Im reading a bunch of posts and lots of users seems to be pointing to ascension to get through Chaos(increase range of towers etc)

I may of received this wrong but isn't Ascension more to just make you more godlike?   If its required to play the higher levels then this patch is just......<negative comment>

Sure you need gems and asc...
You wanted to go throught chaos 5 without anythin'? what's the point...

@๖ۣۜPhoenixX quote:

Im reading a bunch of posts and lots of users seems to be pointing to ascension to get through Chaos(increase range of towers etc)

I may of received this wrong but isn't Ascension more to just make you more godlike?   If its required to play the higher levels then this patch is just......<negative comment>

Yes and no.

Thing is most ascension "powers" are just bonuses but (and it's a big but) range being obtainable only via a single shard and a specific ascension power (which I think is a really bad one by the way). You can feel forced to grind ascension.

The power basically gives you +30 range at the cost of -30 defense power, which as every power you can improve only every 3rd level. I'll use the PDT as an example as it is one of the very few tower with a decent range by default. PDT has 3000 range by default with the new update. So if you want just a 33% improvement you will need to spend 33 points in its associated gambit which means having Ascension level 99 minimum. By doing so you will have +999 range for your PDT but (and again, massive but) it will lose 999 defense power.

In the end the only good way to get range is to have the appropriate shard (unless you really, really, really need 3 specific shards for your defense and are ready to sacrifice range in exchange).

And the other important thing to note is that the column featuring the range gambits also feature the % crit chance and the crit damage (both for hero and defenses). So it is best to go for crit chance and then crit damage in my opinion and do the range with the shard. So in the end I'd say ascension isn't required to beat higher difficulties. Good shards and using the very few reliable defenses is.