Attention all! We are looking for applicants for a Dungeon Defenders Street Team. The goals being to let as many people know about the game as possible come launch. Post here if you want to join along with your ideas for promotion AND compensation. I'd like this to be mostly community driven, so right now I'm just throwing out a couple of ideas

Some of our ideas:
-Getting people together to do a DD flash mob/cosplay skit. We could provide costumes, fake towers, weapons etc.
-Postering High-Traffic Areas
-Partnering with LAN events

Compensation ideas:
-controller skins, mousepads, console skins, etc. all signed by the Trendy Team of course!
-maybe something in-game (would this be more popular than physical stuff?)

Once we get everyones feedback we'll open up applications in this same thread!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea, but does it have to be a street team only? I work on DroidGamers.com and can post news there and I also work as a Team Lead at the retailer Target so I could set up posters around the store and outside the building and tell my team members not to take them down the week leading up to the game. Let me know what you need and I would be more than happy to help.

This is probably going to come off as me being a Negative Nancy, but demos, online videos, and online advertisements are probably the most effective advertising methods. There was this game called "Homefront" that did a promotional stunt that ended up with thousands of popped balloons in the San Francisco bay which pissed a lot of people off. Then after tons and tons of over-hyping the game was mediocre and didn't sell particularly well. Make an awesome game, get some cool videos on Gametrailers.com and other websites, maybe some banner ads. If you build an awesome game, they will come.

Dibs on the flash mob at the stupid chi bean... So long as I get to be the squre and you send Marc up with a shaved head for his monk role...

But in all honesty, I have to agree with blosu that the most effective would be the online ads and such... Tho a flash cosplay mob would totally rack up some YouTube views... If you wanted to send out players premade flyers, I be we could go around posting them... Or even just tag poles tho I can see people getting mad at that...

Last note... Who uses mousepads anymore???

Hmmm, I'm happy to help market it from Australia, however I have no idea what I could do for you? You already have a growing base in Australia!

I want to initiate some LAN games of DDFW at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey, in time for the Castle Point AnimConvention TOMORROW. But how to publicize this one... hmm...

I wonder if I can get away with playing it on the giant digital billboard on top of my business. Probably not, but I do have enough pull with local business owners to put up posters/flyers in stores where the right age group of people shop.

For what it's worth, I am a long-time lurker who has spent months and months eagerly anticipating and promoting this game with friends telling you guys astroturf advertisement will backfire. Let people promote it organically. If you believe in your product, providing a demo and a good gameplay video (which you already have) is all you need to have a successful release with lots of viral word of mouth promotion. I believe a lot of people here have been turned off by an astroturf promotion before but the allure of getting a reward for doing on a larger scale what they are already doing is incentive enough for them to forget that. It almost was for me, I must admit I originally registered with the intention to throw my hat into the ring on this.

But then I remembered... I detest being pitched to. The only pitching I want to hear is from my friends with first hand experience who are doing it PURELY because they love the game and want me to play it with them. Not because they are getting a mouse pad.

Sorry to be a stinker. I just thought I would offer my perspective. I hope I did not offend or overstep any forum rules. I sincerely enjoy DD:FW and am excited about the PC version. Please don't sour your own sales with astroturf promotions.

two words

HOT GIRLS

lol nothing sells anything better than hot girls wearing almost nothin :P

also most of these comments are true posters and ground work most likely will not get you sales
Demos and Gameplay footage ( in the right places IGN and things like that ) will get you most of your sales
although a viral youtube vid would do the job something really funny maybe get freddiew to do something up or get tombuscus to do a literal translation of your games video clip i only suggest these 2 as they are 1mil viewers

I have lan parties all the time! we are always looking for more sponsors!!! Next one is scheduled for april 30th. Only have labtec sponsoring it so far with some free microphones. usually play serious sam / urban terror / Cs Source.

Yeah I agree with most everyone on this, advertisement on the internet would be the best thing you could do.

Actually the best thing you could do it, if you could afford it, is to run a few commercial on a few major TV programs like during a "gaming show" like on G4TC or whatever it is. TV will reach more people at one time then a random site would I think... although I could be wrong.

No offense but it sounds like you guys don't want to pay many to make money, we forum members can only reach so many people and in the end it wouldn't be worth it... also most of us like the game so much we tell everyone we see about it anyways... lol.

I want TE to make it and do well with this game in sales so we can get more for the game and future games, but you need to take que from big titles like COD and make a couple cool looking commercials.... spend the $ and it will come back to you, sometimes you have to gamble to win big.

I have a dumb question but were is the trendy team based out of?

Street advertising is very use full in places like LA and miami but realy useless everywere else

Like most ppl I tend to spend a lot of time on youtube. This is probly the best free advertising around. Real ppl uploading videos is way more convincing then some smucks game review site or random posters

Okay, SUPER huge post:

I like this idea, but does it have to be a street team only? I work on DroidGamers.com and can post news there and I also work as a Team Lead at the retailer Target so I could set up posters around the store and outside the building and tell my team members not to take them down the week leading up to the game. Let me know what you need and I would be more than happy to help.

Things like this sounds great and are exactly what we're looking for. Does target sell xbla/psn cards for arcade games? Because if so, we should even be on sale in Target :).

This is probably going to come off as me being a Negative Nancy, but demos, online videos, and online advertisements are probably the most effective advertising methods. There was this game called "Homefront" that did a promotional stunt that ended up with thousands of popped balloons in the San Francisco bay which pissed a lot of people off. Then after tons and tons of over-hyping the game was mediocre and didn't sell particularly well. Make an awesome game, get some cool videos on Gametrailers.com and other websites, maybe some banner ads. If you build an awesome game, they will come.

Homefront actually sold incredibly well for being a medicore product, and it was obviously because of the millions of dollars they threw into advertising. That said, we'd like to think our game isn't mediocre. Also, I don't think you guys realize how expensive ad-buys are on gametrailers, kotaku, etc. They're ultimately not affordable for an indie studio like ourselves. And commercials are out of the question; one commercial could easily cost more than it cost us to make the game in the first place! Oh, and we're not going to advertise by littering/destroying the environment, you have my promise on that one. If we build an awesome game and people know our game exists they will come, so the trick is working on that last part as much as possible ;).

I wonder if I can get away with playing it on the giant digital billboard on top of my business. Probably not, but I do have enough pull with local business owners to put up posters/flyers in stores where the right age group of people shop.

If you could even just for a little bit, that would be SO awesome. If not the latter would definitely suffice.

But then I remembered... I detest being pitched to. The only pitching I want to hear is from my friends with first hand experience who are doing it PURELY because they love the game and want me to play it with them. Not because they are getting a mouse pad.

You are ENTIRELY right. But the idea isn't to have our street team pitch the game to people, we HATE that too. The idea is to simply bring awareness to Dungeon Defenders. For example, if we gave really awesome Dungeon Defenders t-shirts to everyone on the forum there's a good chance some people would ask you what your shirt is for, then you can tell people whatever YOU want or would normally say in that situation. The only difference being you now got that awesome DD shirt for free ;). Maybe street team isn't the right word I'm looking for this group? If you hung posters around a local college campus or in a place where a local LAN meets, people would remember that when they were browsing XBLA/Steam and maybe check out the trial. We wouldn't try to buy anyone's loyalty, just give them free stuff to help them spread the word about DD.

I have lan parties all the time! we are always looking for more sponsors!!! Next one is scheduled for april 30th. Only have labtec sponsoring it so far with some free microphones. usually play serious sam / urban terror / Cs Source.

Cool, how many people showed up? Do you think if you had some cool mousepads to give away as prizes or something, people would be interested in checking the DD demo out when it was on Steam?

I have a dumb question but were is the trendy team based out of?

Street advertising is very use full in places like LA and miami but realy useless everywere else

Like most ppl I tend to spend a lot of time on youtube. This is probly the best free advertising around. Real ppl uploading videos is way more convincing then some smucks game review site or random posters

Haha, you hit it on the nose. We are in Gainesville, FL which is why we're DEFINITELY looking for people in LA/miami/etc. And I completely agree with you, that is the whole point of this kind of advertising. If we had a huge DD styled cosplay battle on a college campus or at a video game/anime convention, we'd hope people would be interested and post their own videos on youtube, etc.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Just a quick question. Would banner ads on stuff like Penny Arcade and Ctrl Alt Del be out of your price range? Those might be cheaper (I don't really know, might be just as bad) than gametrailers or kotaku but would still reach a huge number of gamers.

You are ENTIRELY right. But the idea isn't to have our street team pitch the game to people, we HATE that too. The idea is to simply bring awareness to Dungeon Defenders. For example, if we gave really awesome Dungeon Defenders t-shirts to everyone on the forum there's a good chance some people would ask you what your shirt is for, then you can tell people whatever YOU want or would normally say in that situation. The only difference being you now got that awesome DD shirt for free ;). Maybe street team isn't the right word I'm looking for this group? If you hung posters around a local college campus or in a place where a local LAN meets, people would remember that when they were browsing XBLA/Steam and maybe check out the trial. We wouldn't try to buy anyone's loyalty, just give them free stuff to help them spread the word about DD.

I appreciate the response. I respect that much more than the vibe I was getting from the outset of the thread. I will definitely keep promoting DD to everyone in my ever-growing circle of nerds (as I do with all good products and services I encounter, especially ones that are more fun the more people you know play it!). Once it is released I intend to try to center some of my semi-weekly "Nerd Nights" on it if I can get enough other folk to buy copies.

Again though, I think your game will be a success simply on its own merit. When a game is good it doesn't matter how much or little you advertise. The big networks are FORCED to talk about your game because all of us dorks out there are playing it and it's what we want to talk about. ;)

Edit: Oh and I'd take a t-shirt any day! Haha

I go to a lan party every so often here in Sacramento and sometimes in the Bay Area. I would be happy to pass out some info at the next events I goto, Also these kinds of events are well received with the free swag =P There is always someone giving stuff out there =)

Andy

i go to ucsd and i would be willing to post up fliers and stuff :)

haha and if i got shirts i probably could get my suit mates to wear em around

Spend some advertising dollars on websites that are relevant to your genre, maybe. Elitistjerks, solomid, teamliquid are all sites that cater to gamers with a wide array of appetites.

Starcraft and warcraft fansites might not seem like an obvious choice, but remember that Starcraft essentially created the TD genre.

To be honest I would never wear a DD t shirt(it would screw up my tough guy fasade)

But lots of companies expand their sales staff by having users promote online for them

Ex. My friend promotes sportsmen equipment on verious hunting and fishing forums. Then he sends links to his posts back to the company and for x amount of posts he gets a free hat or jacket or what ever. They made some kinda guide line for him so he's not just spamming random sites but when someone asks a question like who makes the best hiking boots or whatever he referes them. Its not his job but he's on most of the formes anyways so they give him swag to tlk their stuff up

Obviously its a totaly different market but the method could work the same for games

Idk just a thought

To be honest I would never wear a DD t shirt(it would screw up my tough guy fasade)

But lots of companies expand their sales staff by having users promote online for them

Ex. My friend promotes sportsmen equipment on verious hunting and fishing forums. Then he sends links to his posts back to the company and for x amount of posts he gets a free hat or jacket or what ever. They made some kinda guide line for him so he's not just spamming random sites but when someone asks a question like who makes the best hiking boots or whatever he referes them. Its not his job but he's on most of the formes anyways so they give him swag to tlk their stuff up

Obviously its a totaly different market but the method could work the same for games

Idk just a thought

What you're talking about is called shilling. That's different from what Trendy is talking about. Shilling is a dirty and underhanded practice where someone with a fiduciary interest in a recommendation pretends to be another simple unbiased enthusiast.

im sure no one on the forum would say no to a sick free dundef shirt to wear around although i doubt anyone i know will be like whats that shirt about as i have made all there ears bleed goin on about this game :P