It's been 2 years, and your inventory system still kills the game

This is a rant, but I'm also going to tell you how to fix the damn thing.

For starters, an inventory system in a loot-centric game should have at least three criteria met which yours does not.

1) It should be easy to sort.
2) It should be easy to compare to what you have equipped.
3) It should be easy to switch what you have equipped with what you've found.

1) Why is it not easy to sort? For starters, the "Auto-collect" does not appear to function, particularly if any bags have overlapping criteria. There's nothing automatic about the collection of the loot (actually picking it up), so that seems to be a misnomer. I spent 15 minutes deciding how I wanted my bags to sort items and after each map, my loot is 90+% just thrown into my first bag which does not have any filters. Hardly useful.

At a minimum, loot should be deposited into the first bag which meets the criteria for that piece of loot based on auto-collection filters. EDIT: It would be nice if Auto-Collect actually collected (picked up) items as it sounds like it should.

For instance, my bags have some of the following:

One bag is Weapons and Armor for my 4 current heroes which is Epic or better in quality.
The next bag is Weapons and Armor of Epic or better for the 6 heroes I'm not using.
Another bag is any and all sort of Relics, Pet stuff and a few other miscellaneous icons I cannot recall.
My final bag is Weapons and Armor of any quality less than Epic, for all classes (my trash bag).

There's no reason for automatic sorting to get confused if multiple bags would meet the criteria. Select the first "Auto-collect" bag from the list which meets the criteria for that item and put it in there unless it's full.

2) Why is it a nightmare to compare what you have equipped versus what you've found - particularly with marks/totems/etc? 

As an example, I will describe what I encountered last night with my Apprentice. Obviously he has 4 Defense skills, and therefore 4 marks equipped. I had found several new ones (which in relation to #1 were NOT sorted at all, thank you...) I hovered over it and it decided to popup a comparison tool to ONE of my other equipped marks. The game did not show me a comparison to all four that I had equipped - it chose to compare ONLY the Mark for my 4th skill.

The new item was better, so I decided to right click on it, thinking it would obviously replace the one it was comparing it to. 

It did not. It replaced the Mark for my first skill, despite not having that listed as a comparison. So then I had to manually go look at each and every Mark on each character in my hero deck to compare. Then I had to do that for my other three characters, one Mark at a time.

Why? Why not have a comparison tool pop-up for ALL the Marks you have equipped for that character? You've got the screen-space to do it. Not doing so just causes me more work and time. It makes it a chore to find and compare new loot. 

Furthermore, you have hotkeys listed to swap between my different heroes (F1-F4), yet in the inventory screen that doesn't work. So I have to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to change heroes, then back to the item I was trying to compare, then down to all four Marks for that hero to compare each one, then repeat the process. Hardly a streamlined process.

The F1-F4 hotkeys should work in the inventory screen to swap the currently-viewed hero. EDIT: They do work, but only if the mouse is already on the Character Details side of the screen. If the mouse is on the Inventory side, they do not.

3) Why is it not easy to switch what you have equipped with what you've found?

For starters, because comparing anything which is not a weapon or armor involves far too much manual comparison as I just mentioned. But another thing happened with the example I gave previously with my Apprentice which I saved for this point.

When I did get the correct Mark swapped out, the Shard which was in my old Mark - and could have fit into the new Mark, was NOT automatically transferred over. Old piece of equipment had a green shard space (filled), and the new piece of equipment had a green shard space (empty). Why not transfer it?

So not only did I have to manually compare the Mark to all four skills with all four heroes, one at a time, but then I had to re-open the old Mark, remove the shard, then open the new one again, and find that shard and put it back in. Time-consuming, and wasteful enough of my time that I dread actually playing the game and finding new loot.

If something has a shard, and is being replaced with an item which contains a spot for the same shard to go into, it should carry that shard into the new piece of equipment automatically.

There are plenty of games out there which revolve around gathering loot which have streamlined, convenient inventory systems. There's no need to try and re-invent the wheel here, and there's no need for it to still be as cumbersome as it is in DunDef2. At least for my input, it is not enjoyable to manage the loot this game is built around.

I agree completely with the sorting part. I had to move 2 entire full bags around, instead of dragging the bag somewhere else.

Also, in autocollect I can't put "rarity" icons like I had before with was more useful than a gem-filled chest, a bag and a crappy bag icon. Not very visually indicative.

The hero changing method is a total mess. The process is a LOT slower, and having well over a dozen heroes (3~4 of each because of pre-patch) makes it worse.

Really, we need auto-sorting. Y'all guys forgot about that.

@JCav quote:

This is a rant, but I'm also going to tell you how to fix the damn thing.

For starters, an inventory system in a loot-centric game should have at least three criteria met which yours does not.

1) It should be easy to sort.
2) It should be easy to compare to what you have equipped.
3) It should be easy to switch what you have equipped with what you've found.

1) Why is it not easy to sort? For starters, the "Auto-collect" does not appear to function, particularly if any bags have overlapping criteria. There's nothing automatic about the collection of the loot (actually picking it up), so that seems to be a misnomer. I spent 15 minutes deciding how I wanted my bags to sort items and after each map, my loot is 90+% just thrown into my first bag which does not have any filters. Hardly useful.

At a minimum, loot should be deposited into the first bag which meets the criteria for that piece of loot based on auto-collection filters. 

For instance, my bags have some of the following:

One bag is Weapons and Armor for my 4 current heroes which is Epic or better in quality.
The next bag is Weapons and Armor of Epic or better for the 6 heroes I'm not using.
Another bag is any and all sort of Relics, Pet stuff and a few other miscellaneous icons I cannot recall.
My final bag is Weapons and Armor of any quality less than Epic, for all classes (my trash bag).

There's no reason for automatic sorting to get confused if multiple bags would meet the criteria. Select the first "Auto-collect" bag from the list which meets the criteria for that item and put it in there unless it's full.

2) Why is it a nightmare to compare what you have equipped versus what you've found - particularly with marks/totems/etc? 

As an example, I will describe what I encountered last night with my Apprentice. Obviously he has 4 Defense skills, and therefore 4 marks equipped. I had found several new ones (which in relation to #1 were NOT sorted at all, thank you...) I hovered over it and it decided to popup a comparison tool to ONE of my other equipped marks. The game did not show me a comparison to all four that I had equipped - it chose to compare ONLY the Mark for my 4th skill.

The new item was better, so I decided to right click on it, thinking it would obviously replace the one it was comparing it to. 

It did not. It replaced the Mark for my first skill, despite not having that listed as a comparison. So then I had to manually go look at each and every Mark on each character in my hero deck to compare. Then I had to do that for my other three characters, one Mark at a time.

Why? Why not have a comparison tool pop-up for ALL the Marks you have equipped for that character? You've got the screen-space to do it. Not doing so just causes me more work and time. It makes it a chore to find and compare new loot. 

Furthermore, you have hotkeys listed to swap between my different heroes (F1-F4), yet in the inventory screen that doesn't work. So I have to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other to change heroes, then back to the item I was trying to compare, then down to all four Marks for that hero to compare each one, then repeat the process. Hardly a streamlined process.

The F1-F4 hotkeys should work in the inventory screen to swap the currently-viewed hero.

3) Why is it not easy to switch what you have equipped with what you've found?

For starters, because comparing anything which is not a weapon or armor involves far too much manual comparison as I just mentioned. But another thing happened with the example I gave previously with my Apprentice which I saved for this point.

When I did get the correct Mark swapped out, the Shard which was in my old Mark - and could have fit into the new Mark, was NOT automatically transferred over. Old piece of equipment had a green shard space (filled), and the new piece of equipment had a green shard space (empty). Why not transfer it?

So not only did I have to manually compare the Mark to all four skills with all four heroes, one at a time, but then I had to re-open the old Mark, remove the shard, then open the new one again, and find that shard and put it back in. Time-consuming, and wasteful enough of my time that I dread actually playing the game and finding new loot.

If something has a shard, and is being replaced with an item which contains a spot for the same shard to go into, it should carry that shard into the new piece of equipment automatically.

There are plenty of games out there which revolve around gathering loot which have streamlined, convenient inventory systems. There's no need to try and re-invent the wheel here, and there's no need for it to still be as cumbersome as it is in DunDef2. At least for my input, it is not enjoyable to manage the loot this game is built around.

Oh my God, it's like you read my mind on most of this. THANK YOU.

Give us an option to sort per bag. The filter thing is great, but I want my sorting per bag option back also.

Give us an ability to easily move things around. Having to click each item, each bag, and each space that I want that item to sit in takes forever. And it's soul draining. I want to play the game, not play with the inventory for two hours.

How about letting us select multiple items at one time? Or simply allowing a bag to "pull" all items that you specify to it?

I completely agree with JCav for a game based around constantly getting new and better loot a good inventory and item comparison is essential.

So I tried to equip only one Totem, Mark, Medallion and Orb on a character, hoping that the comparison tooltip would at least show me the same "kind" of Relic.

It did not.

So for now, the fastest way to actually deal with your inventory after leveling up a few times, IMO, is just to remove everything and start over.

4) On the only inventory screen which allows sorting, a secondary filter is needed for (at minimum) sorting the filtered items by Rarity, or Level.

Trendy, please listen to this person's ideas.

@JCav quote:

4) On the only inventory screen which allows sorting, a secondary filter is needed for (at minimum) sorting the filtered items by Rarity, or Level.