List of suggestions or how to make some positive out of the negative

Hey ho,

The whole idea of this topic is to try to be positive as much as we can and give ideas/suggestions of what us community would like to see changed in order to appreciate more the game. So far it has been a bit too much about "this is bad and that is wrong" (and I include myself in it). Which I don't think is a bad thing as such because it is only fair for consumers to be disappointed when a product gets worse from their point of view (and yes we are consumers in the end, just saying).

So I will start with my suggestions and I invite you all to give feedback on them but more importantly to also share your suggestions. I insist on the fact that it is best to keep things tidy and constructive in order to actually make the game better. (Sorry for the shape of the 1. repeated over and over I did my best to keep the thing tidy with the tool I had and my little brain)

"Problems" - suggestions:

• "Shard drops feel unrewarding, too random and underwhelming" 
  1. Distribute all the shards of the game accross all the maps and difficulties (in defense mode only, not ascension). We have 21 maps and 5 difficulties; 21 x 5 = 105 combinations of each map in each difficulties. From the devstream we heard from Blacksmith that there is roughly 300 shards in the game. That means that each map in each difficulty could contain only 3 different fix shards. On top of that I suggest that whenever a player is in the menu to choose a map, in the description of the map the UI says "This map can reward you with the following shards [List of the 3 shards]!". Only one of the three shard would drop at the end of the map only if cleared successfully. This would let a small part of RNG intact but allow players to go for the shards they truly need for their build (and remove the huge confusion on what difficulty they need to do to get that one shard). Obviously this idea could be done differently by tweaking numbers etc. More info on the shards drops in the next section
  • "It gets really repetitive and boring to play on only 5 maps per chaos playlist."
  1. Two solutions regularly come out to solve this problem: To refresh each playlist on a regular basis (every week for example just like Weekly quest resets) or to simply have any random map among the 21 in the Trials "mode". I don't think that refreshing the playlist would change much of the situation because it would still become repetitive within every week (specially when you are able to farm only Chaos V). The playlist could also both be refreshed and bigger (such as 10 maps) but if you are a bit unlucky you can still end fairly often on the same maps over and over. I think having all maps in the game chosen at random is best for multiple reasons. First it is very refreshing to play on some maps that we usually never do (Greystone plaza and the Dead road are the two first that come to my mind but you see my point) and second it forces you to always think about your build and adapt it for every single map and not just for the small playlist. The other idea that comes with is to make it a true playlist as in clearing a map and picking "Continue" make that the next map will grant better rewards. The idea would be to have +25% medals, gold and drop chance on the second map, +50% on the third and next ones (no point in going too high up). Obviously any loss would break the chain and put you back to no bonus. On top of that the bonus chain streak could also get you two shards in the second map and all the three shards of the map (see the first point about shard  loots to understand why three shards) on the third and after of the win streak. This would actually motivate people to be really good and give rewards to good players.
  • "The hero deck UI is really not enjoyable to use when you have so many heroes."
  1. For this one I made a mockup (basically schematics of a new suggestion of interface) of what the UI could look like. The idea is that we go back to a grid of heroes but much bigger than the previous one we had. Each hero can we swapped places on the grid and icons on top of the hero collection allows to filter per hero (I'm sorry in the example I didn't changed the icons so only the Huntress one is interactive, but in the final idea all the classes of heroes you have created would automatically appear as filters, not the bags icons obviously). You can download and play with the mockup (pdf file) here (It is interactive and I hope it will work for you as a .pdf; you can interact with manage my heroes, the arrows in the hero collection menu and the huntress filter option on top of the hero collection). For those who don't want to try the pdf here are the images of the interface instead: page 1, page 2, page 3 and page 4.
  • "Gaining ascension levels doesn't feel rewarding/Ascension forces me to create so many heroes because of how the defense column is designed!"
  1. I suggest a complete rework of the Ascension. The system stays the same to gain levels but the rewards are a bit different. Every 10 levels all heroes gain 2 points to spend (one in each of two columns). The first column is the Hero column the second is the Defense column. Each column offers only two choices as follow:

Hero column:

- Fighter : Gives +1% of Hero Damage and Hero Critical Damage and +0,5% chance of critical hit per point invested.

- Caster : Gives +1% of Ability Power, Cooldown reduction, Pet ability Cooldown reduction and + 0,2 ressource every 5s.

The hero column allows you to choose between a more "auto-hit" oriented gameplay, a more "casting spells over and over" gameplay or to mix and match the two as you like.

Defense column:

- Builder : Gives +1% of each Primary stat of each relic (so if it's a totem +1% defense health, if a medallion +1% defense power etc;) and +0,5% of each secondary stat of each relic.

- Worker : Gives a +1% bonus speed to repair and upgrade defenses and + 0,2 green crystal every 5s.

The defense column allows you to choose between building the strongest defenses, not building anything but helping the defenses in battle or to mix and match both approach to build average defenses but still being able to maintain them alive and upgrade them often and quickly.

You probably now wonder why the system would be so simplistic. The twist is that for every 100, 250 and 500 levels you can unlock respectively small, medium and big perks. (Which is by the way 10, 25, 50 point spent in each column to give you an idea). A decent choice of perks would be provided with most being general and a few specific per hero. The idea is that perks can allow you to customize a bit the way you like to play  the game. Many players have asked to have a double jump shard, make it a small perk. Perks could give many opportunities and the difference between shards and perks is that perks are unlocked for sure after X levels while shards are items that you have to upgrade, have multiples of the same if you like it etc. Perks are more like what you would see in a talent tree. Lastly I suggest that every 1000 ascension levels players can reborn and restart their ascension. They go back to lvl 0 ascension (with one star per rebirth to indicate how many rebirth they had) but the thing is that they keep all the points from their previous ascensions. They however lose all perks and have to regain them but can keep one new perk per rebirth (so they start with one perk at rebirth 1, two perks at rebirth 2 and so on). Each rebirth would give only 90% of the stat bonuses of the previous ascension in comparison, this is simply to avoid having an infinite progression in power, the idea is that after 5 rebirth approximately  (level 5000 so) players would gain about 10% of what they would gain on level 1 in terms of stats (and it would stay capped not to reach too low values either) so it becomes grindy but still "effective" in a way. Also some very strong perks could be available only after X rebirth (for example new perks added in new big updates etc).

• "Playing solo is much harder and doesn't give more rewards!"
  1. Many solutions are possible to solve this problem. I will focus only on one which is simply the one I prefer (logic no?). Simply return to a similar system as before with only a few lanes with big pressure from enemies. Having roughly a quarter of the lanes of the map being flooded with chaos enemies while the others are relatively easier in solo play, half of the lanes in 2 players, 3 quarters in 3 players and all lanes in 4 players. This suggestion will be heavily tied with the last and next one so please read it too to understand better the whole picture.
  • "The new chaos enemies make some defenses very underwhelming  and require too much attention!"
  1. Many solutions can again be implemented. Lowering a tad the number of enemies could be good but to stay closer to what the devs seem to have in mind I suggest something a bit different. Each lane can feature only a few of the 5 new enemies at the same time. For example in Chaos II each lane can only feature Shield Goblins or Cyborcs, these indications would be given at any wave (even if the lane is currently not a "pressurized one" (see the previous suggestion to understand this) to plan in advance what kind of defenses will be needed for the next waves on each lanes. Chaos III and IV would feature two of the three/four special enemies per lane requiring a bit more adaptability. Finally Chaos V would allow a combination of 3 of the 5 enemies to be present on each lane. This concept would require a great adaptability from players to plan their builds at the start of each map but would allow for a great variety of builds. For example if you face Shield Goblins + Geodes you can go nuts on the traps and auras. If you face Shield Goblins + Cyborcs a mix of traps/auras + towers would do the trick. With this idea each lane will feel more unique and thanks to the random aspect replaying the same map wouldn't always feel like the same story because each playthrough would feature different pressurized lanes for each waves and each lane can be pressurized according to many different combinations.

I have finally concluded my massive list of suggestions. I hope anyone manage to read at least part of it and that it doesn't sound like the ideas from a mad man. Again I invite everyone to keep this thread as tidy as possible and to give feedback in the most constructive and "positive" way as possible. The better it is the more chances we have to be heard by the devteam.

The most constructive suggestion I can give, is that this belongs in the Suggestions forum.

I agree, though let's face it about 5% of the person using the forum actually go in suggestions. And the whole point is to try to reach a consensus among the community to give constructive feedback to the devteam instead of multiplying the complains threads.

Perhaps because people just post everything here despite knowing better, all for the same reason of increasing views?

I spent an hour posting my suggestions in the proper forum, because I believe Trendy created it for a reason, and I don't feel the need to knowingly post in the wrong location just to increase visibility.

@JCav quote:

Perhaps because people just post everything here despite knowing better, all for the same reason of increasing views?

I spent an hour posting my suggestions in the proper forum, because I believe Trendy created it for a reason, and I don't feel the need to knowingly post in the wrong location just to increase visibility.

I did not do it on purpose per say. I did it at the same place where all the complains posts are at the moments (and in most of these complaints posts people are giving suggestions). In any case if Isom wants to move it in the suggestions part of the forum so be it, though I really don't think it would be helping the community.

I think that shard drops should function similar to legendary gems in diablo3.  If I see one more "increase X when attacked" shard I might go crazy.  Instead, the game should look at your inventory, and only give you a shard you don't already have, with currently equipped shards not counting.  That way, if you've already gotten everything but are waiting on that one shard you need.  I'm still stuck on Chaos I waiting for that range shard, and getting Lavamancer shards (when I don't own him) can get really frustrating.

@Valthejean quote:

I think that shard drops should function similar to legendary gems in diablo3.  If I see one more "increase X when attacked" shard I might go crazy.  Instead, the game should look at your inventory, and only give you a shard you don't already have, with currently equipped shards not counting.  That way, if you've already gotten everything but are waiting on that one shard you need.  I'm still stuck on Chaos I waiting for that range shard, and getting Lavamancer shards (when I don't own him) can get really frustrating.

I can't fully agree with you. I mean there will be situations where you will want to stack the same shards several times even if you don't have it equipped. Dropping shards only for heroes you have would be a good start for sure, specially without a trade system implemented.

Great thoughts!  Posted here or in suggestions.  Great ideas for them to chew on.

There is no positivity. There is no light. Only darkness, and pain, and misery, and death await.

The only positive with this patch is that I now have a reason to play other games that I neglected with the trials updates.

I'd be curious to know if "my" hero deck interface influenced the new version that we are having "soon". Because even if it wasn't the most original idea ever the new version will be pretty much identical (with a bit less feature).

Funny though still.