow, and the Dummy has NEVER been viable.

Apprentice: Pretty much just flamethrower, I don't really see any others used except maybe now the walls which were buffed to probably be better than spike blockades.

Huntress: Traps are pretty much invalidated due to so many counters against it AND the nerf to them that made their trigger and damage radius the size of a water balloon splash. Leaves just PDTs which were nerfed so I don't even know if they have those anymore. Also lol 80 DU blaze balloons, are you serious?

Monk: Legitimately never seen anyone build anything besides a Sky guard.

It just feels like nothing is viable except for what's best, because otherwise you can't really push progression difficulty without grinding more than normal since you're not using what's considered to be best.

Everything just feels bad, it doesn't feel good to get a new ascension level and see my harpoon able to fire .01s faster. It doesn't feel good to do Chaos 1 after being nightmare 4 before and be stuck in this weird paradox crevice where I have better loot than what's being given but it's hard to push into the next difficulty. It doesn't feel good to play the game in general, with so many anti-player type enemies that outright make some classes useless for no reason other than an attempt to "shake up the meta" which usually ends up railroading into a different meta.

@Akutare quote:

What I'm getting annoyed of dealing with is the fact it seems that we can't have any fun.

I want to play a Traptress or an EV, well with the new chaos update with lots of special enemies that specifically counter those traps/beams and the new Siege roller which just deletes traps and beams. I'm feeling like I don't get to play the way I want to play, I remember in DD1 you were free to do these wonky and crazy builds that could end up working with just about every hero. Here we have heroes with just about EVERY TOWER being useless except for one:

Squire: Spike blockade is about the only useful one, Harpoon shoots too slow but about least pierces unlike the cannon balls which are just as slow, and the Dummy has NEVER been viable.

Apprentice: Pretty much just flamethrower, I don't really see any others used except maybe now the walls which were buffed to probably be better than spike blockades.

Huntress: Traps are pretty much invalidated due to so many counters against it AND the nerf to them that made their trigger and damage radius the size of a water balloon splash. Leaves just PDTs which were nerfed so I don't even know if they have those anymore. Also lol 80 DU blaze balloons, are you serious?

It just feels like nothing is viable except for what's best, because otherwise you can't really push progression difficulty without grinding more than normal since you're not using what's considered to be best.

Everything just feels bad, it doesn't feel good to get a new ascension level and see my harpoon able to fire .01s faster. It doesn't feel good to do Chaos 1 after being nightmare 4 before and be stuck in this weird paradox crevice where I have better loot than what's being given but it's hard to push into the next difficulty. It doesn't feel good to play the game in general, with so many anti-player type enemies that outright make some classes useless for no reason other than an attempt to "shake up the meta" which usually ends up railroading into a different meta.

I agree entirely, and i relate man, I was die hard Huntress in dd1, but now she completely sucks.  Her traps in dd2 have always been inferior compared to other heroes and now even more so, but at least her dps used to shine, but now? all of my toons beat her out.  plus the tower changes now, in your post you said the training dummy was never viable, but mine was the backbone of my build due to the sword or shield my squire had that would teleport the enemy back to start. now it doesn't, it is completely useless. All our old sets we had farmed, the storm boots, the special this and that. they are still here, but stripped of their use. Trendy called this "The Endgame Update." but so much core game is still so wrong {worse now perhaps} that it is insulting...

I'd like to add, wtf is with the xp system? I've been farming Assault on Throneroom Campaign Hard for XP (harbinger gets boring) and you get around 630k xp. Do it on Chaos 1 and get only 140k xp. WTF? Shouldn't I be getting more from doing higher difficulty? I don't think I can do more than Chaos 1 right now, so I don't know how it scales. But this is bull***. Players shouldn't be forced to replay the same map, the same difficulty just to progress.

@Akutare quote:

Squire: Spike blockade is about the only useful one, Harpoon shoots too slow but about least pierces unlike the cannon balls which are just as slow, and the Dummy has NEVER been viable.

I feel like this, ultimately, is why I have not bothered to actually play a DD2 match in over a year now. They keep making changes that restrict players to a handful of defenses, wait a few months, make changes that restrict players to a different handful of defenses, wait a few months, etc. And the real kicker is that most of the time, they do this by making good changes and additions that should improve this aspect, but accompany them with changes and additions that force the new meta.
I was hoping that this update would be different and liked the look of the shard system and some of the other changes. But after hearing that most of my defenses were still going to be (mostly) useless, I just logged in to take a look at the interface changes and check out the shards system and then logged out again.

This update had enough good changes in it to keep me from giving up on the game entirely. Here's to hoping that Trendy can figure out how to change from having a handful of effective defenses to a rich selection of effective defenses with at most a handful of ineffective ones (because, unfortunately, the balance will never be perfect).

Games usually go trough dozens of iterations before its even remotely ressembling the final product, that is exactly what early acces is. If you do not like this and if you can not stand going trough different iterations which each have to balanced in a time consuming process then maybe you should avoid early acces games.

@Laghacks quote:

I'd like to add, wtf is with the xp system? I've been farming Assault on Throneroom Campaign Hard for XP (harbinger gets boring) and you get around 630k xp. Do it on Chaos 1 and get only 140k xp. WTF? Shouldn't I be getting more from doing higher difficulty? I don't think I can do more than Chaos 1 right now, so I don't know how it scales. But this is bull***. Players shouldn't be forced to replay the same map, the same difficulty just to progress.

Dont play practice mode, its been said a thousand times on these forums, practice mode gives jack *** in rewards, play Trials, and you get an easy 800k exp.

SB9pz06.jpg

@Robolord quote:

Games usually go trough dozens of iterations before its even remotely ressembling the final product, that is exactly what early acces is. If you do not like this and if you can not stand going trough different iterations which each have to balanced in a time consuming process then maybe you should avoid early acces games.

I would be fine with the iterations if it didn't make the game worse in some way almost every update.

hardly the case, I love early access, the problem with this game is it is a sequel, your fans have expectations, and you made a voting system and a pledge that you are going to be mindful of what your core group wants to see happen as this game develops, and trendy is not doing that. and calling this game "early access" at this point is a joke, it has been almost if not 2 years, and more of the fan base has fallen off than has joined in due to a distinct lack of direction, content, and consistency.  this feels now like a glorified freemium phone game where if i spend hundreds of hours i can get enough medals to buy an egg -_-. whoo-hoooo. 

@Robolord quote:

As the original anti hero deck guy I can say I am 100% satisfied with the current hero deck. The changes made to the current hero deck, in my opinion are better than DD1. It has all the same qualities and some new ones. That being said 

Currently I do not like the direction Trendy is going. Well honestly they have been slowly going this way since the start. Heroes are the stars not towers. Basically I feel like there are devs that are still holding on to this being a moba and would rather there not even be towers.

@Akutare quote:

i just unlocked the 20 nightmare demon scythe book for the abyssal lord, and it is awful compared to my current weapon, the molten tome of fire brimstone...  I am in the same rut, gear is way better than whats dropping from chaos 1 trials, but im not (somehow) able to do chaos 2...

Shards and ascension levels I've slow grinded up to chaos 4 with primarily lavamancer builds people the game is much better and closer to dd1 this is the best dd2 has ever been at least now there is 4 or 5 super useful towers and all walls are useful rather than pdt I win b. S.  That it was

@Akutare quote:

@Robolord quote:

I would be fine with the iterations if it didn't make the game worse in some way almost every update.

Almost everyone in the game is currently agreeing this patch is definetly a improvement, the game feels challenging again.

@xRaven72836x quote:

hardly the case, I love early access, the problem with this game is it is a sequel, your fans have expectations, and you made a voting system and a pledge that you are going to be mindful of what your core group wants to see happen as this game develops, and trendy is not doing that. and calling this game "early access" at this point is a joke, it has been almost if not 2 years, and more of the fan base has fallen off than has joined in due to a distinct lack of direction, content, and consistency.  this feels now like a glorified freemium phone game where if i spend hundreds of hours i can get enough medals to buy an egg -_-. whoo-hoooo. 

@Robolord quote:

It is the case, it is literally happening in front of your eyes, how is it not the case. This is just the next iteration we're going trough. They are responding quite well on the forums on feedback, often even telling reactions of the team members. 2 years is nothing in game development. Look at for example Half Life 2, that game went to 3 largely different story lines in a span of 2 years cutting tons of content.

This is what a early acces game is, I'm not sure what your vision about it is but this is literally what early acces is, going trough different iterations untill they find one they can balance to become a enjoyable game. You can call it a joke all you want, but this does not change the fact that this patch above all things proves that it is indeed a early acces title. You spend hundred of hours WITH this knowledge, you know that early acces games can change drastically over time, it has been told a thousand times by a thousand people.

If you do not like this, AVOID EARLY ACCES TITLES.

Here are 2 ideas that makes more tower or specific traps viable again.

Siegeroller: 

After pressing G to end the warmup let the game roll and assign the roller a fixed lane... so if a siegeroller spawn he would only come on this lane!

EMP Orc or all Special Mobs:

Yes Special Mobs is cool new feature but it limits the Tower you can use(And yes there are more tower you can build and not as is claimed.).

But you could for example a weekly, daily or with map start based rotation introduce, with more special mobs, so that is not always the EMP Orc. For example, similar to the WoW mythic + affixes.

These are just 2 short ideas that I had after reading the post and I'm sure there is much more!

How can you call this an endgame update when there is so much core game that is still so so wrong? No sets, pets all suck in comparison to dd1, mp survival mode? NO SURVIVAL MODE? i mean onslaught was pathetic but how hard is it to look at survival from dd1, and just port it oon over. rewards at wave 15 and 30, and keep on going. oh wait, we cant do that when our towers are hunks of dookey. FIX THIS GAME.